Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I don't think anyone is happy with the SC changes, I'm certainly not, but equally there doesn't seem to be much you can do about it.

I've posted before that I think the increase on them is ridiculous, not really sure how Ofgem are allowing it.

According to Martin lewis website the SoLR only makes upo about 6% of the current standing charge.

That would make the percentage increase much closer to my original figures... Have operating and other fixed costs seriously risen over 500% on average (gas and elec)?

Mine is 42p on agile (smart meter benefit!), guess you must be in the most expensive region to have it at 62p.

I am unfortunately. I am using the SVR rates in the example as thats comparing SVR vs SVR changes. I could use other tariffs but that would be a little unfair. My opinion is it should be the same regardless of region

If the fixed costs are loaded onto electricity like it says then why has the gas charge increased so much as well. My main gripe with this is the lack of clarity about where this money actually goes.

Just to add, there is about 20 million dual fuel customers in the UK and the average standing charge is now £300 a year. So that is 6 billion in standing charges per year. Seems a lot.

Thats mostly my point. People just think I disagree with the costs as I dont want to pay it - My complaint is WHY they have risen so much in 2 years far outstripping inflation even when you take the other added costs off (SoLR for example).

If someone can properly explain the cost increase over such a short period, I'm all ears, and will accept any genuine and reasonable arguments.... I just cant see it myself :confused:

Thats mostly my point. People just think I disagree with the costs as I dont want to pay it - My complaint is WHY they have risen so much in 2 years far outstripping inflation even when you take the other added costs off (SoLR for example).

If someone can properly explain the cost increase over such a short period, I'm all ears, and will accept any genuine and reasonable arguments.... I just cant see it myself :confused:

I don't think you can get an answer for this here.

Some costs are index linked - aren’t things like the 25 year FIT payments rolled into the standing charge?

They go up with inflation and some of the early installers of solar will be approaching £1/kWh soon via 50% deemed export regardless of what they actually export.

The panels would have paid for themselves 7 years into the contract, happy days right?

Index linked, CPI, RPI or whatever is up about 20-30% over this timeframe. He quoted average electric standing charges are up 739% in 2 years, I dont think anyone can justify it now. Everyone thought it was SoLR but those costs are almost gone and its just kept going higher.

You not understanding how I use so little electricity is a YOU issue but, because of this, you are dismissing my concerns by using your own circumstances to colour your opinion rather than being objective and grasping what I am saying. THis is the changes in SC for my region since 2021 until today

Sept 2021:
  • Elec - 7.35p/day
  • Gas - 7.35p/day
  • Total - 14.7p/day
Sept 2022:
  • Elec - 49.65p/day (576% increase)
  • Gas - 27.22p/day (270% increase)
  • Total - 76.87p/day (423% increase)
Sept 2023:
  • Elec -61.67p/day (24% increase on 2022), (739% increase on 2021)
  • Gas - 29.11p/day (7% increase on 2022), (296% increase on 2021)
  • Total - 90.78p/day (18% increase on 2022), (518% increase on 2021)

I am fully aware an element of the above is SoLR however, are we all ok with that amount of an increase in 2 years?

I did try and find the report which shows the actual cost in pence for the SoLR so I could remove that element but I couldn't seem to find it any longer :confused: . When we remove that cost, what would the difference be? - See below for update

Note that the figures used below are for my region. I am aware that they vary across the country - something which is wrong in itself. SC should be the same throughout the UK
You are the end of the distribution curve. How about getting the electricity cut off if the standing charge is such a hardship

Remind me why you standing charge is even required as a response to the benefit of smart meters.

Last edited:
Some costs are index linked - aren’t things like the 25 year FIT payments rolled into the standing charge?

They go up with inflation and some of the early installers of solar will be approaching £1/kWh soon via 50% deemed export regardless of what they actually export.

The panels would have paid for themselves 7 years into the contract, happy days right?
bUt tHe PrEvIoUs gEnErAtIoN hAd iT sO tOuGh

Yeah @flea.rider 297kwh is something going on. My daytime usage (so sans most washing/dishwashing/tumble dryer/EV charging) is 188kwh. And for most of August I had the shop vac on 8 hours a day sanding/DIY'ing etc.
just been round made sure everything is off at the plug sitting at 16p ph with 2 pc's on see how it go's this month .. thx :)

Just a FWIW but those standing charges Richie quotes for 21 look low. I am wondering if he was an a tariff where the provider lowered the SC and increased the unit costs, low user tariff in effect
They used to exist and have pretty much all vanished now.

Part of the point of switching was to match yourself to a tariff that reflected you as a high or low user. That basically all disappeared when they were forced into the pricing we have now
No one is discounting SC since they cannot make it back on unit costs.

Just a FWIW but those standing charges Richie quotes for 21 look low. I am wondering if he was an a tariff where the provider lowered the SC and increased the unit costs, low user tariff in effect
They used to exist and have pretty much all vanished now.

Part of the point of switching was to match yourself to a tariff that reflected you as a high or low user. That basically all disappeared when they were forced into the pricing we have now
No one is discounting SC since they cannot make it back on unit costs.
but yet they still make millions in profits ?

balance is only for laptops it only draws what it needs ..
had tv on stand by printer on s/b and turned off the bug zapper .. other than that ? oh it's down to 13p ph washer finished ..
Are you certain you don't have the immersion on 24x7? Your usage is outrageous if you are being sincere about what is switched on.

Back
Top Bottom