Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Mid night to 5am is very very tiny usage. No chance of offsetting. The best you can do is a dish washer on timer. Even washing machine is dodgy to offset cos they use so little water these days - clothes are hardly washed if you don’t add additional water. Unless you do small washes then it is wasting energy again.

If you had electric heaters that would cool in colder months but still pointless as you be wrapped in duvet.

Really good for people with battery storage but saving £1 a day for a system install that costs £££££ it’s non-sense atm.

Yeah just a bear in mind thing, dishwasher isn't zero usage, I do mine overnight routinely, not so much washing machine though, inconvenient as you need to empty it 1st thing then.

It does general house load, my base load is 400-450w all the time currently, so it takes care of that for cheap for the whole off-peak window, helps offset a good couple of kWh. If your base load is low the benefit will be less.

Battery loading should be a winner also but that is a big maths/usage/saving question, I have one with solar but it wouldn't be as good for a low energy user.

Yeah my base house load is only 200w according to octopus. Barely use 1kwh during the cheap period.

We charge the car up to 80% from circa 20% at least once a week. That’s about 45kwh. And our daily electrify is average 7kwh per day so basically car charging and house usage is 50/50.

The car will likely need charging more often than just once a week. Especially if I have to long trips for work. So the saving could be more if I move over to OVO.

The thing holding me back is the fact that if I have to wait 90 days to put out on tracker for Octopus when Jan hits.

This year I moved to tracker through octopus in Jan as the tracker rate was significantly cheaper than cap. I suspect it will likely to be similar story come Jan 24. As LNG becomes cheaper after a while.

Last edited:
Those Agile rates for the last few days have me thinking about jumping to tracker or even the SVR again - the offpeak pricing is barely below SVR and the 7am - 10pm pricing is WAY above it now.

There's no 9month wait period for Agile either if I recall.

Not sure what that means but here you go..
I mean (cynically) the 'power ups' are just a marketting gimmick providing cheap energy when you can't actually use it - like the new eon plan with cheaper energy sunday 11am-4pm,
or even O Agile (if like most of humanity you use most of energy at peak evening time)

I mean (cynically) the 'power ups' are just a marketting gimmick providing cheap energy when you can't actually use it - like the new eon plan with cheaper energy sunday 11am-4pm,
or even O Agile (if like most of humanity you use most of energy at peak evening time)

I do like the fact they mention "Dinner", who cooks dinner at 11am in the morning. Chances are most people will be at work anyway or out of the house

I'll tough it out on Agile till next week to see if it settles back down; if not, toss between SVR / Tracker (I'm slightly agog why this has not also spiked along with the Agile prices but hey ho).

As ever with these things you need to think wider than just yourself.

I have used around 15kwh in the session today. 2 hours hot water heating (it completed before then) so a topped up tank of hot water. 2x fan heaters means I won't top up the heating at all today until 5pm, dishwasher, a load of washing and a load tumbled.
I gained another load of washing since I knew I would be charging the battery I did that before the session started and thats what was tumbled. I also charged my house batteries to just under 100%.
Plenty of hot drinks, some cooking etc

The sorts of people most able to benefit from this, working from home, with house batteries, at home for other reasons (ill/retired etc)

In regards dinner. People at home would just switch their usage, spend a couple of hours cooking a roast etc and have that at lunchtime that day.

My total bill this month was 140.
Not as bad as I feared!

I think it was 100m3 of gas.
100 units on the meter anyway.

1150kwh of gas. Eeek

Last edited:
My total bill this month was 140.
Not as bad as I feared!

I think it was 100m3 of gas.
100 units on the meter anyway.

1150kwh of gas. Eeek

I'm on Octopus tracker and we still racked up £150 for November and we were away for a week of that!

We still had the heating on a bit while we were away and didn't turn anything completely off but still.

Thats unfortunately what you get when you have small children and the washing machine/tumble drier is running at least once a day and your house is about as thermally efficient as a barn.

I'm on Octopus tracker and we still racked up £150 for November and we were away for a week of that!

We still had the heating on a bit while we were away and didn't turn anything completely off but still.

Thats unfortunately what you get when you have small children and the washing machine/tumble drier is running at least once a day and your house is about as thermally efficient as a barn.

I forgot. This missed a week at the start of October. So probably 10-20 more than that as heating wasn't on.

Probs will hit 170 if have really cold weather.

We don't even have the excuse of kids!

I forgot. This missed a week at the start of October. So probably 10-20 more than that as heating wasn't on.

Probs will hit 170 if have really cold weather.

We don't even have the excuse of kids!

I swear the missus wanted kids just so that we would have to heat the house above 18 in the winter. "Its for the babies" she says. :p

Back
Top Bottom