Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Not sure if this was posted yet but the price cap is expected to fall significantly in July. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-65655866.amp

Hopefully the trend continues.

At least we’re at a time of year when heating isn’t needed, not many lights are needed, not hot enough for air con. Still paying a fair bit on electricity though vs historical prices.

Agile is looking good too. Daytime low of ~11p per kWh today & even the peak is only 30p!

Gas Tracker at 3.74p per kWh isn't far off pre-pandemic prices. Just had a look at bills from 2019 and I was paying 3.25p.

isnt it because it is paid for in advance so the stuff being used now was paid for 12 months ago.

assuming this is true (it may not be but i think it is how it works) imo the question should be how come octopus offer products with no lock in period which allows us to completely ignore the futures prices and get for the today price...... i could kind of get it if we were locked in, we would be taking a gamble.. but on the currenty walk away at any time policy i genuinely cant see how the house can win if the customer is on the ball (great for us)

Last edited:
isnt it because it is paid for in advance so the stuff being used now was paid for 12 months ago.

assuming this is true (it may not be but i think it is how it works) imo the question should be how come octopus offer products with no lock in period which allows us to completely ignore the futures prices and get for the today price...... i could kind of get it if we were locked in, we would be taking a gamble.. but on the currenty walk away at any time policy i genuinely cant see how the house can win if the customer is on the ball (great for us)
Maybe that's why Octopus have put a 6 month waiting list on Tracker? A little bit of revenue protection/risk mitigation?

i know electricity wise octopus can probably outcompete some because they have a lot of their own wind generation.... but that said, that does not seem like the normal hard nosed capitalist business decision big companies usually make.

and it still does not explain their Gas prices.

Agile is looking good too. Daytime low of ~11p per kWh today & even the peak is only 30p!

Gas Tracker at 3.74p per kWh isn't far off pre-pandemic prices. Just had a look at bills from 2019 and I was paying 3.25p.

I've been thinking about switching over to this when my Octopus Go expires next month.

imo the question should be how come octopus offer products with no lock in period which allows us to completely ignore the futures prices and get for the today price....

Because they are selling to you at day ahead prices, there is no lock in, they buy it and you use it whatever the cost. In periods of low volatility, generally warm with low demand and high gas reserves this is going to outperform.

My year fix with Eon ends next month, there offering me a new one year fix at.
ElectricityGas
Daily standing charge36.10p14.81p
Unit rate40.89p per kWh (Day)
12.51p per kWh (Night)
8.23p per kWh

I think that I will still be moving to Octopus at the end of my deal.
Not bad standing charges.

I think that unit rate and SC combo on gas might well be profitable over my circa 4-5p gas unit rate and 27p on SC.

£3.90 saving a month on the SC.

But my higher SC (after 1st July) and much lower unit rate on electricity probably still beats that combo. however I think for a light-moderate user thats not bad going from SVR.

The main issue being though is the downward trending in prices.

Last edited:
I don't think I would fix on that. Flip yourself over to Octopus and ride the Agile wave until a bit later in the year so you get the benefit of immediately cheaper electric.

Gas on SVR doesn't matter much at the moment really, not as if you need heating on now.

It's been widely reported by various sources over the weekend that prices won't go down to 2021 prices for another 7-10 years, despite the fact the wholesale price is now back bewlow the 2021 price. Pure profiteering. If this was France there would be riots on the streets

It's been widely reported by various sources over the weekend that prices won't go down to 2021 prices for another 7-10 years, despite the fact the wholesale price is now back bewlow the 2021 price. Pure profiteering. If this was France there would be riots on the streets
Reported by who?

The cap price is set by ofgem not energy companies.

Back
Top Bottom