Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I don't think Agile has the same mass appeal as the tracker tariff, peak prices are still pretty high and it requires a bit of effort to get the best out of it.

I'm trying to find tracker prices from last summer, earliest I can find is Dec 22.

Tracker is surprisingly good (at the moment). The only way Agile works for most people is if you can shift your load away from peak times, so if you work a 9-5 or have kids the peak rates are right when you want to be cooking which I find is the major energy spike in our home.

For historic prices try here : https://energy-stats.uk/download-historical-pricing-data/
Gas from October 21 & Electric from Jan 21

Tracker is surprisingly good (at the moment). The only way Agile works for most people is if you can shift your load away from peak times, so if you work a 9-5 or have kids the peak rates are right when you want to be cooking which I find is the major energy spike in our home.

For historic prices try here : https://energy-stats.uk/download-historical-pricing-data/
Thanks for that, very useful.

This year is looking pretty stable (so far) for tracker prices compared to the last 2 years, 21 and 22 did see some pretty high prices in the summer months though but overall the average electric unit cost has been 28.8p kWh so still good.

Scottish power keep on about how I should get a smart meter, how it would save me money and how good they are. I just have to say no I don’t like technology as the real reason is they have messed up my economy 7 meter for the last 3 years as the night and day rate are the wrong way. Currently paying 9.6p for most of my electric!

So turns out that my bills are correct. I assumed the higher number should be day and the lower number day but it’s not hence me thinking they had them the wrong way round.

Turns out the higher number is my night reading, I couldn’t understand how as I don’t use much electricity in the hours that’s they state (7 hours between 11pm and 8am). I checked my meter and it t
Scottish power keep on about how I should get a smart meter, how it would save me money and how good they are. I just have to say no I don’t like technology as the real reason is they have messed up my economy 7 meter for the last 3 years as the night and day rate are the wrong way. Currently paying 9.6p for most of my electric!

Actually I don’t think it’s an issue with my bill now. The readings I’m giving for night and day are correct on the bill so they are not the wrong way round.

I’ve keep a tab of when night rate kicks in this week and it seems a bit off on the times. Thursday it kicked in at around 20:00 and was back to day rate by 08:30 the next day when I checked. Last night again it kicked into night around 20:00 again but now it’s till on night rate at 14:00. I think it’s on an evening and weekend tariff schedule.

The right answer is to get on Agile now, and also join the Tracker wait list. Agile isn't quite as good as Tracker at the moment for a typical household. But it's a lot better than the SVR.

The price difference between the two depends heavily on the current wholesale price. Agile is a simple 2.2x wholesale, with a 12p/kWh premium applied between 4pm and 7pm. The formula for Tracker varies quite a bit by region, but averages out to around 1.2x wholesale + 7.5p per kWh. So lower wholesale prices favour Agile, while higher prices favour Tracker. At present, Agile averages around 1p per kWh more than Tracker. The impact of that on your bill will depend on the distribution of your use - heavier peak time use will increase the price difference. For me, personally, the two tariffs work out to basically the same (no load shifting beyond charging the car overnight).

As we move in to the second half of the year, it seems reasonable to assume that Tracker will work out a lot better.

Our payments have been reviewed. From July our monthly DD is going down from £219 to £62. :) We started this agreement in December and have accrued more than £600 credit.

Current summer usage is about £90 per month so our credit will reduce a bit until the heating returns in October ish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom