Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Yup, seems to just be positives so worth doing in my opinion!

Saver sessions last winter would compare your usage reduction for the session period against the same time from previous days but would also take into account if your usage prior to the session was higher than normal. So if you cooked dinner using an electric oven, and did a tumble load just before the session your score wouldn't be as high as if you had typical usage in that period.

This new one looks like it's not doing that so it's a direct comparison with just the same time period and ignores and load shifting you might do.

I could be wrong, but that's my take on it :)

Other way round. If you in day usage was higher than normal it increased your payout.
This is what was "abused" by some and hence why it has been dropped.

saving sessions looking at some of the national grid reports - saved units were being paid at 30p premium by grid,
so if there is no over-demand (extra than budgetted cost) due to gaming earlier in day, more of that should be fed back to user ie you effectively get back 65p, for every unit you cut back.
(DFS Deep Dives1) Call for input & the role of DFS for winter 2023-24Tue 25th April 2023 09:00-11:00)

-------------

new electric vehicle option 23oct

EDF has joined forces with charge point operator Pod Point to offer what it claims to be the UK’s cheapest electric vehicle (EV) home-charging tariff.
The Pod Point EV Exclusive Tariff will be made available to existing users and new customers buying a Solo 3 home charger when they sign up to use EDF for their energy.
It will see customers charged 7.4 pence per kilowatt hour for energy used between the hours of midnight and 5am - during which drivers can schedule their EV to charge.

saving sessions looking at some of the national grid reports - saved units were being paid at 30p premium by grid,
so if there is no over-demand (extra than budgetted cost) due to gaming earlier in day, more of that should be fed back to user ie you effectively get back 65p, for every unit you cut back.
(DFS Deep Dives1) Call for input & the role of DFS for winter 2023-24Tue 25th April 2023 09:00-11:00)

-------------

This is bringing EV tariffs that many of us enjoy to everyone. It’s going to really help those that park on the road. Hopefully there’s a big roll out over the coming years. BP have also started buying Tesla chargers so there should be an accelerated roll out of fast chargers too.

Cheaper by 0.1p but an hour less each night compared to octopus. Depending on your power draw, octopus may still be cheaper and you don’t need to pull a lot of power for it to be so in that extra hour, assuming you get all your charging done in the usual 5 which most people will.

Edit: my man math suggests you only need to pull ~0.1kwh of electric in the extra hour on octopus and you are in the green assuming you draw 30kwh a day in the cheap period which is absolutely loads. Correct me if I am wrong there.

Edit2: if you have batteries the calculation becomes much more challenging.

Edit3: you often get extra hours on octopus as well.

Last edited:
Edit3: you often get extra hours on octopus as well.
yup
Scheduled conditioning (ie defrosting/warming up the car automatically) also triggers the 7.5p tariff outside the "cheap" hours... I've yet to see whether just activating the climate on the tesla while it's plugged in ALSO does this. I think it does from memory, but I did a short test the other day - 5 minutes of climate should theoretically earn me 30 minutes at 7.5p, which is useful for the oven or dishwasher ;)

Last edited:
Thinking about switching to Octopus as British Gas have been so weird with our latest bill.

Has anyone been converted to the new system where they've removed bank transfer details from the bill?

We're on an A number customer number now and I've just spent an hour on the phone trying to get new bank transfer details.

At first we though it might be a scam letter as there were multiple other discrepancies, but it seems other people have been complaining

I've just been provided these details, but I can't find them online anywhere which seems super sus.

Sort Code: 60 00 01
Account Number: 48995541

I had them confirm it in an email which seems to be from an the official British Gas domain [email protected], but the whole interaction was so weird. It took the guy absolutely ages to type out a 4 sentence email and then asked if I wanted to file a complaint even though everything was relatively pleasant on the phone, almost like he wanted me to.

Anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:
Thinking about switching to Octopus as British Gas have been so weird with our latest bill.

Not sure but I like Octopus, seems to work well, if you switch grab a code off someone for referral.

I prefer DD no hassle on payment changes. I pay Octopus on Variable DD so no random guesstimated billing, just pay for what I use each month.

-------------

7.4p is cheaper than my 9p but I'd have to a £1000 podpoint

Sticking with Octopus tracker on whole amount DD for a good while. Bills are barely over £40 a month, mostly standing charges. Love the windy days!

Been in all day and I'm barely over £1 at the moment (including standing charges)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom