Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I'd say if you need to put the heating on at 12c, you are either old, have a medical issue or just a wuss in general :cry:
Or just have a low cold tolerance I guess?

Its 8c where I am outside but inside is sitting at 20c which I find too warm. Nothing is on just heat from me I guess.

Although I'm that guy in tshirt and shorts outside when it's freezing with ice/snow while most people are in the thick coats.

Your house is 20c when outdoors is 12c? And no heating? That's insane.

Here it's 14c and house is at about 17-18c and it's had an hour of heating this morning!

Here it's 14c and house is at about 17-18c and it's had an hour of heating this morning!

Modern homes have ridiculous insulation in comparison to older properties.

I can open all my windows and the internal temp drops to around 10°C (matching external). I can then close all the windows, leave the house and the temp will get upto 15-16 with no heating on. Just the residual heat on the fabric of the building and the insulation working.

Meh, the house I'm in was built in the 1800's (Possibly around 1850ish). Costs quite a bit in gas over the winter :(
Currently only going through about 45-50kw per day. But expect that to rise considerably during winter. I've seen a max of 185 one day last Jan.

Last edited:
Meh, the house I'm in was built in the 1800's (Possibly around 1850ish). Costs quite a bit in gas over the winter :(
Currently only going through about 45-50kw per day. But expect that to rise considerably during winter. I've seen a max of 185 one day last Jan.
holy hell! that is the problem in this country, so much of our housing stock is barely fit for purpose these days.... and even if you try to modernise it, you will probably get some local asshats stop you from doing it incase it changes the looks slightly.

Last edited:
I have no idea what our gas use is per day.
We have an old boiler and poor insulation and WFH so it's never good.
I'm not sure I want to dig the old bills out!

Just had a look.
For January 2024 used 2000kwh of gas in 27 days.
So that's about 70kwh a day of gas at peak winter.

Looks like tado says that was indeed the peak month.
We only had heating on for 6 months last winter.
Screenshot from tado.
F9Kx9qW.jpeg

Last edited:

I feel like "no heating" needs an asterisk attached half the time, especially when we’re not in the full throes of winter yet. People and what they use electrically all contribute to heating, so one persons “no heating” might actually include a kW or two of heating byproducts from people’s bodies, cooking, electrical appliances, tvs, pcs, consoles, general appliances, lighting etc. Vs a single persons “no heating” at a fraction of that if they lived in identical houses. House position too helps a lot if you can gain a good boost from the sun with all south facing windows. So there can be huge variance even with identical houses, never mind when you factor in houses built across a gap of 250 years

Back
Top Bottom