Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

When my supplier (green) went bust. I was very careful to refix with a big six. First time I've been with a big 6. But seeing the cascade of failures from little firms I didn't want to risk going with a minnow.
I'm lucky enough to have got on a 2 year fixed price deal with Octopus in Autumn last year. I deliberately avoided some of the smaller companies as there were rumours about problems ahead and the odd one getting into trouble.... I thought Octopus was big enough and seemed well backed enough that there wouldn't be any issues. In hindsight I wish I'd gone with one of the big 6 instead - Octopus seems fine for now, but given how easily the government has let energy suppliers go bust I'm feeling a bit exposed now...

Still, recognise I'm very lucky compared to people whose suppliers went bust or are on a standard variable rate.

I'm lucky enough to have got on a 2 year fixed price deal with Octopus in Autumn last year. I deliberately avoided some of the smaller companies as there were rumours about problems ahead and the odd one getting into trouble.... I thought Octopus was big enough and seemed well backed enough that there wouldn't be any issues. In hindsight I wish I'd gone with one of the big 6 instead - Octopus seems fine for now, but given how easily the government has let energy suppliers go bust I'm feeling a bit exposed now...

Still, recognise I'm very lucky compared to people whose suppliers went bust or are on a standard variable rate.
Yes, for the 1st time ever I fixed for 3 years about the same time as 413x, and with one of the big 6, who I never thought I would be with again.

Local Better swimming pool are limiting lighting on the pool - yes, I suppose I'd rather that than a subscription increase
- seems Japan had some good ideas on nationwide/suburban savings after fukushima
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2011/aug/22/energy-saving-setsuden-japan-fukushima
so why not reduce street lights and commercial signage, if they are dimmable.

Interesting take at govt committe hearing on suppliers finances come October, because they can no longer hedge (it's a written book now) against future increases
for those remaining fixed contracts jack,varkanoid ..... https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Index/3a739494-69b6-4936-ad5c-706941ef0128 11:31

Our local council turn the street lights (not major roads) off between midnight and 5.30am. It was partly to be green, and (probably the main reason) to save money.

It is glorious having dark nights.

There is now a campaign to turn them back on. One of the arguments I saw for was about people putting our their bins on icy nights. :rolleyes:

The new standing charge by region from April 1st.

Price per day for Single Rate Electricity Meter from April 2022 by British region in order of percentage charge.

• London: up 8p a day to 31p - a 38% increase
  • Eastern: up 13p a day to 36p - a 58% increase
  • South East: up 17p a day to 40p - a 73% increase
  • North West: up 17p a day to 40p - 73% increase
  • Southern: up 18p a day to 41p - an 80% increase
  • Yorkshire: up 21p a day to 46p - an 81% increase
  • North Scotland: up 22p a day to 48p - a 83% increase
  • Northern: up 21p a day to 46p - an 85% increase
  • East Midlands: up 20p a day to 43p - an 88% increase
  • Midlands: up 22p a day to 46p - a 92% increase
  • South Wales: up 22p a day to 46p - a 94% increase
  • Southern Scotland: up 24p a day to 47p - a 100% increase
  • South Western: up 25p a day to 49p - a 101% increase
  • North Wales & Merseyside: up 23p a day to 45p - 102% increase
Source: Ofgem

6yr ago but re-mortgaged in Feb this year though to get decent rate for 5yr more. Mortgage is for £101k. The rate is 1.69% for that. House price for the little two bed was £205K. We have to note this little 2 bed is only 64m2 in total size! no garage or anything. It not large place and I brought in the cheapest part of Oxfordshire. The same house in Witney where I moved from was £310k and it only 20miles down road!

If you took London out though the average is £608 which I would say is more reasonable. I also guess it depends if you a single person or a couple sharing. £500 each for a £1k mortgage can be done. Single person that is a huge difference.

Location and property size though, this is a very small 2 bed terrace for that and I own 50% myself to get mortgage down.

Are you originally from NZ?

The new standing charge by region from April 1st.

Price per day for Single Rate Electricity Meter from April 2022 by British region in order of percentage charge.

• London: up 8p a day to 31p - a 38% increase
  • Eastern: up 13p a day to 36p - a 58% increase
  • South East: up 17p a day to 40p - a 73% increase
  • North West: up 17p a day to 40p - 73% increase
  • Southern: up 18p a day to 41p - an 80% increase
  • Yorkshire: up 21p a day to 46p - an 81% increase
  • North Scotland: up 22p a day to 48p - a 83% increase
  • Northern: up 21p a day to 46p - an 85% increase
  • East Midlands: up 20p a day to 43p - an 88% increase
  • Midlands: up 22p a day to 46p - a 92% increase
  • South Wales: up 22p a day to 46p - a 94% increase
  • Southern Scotland: up 24p a day to 47p - a 100% increase
  • South Western: up 25p a day to 49p - a 101% increase
  • North Wales & Merseyside: up 23p a day to 45p - 102% increase
Source: Ofgem
That's utterly horrendous.

totally shocking people are just not going to be able to pay the increase and will be getting in so much debt with all the other increases.

country is going to be in a mess.

Indeed. But they won't be getting the electricity and gas supply from the grid.

I dunno, if I were in the position that I couldn't afford to heat my home this winter then I'd probably chose to keep using the heating and worry about the debt later. Takes a while for a energy company to cut you off.

Although my previous bill was manageable, my night rate has gone through the roof in fact it's so bad I've used nearly 400 units in just two weeks. Family member looked at it and saw that at this rate I'd be paying £9 a day and that's just the night rate. Was just charged £139 for two weeks usage :(

The reason... Storage Heaters coming on at night! That's the only thing I'm using to stop myself from shivering as the place is so damn cold. Also I'm only using Two out of five of them. All built in the 1970's :(

I do use a computer during the day and watch TV on occasion, but the energy usage is far lower, I think I've only used about 20 units or so.

Although my previous bill was manageable, my night rate has gone through the roof in fact it's so bad I've used nearly 400 units in just two weeks. Family member looked at it and saw that at this rate I'd be paying £9 a day and that's just the night rate. Was just charged £139 for two weeks usage :(

The reason... Storage Heaters coming on at night! That's the only thing I'm using to stop myself from shivering as the place is so damn cold. Also I'm only using Two out of five of them. All built in the 1970's :(

I do use a computer during the day and watch TV on occasion, but the energy usage is far lower, I think I've only used about 20 units or so.

Get the thermal gear on https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...lummet-8C-Met-Office-issues-snow-warning.html

Some guys have not put the heating on all year @the shadow so it wont affect them! :cry:
Still paying far more off than on now
I don't make stuff up before the madness i would have been paying < 150
IMG-20220401-175833.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom