Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Wasn't necessarily to avoid paying the bill, that was a bonus though.

Mainly because it would flag up that a domestic property was using a lot of electricity, power companies might turn up thinking there was some issue.

But yes LEDS apparently are the way to go these days.
I should have quoted a previous post, it was a slightly tongue in cheek post regarding the grass energy plans. The neighbour comment still stands though, although I don't think any of them are the 'meter bypass' types, more the grow it in garage, spare room and and attic variety :D.

I am surprised more companies are not insisting on a wfh for office workers to save money on power

Before we was being ripped off I was on a monthly basis putting in around £800 a month on diesel £1300 this month and I don't think I've done many more miles than usual
I think large corps can simply just get away with passing the extra energy costs on to the customer, it'll be the smaller family type businesses who will find it harder to put it on the bill so may start requesting more wfh where it's possible.

I was reading stories the other day of chip shops worrying about having to close because not only energy costs are up but also costs for fish, chips & peas, most saying they don't want to put the costs on the customer because it would likely make things prohibitively expensive so they'd end up with a lot less custom than the fewers profits from swallowing the costs. Was another story of a village pub landlady deciding to give up her "goldmine" pub because the last energy bill was close to £30k :eek: I think catering is going to suffer yet again just like they did with pandemic, except this time they won't be able to at least change to takeaway to get around restrictions because there simply won't be demand with people cutting back

I think large corps can simply just get away with passing the extra energy costs on to the customer, it'll be the smaller family type businesses who will find it harder to put it on the bill so may start requesting more wfh where it's possible.

I was reading stories the other day of chip shops worrying about having to close because not only energy costs are up but also costs for fish, chips & peas, most saying they don't want to put the costs on the customer because it would likely make things prohibitively expensive so they'd end up with a lot less custom than the fewers profits from swallowing the costs. Was another story of a village pub landlady deciding to give up her "goldmine" pub because the last energy bill was close to £30k :eek: I think catering is going to suffer yet again just like they did with pandemic, except this time they won't be able to at least change to takeaway to get around restrictions because there simply won't be demand with people cutting back

Yeah I think so too.

Suffer directly and indirectly.

Directly from costs of food and bills.
And indirectly from the same.

Less customers. And bigger bills. Recipe for disaster. Its the easiest thing for us to cut.

We've started going to a cheaper pub less often.
How else can you save 50 quid just on one evening? 30 rather than 80 where we go now
Or even a takeaway. Makes an evening 20 quid rather than 80

People are reportedly filling their cars up then just driving off. Or they fill up, go in to pay but say that they have "lost" their wallet.

I know the price hike sucks, but if they've "forgotten" their wallet, I would make them log into their phone and get them to use Google or Apple Pay. Then if that doesn't work (the phone isn't linked to any cards), then I would hold onto their phone as insurance and make them come back with their wallet. Then if they don't even have their phone or wallet on them, then number plate is recorded and bailiffs after them. They're doing this trick deliberately and they know it.

People are reportedly filling their cars up then just driving off. Or they fill up, go in to pay but say that they have "lost" their wallet.

I know the price hike sucks, but if they've "forgotten" their wallet, I would make them log into their phone and get them to use Google or Apple Pay. Then if that doesn't work (the phone isn't linked to any cards), then I would hold onto their phone as insurance and make them come back with their wallet. Then if they don't even have their phone or wallet on them, then number plate is recorded and bailiffs after them. They're doing this trick deliberately and they know it.

Surely forecourts capture number plates and it's an open/shut case, sure people can drive off but they'll be caught pretty damn quick.

£80 night on a takeaway or pub - If you are in that demographic, like the Tories, you are not part of the squeezed middle/man on the street - AA awaits.

80 in a nice pub/restaurant for 2 people is probably "decent" . I have friends who regularly pay twice that.
This is a once a month thing too.

When I was doing my mortgage calculations apparently people on our household income spend 300 on eating out a month! I was shocked.

Yeah I think so too.

Suffer directly and indirectly.

Directly from costs of food and bills.
And indirectly from the same.

Less customers. And bigger bills. Recipe for disaster. Its the easiest thing for us to cut.

We've started going to a cheaper pub less often.
How else can you save 50 quid just on one evening? 30 rather than 80 where we go now
Or even a takeaway. Makes an evening 20 quid rather than 80

Even takeaway has gone up massively, as per above post, our local chippy is up ~20% (cost us ~£20 instead of the usual £17-18) and the last time we had Chinese it was almost £40, usually £30!

Even takeaway has gone up massively, as per above post, our local chippy is up ~20% (cost us ~£20 instead of the usual £17-18) and the last time we had Chinese it was almost £40, usually £30!

Yeah I don't get Chinese anymore. Its always a bit 'meh' around the local ones, have to pay in cash half the time and just not worth the cost, its quite expensive now .

We cut back on takeaways etc during lockdown and never returned to previous spending. Was tempted the other day but was too expensive so just cooked something instead.

Hospitality is going to take a big hit this year with the double whammy of increased costs and customers saving money. The fancy restaurants will be OK, they charge enough to survive and the well off will still pay it. Others not so much.

Back
Top Bottom