Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've noticed Tracker move up every day this week.

Electricity is currently 20.19p and gas at 4.91p. Not sure why since the sun has been belting all week. I did see a comment that wind was down but I don't follow any of that so not sure of the actual magnitude/impact.

I have used upto 7kwh per day this month
My diverter is switched back on now however so mainly heating with excess solar.

Ideally I want gas under 3p where it makes sense to use the little we need for water heating, or over 4p where I will heat my water with excess solar as priority. In the 3.xp range its on the cusp of which makes sense.

We used a little gas last night, suspect the temp dropped under 17 with the doors and windows open and hence kicked in just before it reached end of allowed heating time.
Think I will mess with the settings again!

Had to check, we average about 12KWh of gas per day which is a bit more than I expected.
Hot water tank heated each day for a family of 4.

Dropped the thermostats a while back as a cold gust from leaving the door open would trip them into action despite not really being needed.

looks like the times has the explanation of gas prices increase (because neither wind nor total UK demand has changed much over past weeks)

https://www.ft.com/content/3d3f853d-c890-40f5-9e79-6fa8d8e21fda
The price of the European gas benchmark Title Transfer Facility (TTF) rose as much as 20 per cent to €36 per megawatt hour on Tuesday, extending a run that began last week when it rallied for the first week in 10.

TTF has fallen more than 90 per cent since the peak of the energy crisis from an all-time high above €340/MwH last summer as Europe refilled its stores and reduced its reliance on gas from Russia.

But the prices have been jolted by forecasts of hotter weather and supply outages extended at key fields in Norway, and traders are beginning to fret over the EU’s gas supplies despite its storage being unusually high for this time of year.

While the EU is on track to meet its target that its gas stores are 90 per cent full in November, traders worry that short-term demands could dent the plan.

While Asian LNG demand has been subdued so far this year, “the base case is that north-east Asian buyers like Japan, China and South Korea will increase buying activity ahead of the winter heating season”, said Sam Reynolds, Asia LNG and gas research lead at the Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis. “This could lead to an uptick in global competition for supplies, with potentially higher prices as a result.”

The tracker really is hard to beat unless you already have solar and/or batteries/ev.

The only issue we have is the very small gas reserve capacity in the UK which covers something silly like 2-3 days of winter usage...if something in the market happens we just have to take the brunt of it unlike some EU countries which have months worth of capacity that can soften the impacts of market spikes.

Yep wind is seemingly quite low
Which is quite normal for the summer in the UK and solar isn't going to pick that up
Shows plenty of opportunity for lots more solar and wind then :)

So I am kind of assuming in that case that late spring and late summer will be the lowest gas prices in current climate. Or maybe only late spring.
(Ie when solar starts to kick in but changing seasons see more solar and wind)

Shows plenty of opportunity for lots more solar and wind then :)
imagine if every new build house had solar.... or where that wasnt appropriate had a house battery instead (option for buyer to pay for both but one of the 2 needed as a minimum)

if carparks like at sainsburys had big solar roofs covering large sections of the car park (i dont mean a dome, just the kind of open roof running along the parking bays that some have already albeit without solar at the moment. - it would keep cars cool and dry as well as generate power (ideally for the charge points which they would also have installed). The bonus here is places like that use a huge amount of power anyway, as well as any charge points they have, so it wont even lead to a glut of power that the grid needs to handle, as am sure it would mostly get used right on site. it would just mean heavily reduced demand from the grid.

if on every new industrial warehouse construction it had to have some solar, and also existing infrastructure where safe and practical to do so, when they needed reroofing or replacing solar was added.

that would mean a huge amount of solar without any need to have solar farms (should keep the nimby tossers happy) and also it would be a uniform level of power accross the country.

it would cost money, some of which would likely have to be from government. it is doable however, other countries have invested in stuff exactly like that.

ok it would only have a huge benefit for 6 months of the year, with slight benefit for 3 and naff all for the final 3..... but at the point where solar is at its worst, is where wind tends to be at its best.

if we had that kind of improvement to our network i would happily pay a little more on my standing charge to subsidise it.

Last edited:
Seems a lot of companies are putting their prices down from 1st July?

My Octopus Go ends on 22nd July, currently at 35p/7.5p

So far the options are:
  • Renew Go at 39.5p/9.5p
  • Flexible at 42.7p/17.41p
  • Intelligent at 39.5p/7.5p
Based on those figures, intelligent seems to be a no-brainer, but doing a quote on their site gives 1st July unit rate of 29.6 on flexible - are the rates on the other tariffs likely to come down too?

Back
Top Bottom