Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

19th Aug 2023 26.8 Smart meter reading19th Sep 2023 324.7 Smart meter reading Energy Used 297.9 kWh @ 28.51p/kWh £84.93Standing Charge 31 days @ 47.40p/day £14.69
so other than when we get home 4-8:30 so 4.5 hrs we have lights on in 1 room 2 pc's and thats it well unless we use the toilet then lights on and off as required .. other than a 5-10 min shower in the morning ?and 20 mins on the pc before work ?
heating is wood fire cooking is bbq ... still cheaper ... with Aldi and Lidl cheap briquettes my electric has gone up by £40 ?
How is the shower water warmed up?

Immersion heater or electric shower? Either way, those are both heavy demand electrical appliances. What about dishwashers, washing machines, tumble driers? 297kWh is pretty high for a months usage in autumn, mine was 230kWh last month.

Use one of the free Apps to connect to your smart meter and download your daily usage to see what's going on (or use the Octopus app if you are on Octopus).

Sorry to say but it's very unlikely to be the new smart meter at fault and more likely you've got something draining power that you weren't previously aware of and maybe your old meter was faulty.

Eon are now paying people 50£ per meter to change their meter(s) over to smart meters.

No doubt the future is going to be surge charges with electric costing more during peak times and the normal rates when its quiet.
Good. Then people can get paid to use electricity when it’s quiet and think about load shifting to lessen the demand on the grid

then why the increase ?? for the same usage ?? starting to regret having the smart meter put in :(
It's not the smart meter. I don't have one and got the same. They sent an email saying prices are dropping but my monthly payments need to go up. I logged into the website and manually set the payments back down to what they were previously

19th Aug 2023 26.8 Smart meter reading19th Sep 2023 324.7 Smart meter reading Energy Used 297.9 kWh @ 28.51p/kWh £84.93Standing Charge 31 days @ 47.40p/day £14.69
so other than when we get home 4-8:30 so 4.5 hrs we have lights on in 1 room 2 pc's and thats it well unless we use the toilet then lights on and off as required .. other than a 5-10 min shower in the morning ?and 20 mins on the pc before work ?
heating is wood fire cooking is bbq ... still cheaper ... with Aldi and Lidl cheap briquettes my electric has gone up by £40 ?

Wouldn't you be better off with tracker?

Currently showing 15.44p/KWh for leccy.

Good. Then people can get paid to use electricity when it’s quiet and think about load shifting to lessen the demand on the grid

One reason I am not rushing to get a smart meter... If they insist on punishing rip off Standing Charge, I'll use the energy whenever the hell I want and not be further punished by it.

Actually - I have Smart Meters installed but they don't seem to be "connected" as the Wan and Han lights keep flashing.

Trilliant SEAP-2001-V on Elec... Can't see one on the gas? That right?

Last edited:
Still going on about a standing charge I see.

Well I got paid 1.1p/kWh overnight thanks to my smart meter.
I topped up the battery as well for about 0p. If one has the means to load shift smart meters make things a lot cheaper.

Eon are now paying people 50£ per meter to change their meter(s) over to smart meters.

No doubt the future is going to be surge charges with electric costing more during peak times and the normal rates when its quiet.
At peak times the grid is dirty and expensive, that has to change going forward.

Last edited:
Yeh I forgot to set the washing machine before I left today. Hoping we get lots of these over the winter so I can flick the immersion heater on too

Still going on about a standing charge I see.

Absolutely as the speed and levels they have risen to are ridiculous... 50% of Septembers bill is standing charge. Mental.

Well I got paid 1.1p/kWh overnight thanks to my smart meter.

Smashing... Even if I moved my ENTIRE daily electric usage of 2.5kWh to overnight, I would have made 2.75pence :cry: :cry:

and energy is basically free from 12pm-5pm today too, thanks to my smart meter.

So the times when no one is home where I am?

I topped up the battery as well for about 0p. If one has the means to load shift smart meters make things a lot cheaper.

Hey, if it works for you then great but some people are not in the fortunate position of affording solar and battery installs

You're using 10 kWh of electric per day, that is not light usage really.

You can inspect your smart meter readings even to the day in the site, see what times of day energy is being used and how much.

Might give you clues as to where all that energy is going if you can't explain it. Common causes are things like immersion heaters which turn your boiler tank into a giant kettle.

Absolutely as the speed and levels they have risen to are ridiculous... 50% of Septembers bill is standing charge. Mental.

Smashing... Even if I moved my ENTIRE daily electric usage of 2.5kWh to overnight, I would have made 2.75pence :cry: :cry:

So the times when no one is home where I am?

Hey, if it works for you then great but some people are not in the fortunate position of affording solar and battery installs
There are things called timers for appliances and electric cars.

The standing charge is to cover those companies that went bust. Anyway it’s a stuck record with you. I don’t understand how you use so little electric. 100W base load my house when I’m not in it for 2weeks. Do you watch a candle for tv ?

The point I made was for the benefit of smart meters. Not for you to jump in and tell us about your fear of electrons (again)

Last edited:
It's the green levy @50p/day that's the big one , SOLR 60% less
supplier failure is only 19p/day - still the green tarif that's the big hitter @50p/day in the price cap I thought - and should be moved to taxation

... and has Kier made any promises/comment on OFGEN strategy

Just a PSA and i cant see this has been mentioned anywhere.

If you or family members are with Eon Next you may be eligbiable for a 25% or 50% discount for 6 months on energy from 01/10/2023 to 31/03/2024
that's very interesting - haven't heard the media mention it .. or whether other companies are following suit

There are things called timers for appliances and electric cars.

The standing charge is to cover those companies that went bust. Anyway it’s a stuck record with you. I don’t understand how you use so little electric. 100W base load my house when I’m not in it for 2weeks. Do you watch a candle for tv ?

The point I made was for the benefit of smart meters. Not for you to jump in and tell us about your fear of electrons (again)

You not understanding how I use so little electricity is a YOU issue but, because of this, you are dismissing my concerns by using your own circumstances to colour your opinion rather than being objective and grasping what I am saying. THis is the changes in SC for my region since 2021 until today

Sept 2021:
  • Elec - 7.35p/day
  • Gas - 7.35p/day
  • Total - 14.7p/day
Sept 2022:
  • Elec - 49.65p/day (576% increase)
  • Gas - 27.22p/day (270% increase)
  • Total - 76.87p/day (423% increase)
Sept 2023:
  • Elec -61.67p/day (24% increase on 2022), (739% increase on 2021)
  • Gas - 29.11p/day (7% increase on 2022), (296% increase on 2021)
  • Total - 90.78p/day (18% increase on 2022), (518% increase on 2021)

I am fully aware an element of the above is SoLR however, are we all ok with that amount of an increase in 2 years?

I did try and find the report which shows the actual cost in pence for the SoLR so I could remove that element but I couldn't seem to find it any longer :confused: . When we remove that cost, what would the difference be? - See below for update

Note that the figures used below are for my region. I am aware that they vary across the country - something which is wrong in itself. SC should be the same throughout the UK

Last edited:
supplier failure is only 19p/day - still the green tarif that's the big hitter @50p/day in the price cap I thought - and should be moved to taxation

I was posting when this was posted... Lets remove the SoLR on the electric (as thats what its paid on)

Sept 2021:
  • Elec - 7.35p/day
  • Gas - 7.35p/day
  • Total - 14.7p/day
Sept 2022:
  • Elec - 30.65p/day (317% increase)
  • Total - 57.87p/day (294% increase)
Sept 2023:
  • Elec -42.67p/day (24% increase on 2022), (481% increase on 2021)
  • Total - 71.78p/day (18% increase on 2022), (388% increase on 2021)

SoLR removed - Have operating costs risen that much in 2 years?

I was posting when this was posted... Lets remove the SoLR on the electric (as thats what its paid on)

Sept 2021:
  • Elec - 7.35p/day
  • Gas - 7.35p/day
  • Total - 14.7p/day
Sept 2022:
  • Elec - 30.65p/day (317% increase)
  • Total - 57.87p/day (294% increase)
Sept 2023:
  • Elec -42.67p/day (24% increase on 2022), (481% increase on 2021)
  • Total - 71.78p/day (18% increase on 2022), (388% increase on 2021)

SoLR removed - Have operating costs risen that much in 2 years?
According to Martin lewis website the SoLR only makes upo about 6% of the current standing charge.

Why Ofgem sets the cost of the standing charge so high

This is to cover some of the 'fixed costs' of energy, which it believes should be mostly shared equally. The fixed costs are especially loaded on to the electricity standing charge, as that is 'more universal' than the gas one.

These costs have rocketed over the last few years, for a host of reasons, including covering the costs of the energy retailers that went bust (which is about 6% of the standing charge cost), and there have been large increases in policy and networks costs.

Also has a nice pie chart on there. https://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/...e-energy-standing-charges-so-high--what-can-/

Mine is 42p on agile (smart meter benefit!), guess you must be in the most expensive region to have it at 62p.

If the fixed costs are loaded onto electricity like it says then why has the gas charge increased so much as well. My main gripe with this is the lack of clarity about where this money actually goes.

Just to add, there is about 20 million dual fuel customers in the UK and the average standing charge is now £300 a year. So that is 6 billion in standing charges per year. Seems a lot.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom