Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

If that’s not a typo and there’s no medical conditions etc it seems awfully wasteful to have the heating set that high.
Yep been telling her this for 35 years and just get called a Scrooge.
I will admit she does put it down to 21 5 mins before I come.home but the radiators groaning and the dog collapsed on the floor with heat stroke gives it away.

Just finished our 2nd energy saving session. I noticed in the app during the session that my target was to use less than 0.74kWh.

Only power draws during this session were: interlinked fire alarms, router, ONT, CCTV, smart meter and a phone charger. Managed to reduce load to 50W.

Will update in a couple of days when they've done their sums to see if it's been worth it.

Last edited:
I b

I’ve not done much, except set the battery to export and then crack on a cook dinner.

£15 profit so far and I’m out during todays so hopefully earn £15 from this afternoon.

At this rate it should pay my gas bill

At this rate, this time next year you'll have a Rtx5090 Rodders

Wow just saw email from Shell Energy that the company are now called Octopus Energy, they will start process to moving Shell Energy customer accounts and records to Octopus Energy systems next month January 2024. I had 3 great years with Shell Energy.

Wow just saw email from Shell Energy that the company are now called Octopus Energy, they will start process to moving Shell Energy customer accounts and records to Octopus Energy systems next month January 2024. I had 3 great years with Shell Energy.

You could have moved yourself to Octopus and gotten a £50 referral bonus for doing it, but too late now I think!

Having trouble seeing this email? View in your browser.
Octopus Energy - Shell Energy

Shell Energy customers are joining Octopus​

Hello​
Let me be the first to welcome you to Octopus Energy.​
Yesterday, Octopus purchased Shell Energy Retail Limited’s home energy & broadband business. We can’t wait to bring you the outrageously good customer service, long-term value, and green innovation we’ve become known for.​
Your supply will continue uninterrupted, and you don’t need to do anything right now.​
We’ll work hard to make your move to Octopus as straightforward and simple as possible. Over the next few months, we’ll transfer you to our award-winning customer platform.​

What happens next?​

We’ll next get in touch when your account is moving across to Octopus systems, and we’ll share your new account details at the same time.​
In the meantime:​
■​
There’ll be no change to your energy supply. You’ll be able to use your Shell Energy account and app, just as you have up to now.​
■​
If you need anything, contact Shell Energy as you usually would. Shell Energy is continuing to operate as usual under Octopus Energy’s ownership, and you’ll be supported by the same dedicated Shell Energy team and get bills and communications from them the same way you always have.​
■​
Your energy prices aren’t changing right now. We’ll honour any fixed tariffs. Variable tariff prices are protected by Ofgem’s energy price cap (which next changes on 1st January – more info below).​
■​
Any credit balance will be safe. If you pay by Direct Debit, there’s no need to cancel it. We’ll automatically transfer your credit and your Direct Debit over to Octopus at the appropriate time, so you won’t need to lift a finger.
If you prepay for your energy by top-up, your top-up card or key will work as normal, and Friendly Credit and Emergency credit hours aren’t changing.​
■​
If you receive the Warm Home Discount, you’ll get those payments as expected. If you’re worried about paying your bills, Shell Energy has extra support available.
■​
You won’t be able to switch to Octopus sooner. We can’t wait to look after you, but switching early could cause issues, and we won’t get all your old Shell Energy records (i.e bills and meter readings).​

Looking forward:​

In the next month​
We’ll start moving Shell Energy customer accounts to Octopus. We’ll work to move everyone over quickly and carefully, but it will take us a few months to get to everyone’s account - you’ll hear from us when your account transfers to our systems.​
In December​
If you’re on a variable tariff, you’ll be contacted to let you know your energy prices from January 1st based on Ofgem’s new price cap. The cap will be around £100 more per year for a typical home, so you’ll likely see some increase in prices.​
Customers on tariffs where your rate is fixed won’t be impacted.​
1st January​
Prices change for customers on a variable energy tariff, in line with the new energy price cap.​
For FAQs and more information about your Shell Energy account head to their Help page. If you want to keep up with how the migration is going, we’ll be refreshing our blog post with the latest updates.
Greg-Jackson340x340v2.png
Kind regards,
Greg Jackson
Founder, Octopus Energy​
P.S. If you’d like to know a little more about Octopus Energy, this is a good place to start.
■​
We’re renowned for looking after customers really well. In fact, we’re the UK’s most awarded energy supplier, and we’ve been Which? Recommended for the past six years running.​
■​
We’re working hard to move the UK to a sustainable energy system that’s fair and affordable for all. Find out how.
■​
We’re doing all we can to support customers in the cost of living crisis. As well as wide-ranging schemes to help vulnerable households, we’ve historically kept prices lower. We’re the only large supplier to’ve always charged less than the price cap, ever since it was introduced.​

Octopus has always been good in answer phone calls.

Though their technical support can be hit and miss. Took them 3 months to figure out why my smart meter wasn’t showing readings in my account. They even sent out 2 engineers to check the smart meter.

Tho I probably should have left it as it would mean I get free electricities after 12months…

Last edited:
I’ve got an old crappy boiler ‘Baxi 15 HE’ (rented house). It heats a hot water tank upstairs (we only ever use hot water for washing up, we have electric shower), and provides central heating.

The boiler has a ‘control’ twizzle knob on the front of it, you can turn it between min-max.

What exactly is this for and where should it be set? It’s at roughly what I’d guess as 60% between min/max

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom