Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

PRO tip if you wanna save power take the light out of your fridge oven, and microwave :cry: I'm suprised i've not seen anywhere suggesting it yet

I'm pretty sure they mean like over a year assuming you barely use the microwave so it basically becomes a clock.
Might start turning the server off, lol

so yesterday 2nd April according to smart meter I used 10.35kwh elec cost £3.31 (incl standing charge 48.5p) and 10.24kwh gas cost £0.49 (incl standing charge 20.5p)

The gas was for 1 shower and heating on 30 minutes
The elec was for fridge freezer, one 5w led light bulb, oven on 1 hour and TV & Computer on all day. This is an average of 435watts per hour over 24 hours so my usage is quite low.

The TV and computer uses most of my elec

And the price cap is going up again in October!

Last edited:
jeez smart meters really are eye opening showing the difference with these new rates. What would normally be the amount it would cost me by midday i'd already paid by 7am. I don't use a lot so that standing charge really is hammering

jeez smart meters really are eye opening showing the difference with these new rates. What would normally be the amount it would cost me by midday i'd already paid by 7am. I don't use a lot so that standing charge really is hammering

Only going to get worse in October when it actually matters..

And whom paying for this Combi boiler and solar panels? You going to pay for us cheers? My quote for solar was £16k!
If you can’t afford it you’ll not be able to afford electricity either. I recommend microwave meals and reading books rather than computer on and TVs.

Can you elaborate please? I'm genuinely totally clueless when it comes to heating and boilers.
If you cannot afford to replace your electric immersion heater make sure that you have at least two layers of insulation around the tank (fit another jacket), insulate the hot water pipes where you can get at them and fit rockwall boards to the inside of the tank cupboard. It will get very warm useful for drying small items or airing larger ones.
Only heat water once a day, overnight. Bathe in the mornings, wash up with the remainder in the evening.

And whom paying for this Combi boiler and solar panels? You going to pay for us cheers? My quote for solar was £16k!

A 16k quote would have been for a large solar array and substantial storage. It doesn't have to be all or nothing, you must have had a budget in mind when you approached companies for quotes, so stick to that.
I went for a 4.2kw install without storage (batteries were low capacity and expensive at the time) all on a 0% credit card. With the rise in energy costs batteries are now looking viable so I'm looking at the different options and that'll be paid for on another 0% credit card.
If there's someone in the house during the day you can capitalise on the energy generated, of the 4000kWh we generate a year we use 1500kWh, bringing our import down from 3900kWh to 2400kWh.

If you cannot afford to replace your electric immersion heater make sure that you have at least two layers of insulation around the tank (fit another jacket), insulate the hot water pipes where you can get at them and fit rockwall boards to the inside of the tank cupboard. It will get very warm useful for drying small items or airing larger ones.
Only heat water once a day, overnight. Bathe in the mornings, wash up with the remainder in the evening.

Thank you for the advice, it's very much appreciated. Same goes for everyone else.

Bloody hell yes, just checked my usage on Ovo. Average per day in March on gas was less than 2 quid.

Friday cost 6 quid....

We're going to have a brutal recession. I can well afford the rise but I'm going into full saving mode for the next year and cutting out unecessary spends.

It can't go one,

The Tory's have done nothing to help at all in any shape or form. They are done for come the next election. They probably know this and are pushing everyone to the limit to fill their posh mates coffers ready for the election after next. These energy bill rises are going to be brutal. The standing charge is utter disgrace.

It's going to be another poll tax riot in a couple of months time and so it should be.

I wonder if tories know how bad its going to be in winter so aren't doing anything now because they will have to in October?
I suspect that might be the plan, if they can last that long. Still doubt it will be enough though, as they are ideologically opposed to helping poor people.

Back
Top Bottom