Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Need more detail. What are the rates showing for that fixed and what's your usage annually?

fixed
Estimated cost
£366 a month
By renewing your plan you agree to our new terms and conditions(opens in new window) and privacy policy(opens in new window)

Plan features
Fixed rates for a year
100% green electricity1
1 tree planted a year2
3-5% Interest Reward3
Ovo Greenlight4
£30 exit fee per fuel

Plan rates
Electricity
Unit rate:
38.66p/kWh
Standing charge:
38.77p/day
Gas
Unit rate:
11.27p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.52p/day

Variable
(Simpler Energy)
Our rolling plan where prices can go up and down.

Estimated cost
£268 a month
You don’t need to do anything to choose this plan. You’ll automatically roll onto it if you don’t renew.

By renewing your plan you agree to our new terms and conditions(opens in new window) and privacy policy(opens in new window)

Plan features
Rolling contract
100% green electricity1
1 tree planted a year2
Ovo Greenlight4
No exit fees

Plan rates
Electricity
Unit rate:
29.23p/kWh
Standing charge:
37.92p/day
Gas
Unit rate:
7.34p/kWh
Standing charge:
27.22p/day

Here's your past year in review
Your current plan:

OVO Member Special

Plan type and length:

1 year fixed loyalty

It ends on:

24 Apr 2022

Electricity you used:

6085 kWh

Gas you used:

12120 kWh

How much it cost:

£1306

Fix at £350;or not?

Keeping it simple lets assume the monthly payments are correct based on your usage, variable £268/month, fixed £366/month.

Assume your switch completes on 1 May.

On the fixed rate you'll pay £4,392 over the following 12 months.

On the variable rate you'll pay £1,340 over five months so the next seven months would have to be £3,052 to break even. That's £436/month, a 63% increase on £268.

You're going to be worse off unless prices increase in October by 63% or more.

Bloody scanderlous

Unfortunately there's absolutely no reason for energy companies to offer icentivised fixed rates. They're going to cover themselves against the likely increase in October and more besides. Many fixed rates are even more "scandalous" as they don't want you as a risky/break even/loss making customer.

They are (currently) expecting prices to return to todays price cap next summer after the increase in October. Makes the idea of a windfall tax even more appealing to help people through the coming winter.

Anyone on a smart meter know how much it's costing to run their gaming rig per day?

PC on 24/7 is about 75% of my usage, 20% ryzen rig, between them 95%.

27p per unit. So about £1.50 day for me, 2 rigs. This includes networking equipment as thats hooked up as well to same power point/ups.

I plan to start turning it off when asleep or out, but ryzen rig will still be 24/7 thats much less power usage (cpb disabled on it and headless).

Note I calculated this based on 30 min readings and watt meter, ups readings as my IHD is a brick right now.

Last edited:
I have Ryzen 3600x & undervolted RTX3070 at 4k. Following the new charges today I can tell from my smart meter that gaming is costing me 11p +vat per hour (almost double than what it was yesterday).
11p per hour doesn't sound like much but it mounts up over the course of a year.
As a result I've limited all my games to 60fps which seems to save quite a lot gfx card power (for example Elder Scrolls Online consumes 115watts at 60hz compared to 165w at 120hz)
Surprisingly I found that having DLSS on reduces power consumption in a few games by 30 watts

I have Ryzen 3600x & undervolted RTX3070 at 4k. Following the new charges today I can tell from my smart meter that gaming is costing me 11p +vat per hour (almost double than what it was yesterday).
11p per hour doesn't sound like much but it mounts up over the course of a year.
As a result I've limited all my games to 60fps which seems to save quite a lot gfx card power (for example Elder Scrolls Online consumes 115watts at 60hz compared to 165w at 120hz)
Surprisingly I found that having DLSS on reduces power consumption in a few games by 30 watts
Guess that's as dlss reduces how much work you gpu has to do.

We’ve got a 10kW electric shower and my girlfriend has always taken a stupidly long time in the shower, it annoyed me even before these prices, but now it makes me positively rage :p

Seeing the smart meter display practically laughing at me while it’s on is pretty grim

We’ve got a 10kW electric shower and my girlfriend has always taken a stupidly long time in the shower, it annoyed me even before these prices, but now it makes me positively rage :p

Seeing the smart meter display practically laughing at me while it’s on is pretty grim

I also have a leccy shower, in one bathroom and boiler fed shower in ensuite.. I'm on a fixed tariff so we've switched to using the electric shower vs the boiler fed shower as it looks like it's cheaper that way (I think) as I'm on heating oil not gas

I worked out the electric shower costs like 20p a shower? What's yours registering at

20p ! - showers are usually 10+ litres a minutes for 7/9 minutes , so minimum 50L water at 35C - kettles 0.2units/litre to 100C so 0.05units/litre/35C
2.5 units

was putting the pressure washer at the back of the cupboard that's a 3KW nominal appliance - buckets from now on if at all, but the cars not getting as dirty as it used to.

Rather than the expected decrease, does anyone reckon we'll see an increase in mining over the winter from those who only have electric heating? 200w is 200w whether its coming from a radiator or GPU, but at least the GPU is giving you a few £ back while it's running!

Certainly something I'd consider in that position, as even if it's not profitable, getting some kind of return from it is surely preferable to just "burning" the money in night storage or oil filled radiators?

Rather than the expected decrease, does anyone reckon we'll see an increase in mining over the winter from those who only have electric heating? 200w is 200w whether its coming from a radiator or GPU, but at least the GPU is giving you a few £ back while it's running!

Certainly something I'd consider in that position, as even if it's not profitable, getting some kind of return from it is surely preferable to just "burning" the money in night storage or oil filled radiators?

4 hours a day mining on EV tariffs maybe?

Back
Top Bottom