Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

with an ev got to be interesting whether octopus tracker or go worked out the best over last few months - tracker averaging 20p, and go 30/10p day/night

Is the octopus app show you the trade-off over historic period, including, pesky standing charge - that remains the killer.

Just had this email from octopus, I assume others will have it soon

As a result of global gas prices, Ofgem (the energy regulator) has announced energy unit rates will rise from January 1 to March 31 2024.
Once again, Octopus prices are lower. You will continue to receive the cheapest standing charges of any large supplier.
For a typical home, unit rates will be £8 a month higher from January to March (there’s a personalised breakdown attached).
We’re not adjusting your payments at this point. We continually check your balance and payments, and will suggest changes if it looks like you’re paying too much or too little.
If you’d like to protect your rates from future changes, we’re offering a 12 month fixed tariff that is cheaper than the January prices. Fix online with just a few taps.
We have other tariffs which could save you money – for example: Tracker simply follows the wholesale price every day
Octopus continue to be the only large supplier to never charge the full Ofgem price cap.

If I fix now will it fix at the rate I'm on now or the new rate in Jan? Is it worth fixing ?

Last edited:

As a result of global gas prices, Ofgem (the energy regulator) has announced energy unit rates will rise from January 1 to March 31 2024.
Once again, Octopus prices are lower. You will continue to receive the cheapest standing charges of any large supplier.
For a typical home, unit rates will be £8 a month higher from January to March (there’s a personalised breakdown attached).
We’re not adjusting your payments at this point. We continually check your balance and payments, and will suggest changes if it looks like you’re paying too much or too little.
If you’d like to protect your rates from future changes, we’re offering a 12 month fixed tariff that is cheaper than the January prices. Fix online with just a few taps.
We have other tariffs which could save you money – for example: Tracker simply follows the wholesale price every day
Octopus continue to be the only large supplier to never charge the full Ofgem price cap.

If I fix now will it fix at the rate I'm on now or the new rate in Jan? Is it worth fixing ?
It's up to you. I went from Gas Tracker to fixed gas because I couldn't stomach another year like last year. Odds are it'll never be that bad, but who knows.

with an ev got to be interesting whether octopus tracker or go worked out the best over last few months - tracker averaging 20p, and go 30/10p day/night

Is the octopus app show you the trade-off over historic period, including, pesky standing charge - that remains the killer.
Your wish my command

jEUFOtX.png

So 20p kWh average with Octopus Go. I shift EV charging and dishwasher 100% of the time. Tumble dryer is mostly but it is a heat pump that uses hardly anything anyway.

Last edited:

I've decided not to for now as the fixed rates are higher than the current variable rates so my projected annual total will be £50 more on the fix. Admittedly, if rates go up again, I'll lose out but i remain optimistic that they won't (significantly). Also the fixed rate deal has a high exit fee and I'd rather keep my options right now.

Last edited:
I've decided not to for now as the fixed rates are higher than the current variable rates so my projected annual total will be £50 more on the fix. Admittedly, if rates go up again, I'll lose out but i remain optimistic that they won't (significantly). Also the fixed rate deal has a high exit fee and I'd rather keep my options right now.
Yeh I had a look at the attachment they sent. Not worth fixing I guess, it will probably go down after march / April hopefully

There is not much difference in cost from what they have sent me .

Last edited:
I missed out on tracker being cheaper, but will review options in the next few months, its only the electricity over the winter when I'm using more due to solar not generating enough, gas we use little.

Except on christmas day

To those of you with electric storage heaters, the ones with a digital dash... Hope you can help!

Both my storage heaters haven't charged over night, and I woke up to 40p usage and both cold. Is it because I've set them too low? Originally they were on OFF PEAK(NIGHT) at 18C but I set them to 15C to save money, but not sure that's the right thing to do on ECO 7?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom