Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've averaged £3.80 per 100km which is about 6.1pence per mile.

edit: the car calculates the cost per 100km based on my home electric unit rate. In reality, it costs me a lot less than that because I use free chargers for at least a third of the charge I put into it.

I found what looked like a reasonable online calculator which said eV was near what you said. 6.4p/mile

I put my figures in.
As I thought. Not for me unfortunately.
But not as far off as I thought

Petrol = 180p/l
Electricity = 22p/kWh (my rate)
Current car = 1.6 auto
eV = ioniq 5
Miles per month = 300 (probably too much)

Said I could save 666 pounds a year.

So this isn't enough with depreciation for me.
But put in my old commute and bang. 2k a year saving.

I’m on Octopus Go : 7.5p kWh from 00:30 to 04:30, which means my EV charging costs me £15 for 600 miles.

So about 2.5p per mile
I'll plug this in

Unintentional amazing pun! :D

Edit
For 300 miles a month this goes from 666 yearly save to 820.

So again, not for me.. But a daily commute? Yeah if you can afford it no brainer!
It works Out an order of magnitude different!

So this isn't enough with depreciation for me.
Depreciation on EV’s is currently very small.
E.g. People with 2-3 year old Tesla M3’s are selling them for more than they paid for it new.
Problem is : the wait for a new order now is 12+ months

Depreciation on EV’s is currently very small.
People with 2-3 year old Tesla M3’s are selling them for more than they paid for it new.
Problem is : the wait for a new order now is 12+ months

Now that is crazy! I knew cheap used cars had this symptom but not new eVs.

Crazy times when you can make money touting cars! :D

Does make sense.

I'll plug this in

Unintentional amazing pun! :D

Edit
For 300 miles a month this goes from 666 yearly save to 820.

So again, not for me.. But a daily commute? Yeah if you can afford it no brainer!
It works Out an order of magnitude different!
may have mentioned it before if so i apologise... but i am still ruing the day last year when i said no to my mates immaculate 2013 nissan leaf battery owned for 5K................ sure it only had a range of 65 miles (midwinter) or 80 miles (in good weather) but for my 15 mile work commute - with free battery charging at the moment at work too it would have been a perfect 2nd vehicle.

a far higher milage example undoubtedly in worse condition - because like i said his was imaculate - is closer to 10k now than it is to 5k

Think it's time to pump the bike tyres back up. That said...

Problem is we need proper segregated cycle lanes in the towns and cities and decent shoulders on country roads for a modicum of safety. Down here in darkest Wiltshire many what could be regarded as quite busy secondary routes have no centre markings, barely wide enough for two cars to pass without bumping mirrors and high banks or bush growth right up to the edge, which is generally crumbling away too.

There's a lot of people I see asking about custom meter replacements where the meter reports lower use than actual. People are desperate and can't really blame them.

But if you have nothing to lose like credit rating etc why not?
Let me guess? facebook.

How do you find these groups lol.

I saw a guy on a news channel today on about making energy from grass, he is from a company called Ecotricity and they are doing a project in Reading to supply 6000 houses I think he said, he said that it was possible to create a way to get the whole of the UK on this grass system in 10 years, spoke to the government but they wouldn't listen, sounded really interesting, hopefully the government will listen if his project works. Be great to be energy sufficient in the UK and not rely on other countries.

The tech works and it’s not actually anything new but for every field you use to grow grass for energy, you take it away from something else (E.g. food production). It’s not a win win, there are trade offs.

A part of Dale Vince’s (ecotricity CEO) rational is that you move land used for meat production (E.g. the land used for grazing and growing animal feed) to growing grass for green gas.

Meat production is a very inefficient use of land compared to plant based food, that’s an objective fact. Part of Dales argument is that if people eat less meat/dairy (or go vegan like him) then the change of use of land isn’t an issue for things like food security (not that we are at all self sufficient on that front).

So where do we get the food from that's been removed from production by using grasslands as energy?

Imports aren't a great idea for it. We only need to look at how that's affected energy prices in itself.

And if the entire World changes its grasslands to this form.of Elec production, how will it feed itself?

The vegan argument is to switch grasslands for meat production to be used for vegan food production. The method you are suggesting completely removes this land from food production altogether.

Edit - let me add this link showing a polarization of views and opinions related to reducing/eradication of meat production - https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/why-are-you-not-vegan.18953040/unread.

The public won't go for it

Last edited:
Meat production is a very inefficient use of land compared to plant based food, that’s an objective fact.

Not in large swathes of land in Wales/Scotland where you cannot grow plant based foods and meat production is more efficient:

Hill farming as an example covers 55% of agricultural land in Scotland where it helps support other wildlife - SOURCE.

Not in large swathes of land in Wales/Scotland where you cannot grow plant based foods and meat production is more efficient:

Hill farming as an example covers 55% of agricultural land in Scotland where it helps support other wildlife - SOURCE.

I wouldn't get too positive on hill farming. Most of that original environment was destroyed to make way for sheep.

My point wasn't about that, it was to highlight that not all land in the UK is more efficient at plant based food production as @b0rn2sk8 states.

I'll take up your point better later today... Just about to start work

This is true. Take out the environmental aspect (grazing is good for some). And absolutely not all land is suitable for crops.

Back
Top Bottom