Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

why would I even want one? there's no benefit to me
Massive inconvenience to even get one installed, if they are getting paid per meter from the government or something they should pass on some of it to the consumers who have to be in the house for an hour

Because with my smart meter, my average unit cost for electricity is 15p/kWh instead of the SVR rate of 33p/kWh that you are forced into with a manual meter.

EON are literally spamming me about smart meters.
In the last 3 weeks I've had 2 letters in the post, 3-4 text messages and every time they send a text message they also sent an email.

Had Utilita come round to telling me I don't have a smart meter and how I need one, I was like *** ***

I guess all the electric companies are trying to poach each others customers by forcing them to think they need to get a smart meter.

The utilita guy was trying to make out im on a list of addresses that don't have one yet, is that even a thing? or was he just trying to make it seem like I wouldn't be switching energy suppliers because he never explained that bit.
They must be either installing meters in your area or otherwise keen to sign people up I'm on the "want" list for smartmeters from EON for the last couple of years and nada, nothing they're either not interested or can't be arsed havn't gotten around to connecting up our area.

why would I even want one? there's no benefit to me
Massive inconvenience to even get one installed, if they are getting paid per meter from the government or something they should pass on some of it to the consumers who have to be in the house for an hour
They are paid for through your electric bill, you’ve already paid for it/are paying for it whether you get one or not.

It’s not a ‘massive inconvenience’, they’ll come at a mutually agreeable time and the power will be off for half an hour, bit if a first world problem really.

They can only backdate 12 months for their mistake. It’s their problem I stated when I moved in it looked wrong but they said I was mistaken. Been like it for 3 years now so no point owning up as the most they can claim for is 12 months.
That has been in place longer than a decade, they never seem to tell you that.

Scottish power keep on about how I should get a smart meter, how it would save me money and how good they are. I just have to say no I don’t like technology as the real reason is they have messed up my economy 7 meter for the last 3 years as the night and day rate are the wrong way. Currently paying 9.6p for most of my electric!
that is a nice mistake to have....... one of my mates since moving in to his home has never had a gas bill.... he phoned them about it right at the start but nothing happened and so he just kept on going. .... he is selling his house now after about 10 years. this would be a sizable chunk of change for anyone ..... but he has a gas heated swimming pool!.

Last edited:
that is a nice mistake to have....... one of my mates since moving in to his home has never had a gas bill.... he phoned them about it right at the start but nothing happened and so he just kept on going. .... he is selling his house now after about 10 years. this would be a sizable chunk of change for anyone ..... but he has a gas heated swimming pool!.
When the house sells and the new owners move in, that's probably when he'll get a large bill. But I believe back billing only allows the last 2 years usage to be paid, so he still might get a shock.

Even so, my advice is to take photos of the meters on the day of moving out and keep them safe.

When the house sells and the new owners move in, that's probably when he'll get a large bill. But I believe back billing only allows the last 2 years usage to be paid, so he still might get a shock.

Even so, my advice is to take photos of the meters on the day of moving out and keep them safe.
the thing with that..... how can they know what was from the last 2 years and what was from 8 years ago? he doesnt have a smart meter (the main reason precisely because he didnt want to draw attention to himself.

tbh i am not sure exactly the details. i dunno if his meter is broken and is not recording the gas used... or if he is getting a supply but he is not registered with a supplier

i should quiz him more next time i see him over a beer.

I was highly sceptical of smart meters and deferred the installation for years; I always knew it was a precursor to surge pricing and peak periods etc BUT I have to say although all of those things have come true it really has been for the betterment of the household customers accepting the Ukraine / energy situation has likely skewed this outcome even further.

I neither have Solar or EV and with little changes to my household usage and demands; my electricity energy costs have halved with Octopus Agile. Considering their peak period is between 4 - 7 pm but even then, between those times, the unit cost is still lower than the SVT; you'd be a mug not to get on it.

Have observed peak price period starting earlier in warm weather, people turning on A/C when they get home from work/school?

Have observed peak price period starting earlier in warm weather, people turning on A/C when they get home from work/school?
With Agile, it fluctuates day to day;

E.G. Todays and Tomorrows cost breakdown
oeagile.png

Both of those days peak starting around 4pm. I wasnt talking about the price variance, but the peak time start, in winter was nearer to 6pm.
Oh of course, Yes; One presumes the peak periods / durations will change based on the seasons but with no exit fees, it's a no brainer for right now. Time wil tell what the situastion is in 6 months.

AC doesn't use that much power and not much of the population has it. Less than 5% of houses iirc. Can't see that driving any surges.

Last edited:
Oh of course, Yes; One presumes the peak periods / durations will change based on the seasons but with no exit fees, it's a no brainer for right now. Time wil tell what the situastion is in 6 months.
Yeah its not a problem, just something I observed.

Agile peak 4-7 was the same in winter - dinner time - if you look at earlier linked site V - prices were horrendous though (perhaps govt cap reduced 40p&60p averages)

you can checkout any periods, and use the site to see how much you might save with agile 30p/day personally

Agile peak 4-7 was the same in winter - dinner time - if you look at earlier linked site V - prices were horrendous though (perhaps govt cap reduced 40p&60p averages)

you can checkout any periods, and use the site to see how much you might save with agile 30p/day personally
I cant get to 4pm on the historical graph it goes from 3.30pm straight to 4.30pm, the graphs seem to have a much shallower peak , but yeah not going up as late as I thought I remembered them doing so maybe 30 mins later. Instead it seems the peak ended earlier after 6.30pm.

Don't folks get chased for this in the end? U vaguely remember someone saying there was time limit you could be chased up.

Don't folks get chased for this in the end? U vaguely remember someone saying there was time limit you could be chased up.
Not if the gas meter wasn’t registered when it was installed. That’s not as uncommon as you think it would be. If you have no contract with the supplier which you won’t have if it’s not registered, you can’t be billed for it.

The biggest risk is being prosecuted for gas theft, because that is what it is. However, if you have reported it and they’ve done nothing about it, it will be hard to call it theft.

If you do have a contract with a supplier (including a deemed contract on the SVR) and they have not billed you, the furthest they can go back is a year.

Back
Top Bottom