Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Got the email from Octopus. No idea what to do but thinking of going onto Octopus Tracker with two smart meters.

I hate all this comparison ****. Really tiresome. I don't care, I just want electricity and gas. I don't want to gain a PHD in tariff comparisons.

Couldn't agree more, the system really is not fir for purpose, never was. All that profit leaving the UK.........

Am I right in thinking you essentially can't lose with the tracker from octopus? , am I right in thinking that if the prices sky rocket you're still protected by the price cap ?

Ah, ok, so there really is a risk going tracker route then you could be stung if prices rise dramatically, it's all a gamble isn't it, even picking a fixed rate now could end up costing more on the future. I'm in a Victorian 4 bed, exposed floor boards downstairs, the gas price hits hard over the winter.

That’s very odd, what have they actually bought from NG? The government are saying that there currently isn’t an organisation that deals with a top down planning of energy distribution, yet have paid NG more than £0.5Bn for something.

Edit: it reads as if they’ve just brought the day to day running of the grid into public ownership. Quite strange.
There is a separate team within National Grid that runs the ESO and they have Chinese walls to other parts of National Grids operations and seemingly never talk to each other in my experience. I'd have to check but ESO for instance might own the Use of System contracts and they certainly run the Capacity Market and possibly the contracts for that. So it could be quite a large paper tiger with relatively few employees who are mostly lawyers and managers but has a high cash turnover which NG used to make a healthy profit from managing.

Yeah as far as I know there is no delay leaving tracker, just when they get round to it.
I have found all the tariff changes I have requested have actually gone back in time.
I just switched from Agile to Go late morning and they actioned it and set it back to midnight.

But expect as 200 says, if Tracker pricing goes mental loads will ask to leave at the same time so it may take some time.

For me I am going to need to see two weeks or so I think before I think about leaving where the price is over the cap.
I'm only on for gas though.

Other thing is, if tracker starts going above cap then you know for certain the markets got expensive again and cap will also certainly be going up at the next review.

I've signed up to it. EDF did say that I'm tied into the tariff until next September (hence the tariff name "Ensure Tracker Sep25") otherwise I'll incur exit fees. But that doesn't really bother me as the tariff still follows the price cap, just with a discounted standing charge.

Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if the "Tracker " tha tis followed by EDF the same wholesale tracker that each of the energy companies used and they all respond to it similarly..?

Just trying to work out if the EDF September offer, you have signed up to, is any different to, for example, the Octopus type tracker that could be applicable by jump[ing ship. Jumping ship is not something that I would otherwise think about.

Thanks

Last edited:
Do you, or anyone else, happen to know if the "Tracker " tha tis followed by EDF the same wholesale tracker that each of the energy companies used and they all respond to it similarly..?

Just trying to work out if the EDF September offer, you have signed up to, is any different to, for example, the Octopus type tracker that could be applicable by jump[ing ship. Jumping ship is not something that I would otherwise think about.

Thanks
As far as I can tell, and how it was also explained to me on the phone by EDF, the only difference between Ensure Tracker and the standard variable tariff is the Ensure Tracker has a lower standing charge - the unit prices remain the same, if not fractionally lower.

As far as I can tell, and how it was also explained to me on the phone by EDF, the only difference between Ensure Tracker and the standard variable tariff is the Ensure Tracker has a lower standing charge - the unit prices remain the same, if not fractionally lower.

Thanks. I am not sure if these trackers all source from the same numbers, for different suppliers, that could include any additional charges they add to that number.

Seems a reasonable tarrif, from EDF, with a total of £50 exit fees if needed.

Back
Top Bottom