Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

My company has just started a fuel allowance scheme to combat the prices of fuel in hope of retaining staff. I have a 42 mile journey to work, and they have offered £10.26 per day for that mileage. It's better than nothing, if they didn't I know there were a lot of people considering a change in job, to take a sideways move or a slight pay cut was a saving of 3-500 a month on fuel. in some peoples situations that's the cost of their mortgage.

My company has just started a fuel allowance scheme to combat the prices of fuel in hope of retaining staff. I have a 42 mile journey to work, and they have offered £10.26 per day for that mileage. It's better than nothing, if they didn't I know there were a lot of people considering a change in job, to take a sideways move or a slight pay cut was a saving of 3-500 a month on fuel. in some peoples situations that's the cost of their mortgage.
Do they extend that to people who travel by public transport?

The vast majority of my office live local and drive in, whereas I have a 2 hour journey by train each way that costs £22/day.

Do they extend that to people who travel by public transport?

The vast majority of my office live local and drive in, whereas I have a 2 hour journey by train each way that costs £22/day.

Nope, it's purely fuel allowance. The less miles you do the less you get, and it's split into 4 categories radially from work. Minimum distance if 5 miles to qualify.

So on the latter part of your scenario, do they need proof that your employer only allows you twice or do they take that from your form you submit (i.e. take your word for it)?

I've not yet claimed so can't say for sure, I do have a statement on my contract saying that I'm now a "WFH employee" in a more official manner, so if the taxman ever did come asking then I do have some proof.

Do you know if this is means tested? In theory, my company now has more workers than available desks - so it is possible that I wouldn't be able to have a desk in the office one day.

I don't believe so, the tax relief is something like a paltry £1.50 a week, I don't recall seeing it as means tested, but as always I'm not an IFA / DYOR :p.

I know one bloke at work that drives a Range Rover is thinking about quitting and getting a local job. He spends around £500 a month on fuel to drive to work, he owes more on the loan for the car than the car is worth as well so not a good position to be in, not to mention it has a habit of throwing up large bills.

I'm happy at least we can do it own start and finish times so I never have to drive in rush hour which used to use a lot more fuel.

I looked at public transport and cycling to work Vs driving:

Cycling -

About 1-2 mile longer route than car which takes me through a very busy town centre at rush hour and, according to Google Maps, would take around 55 mins each way.

Then there is the adverse weather issue and dark roads in Winter.

Fitness is a plus though.

Cost - £1/day (I have a bike and equipment but this would cover punctures, maintenance, new clothing when needed)

Public transport -

15 min walk to train station followed by 2 trains and 10 min walk at work side. Total time is 1hr45 mins each way due to train timings (add 35 mins if i am held late at work by 4-5 mins as I miss that train and have to wait on next one).

There are no plus points to this method.

Cost - £6/ Day.

Car -

Around 15-20 mins traffic dependant.

Plus points are travel time compared to the other methods, comfort and having a car available when off work for other things.

Cost - at current fuel price (£1.82 for petrol at local place) and pro-rating insurance, RFL and maintenance (car is owned outright) - £5.25/day.

So public transport is longer, more expensive and less convenient than both other forms - not viable at all compared to other methods.

Cycling is cheaper but longer and less convenient both for weather reasons and being less flexible for days off. It is a saving of circa £125/month over the car

Car is much much quicker and more convenient (have car for other uses) but costs more than cycling.

I looked at cycling it's 16miles each way but the thought of cycling through the middle of Manchester and specifically Rusholme. No thanks. Like you said the fitness would be nice, but it would also add 2 hours a day into my commute. Currently 30 mins each way by car. Google says 1h22m by bike.

Seems a bit discriminatory towards people who don't own a car and travel by 'greener' means. xD
we need to do what the germans have where they have provided a blanket £9/month for (then free) local public transport&train usage, in addition to greater fuel duty reduction,
so you get some people off the road too, and those w/o cars benefit.

Is that taxable?

Fuel costs are starting to creep back up where I live in the USA. I brimmed the tank of our minivan yesterday at a local Costco (cheapest place for miles) for £0.90 /litre, and I know of friends in California that are paying more than £1.35 per litre. It's worth noting that not many cars here get as good mileage per gallon as cars in the UK. Our new minivan gets about 15 to 18 miles per gallon when driving around the city (not exclusively motorway driving), but it does have a 3.6 litre V6 engine that produces about 290 bhp.

As for natural gas prices, we're on a 12 month fixed deal that expires in a few months and the current cheapest next fix is about 55% more expensive, so that'll be (not) fun. On the whole, gas is still cheaper than electricity here, even if you take into account gas inefficiency; stove top gas cooking versus an electric induction hob, for example. With that said, our gas water boiler is by far and large the biggest consumer of gas, and I believe that it's reasonably efficient.

Last edited:
OVO emailed again to tell me they have done another '3 monthly direct debit health check' (in reality it's around 1 x direct debit health check every 3 weeks so far so not sure where their staff went to school) and have decided for the 4th time to hike our DD up by £60 a month.

So as per my previous posts, I read their email this morning and immediately cancelled the currently active direct debit for the bill. Be around Monday/Tuesday that I'll receive an email from OVO saying 'We've noticed you have cancelled your direct debit, please set another one up'...........which I will duly do - yet again, for the amount I wish to pay, not the amount they want me to pay.

This seems to now be a monthly occurrence - they email to tell me I need to increase the DD, I don't increase it. They email me to tell me they are going to increase it whether I agree or not, I cancel the direct debit. They then email me to tell me they have been informed my DD has been cancelled, I then set up a new DD to them for the monthly payment. Rinse and repeat, as a monthly occurrence.

Happy to keep doing this, OVO.........feel free to keep wasting your time trying to increase my DD :rolleyes:. For those in a similar position, just keep cancelling your DD and setting a new one up if your energy provider is at the same game.

OVO emailed again to tell me they have done another '3 monthly direct debit health check' (in reality it's around 1 x direct debit health check every 3 weeks so far so not sure where their staff went to school) and have decided for the 4th time to hike our DD up by £60 a month.

So as per my previous posts, I read their email this morning and immediately cancelled the currently active direct debit for the bill. Be around Monday/Tuesday that I'll receive an email from OVO saying 'We've noticed you have cancelled your direct debit, please set another one up'...........which I will duly do - yet again, for the amount I wish to pay, not the amount they want me to pay.

This seems to now be a monthly occurrence - they email to tell me I need to increase the DD, I don't increase it. They email me to tell me they are going to increase it whether I agree or not, I cancel the direct debit. They then email me to tell me they have been informed my DD has been cancelled, I then set up a new DD to them for the monthly payment. Rinse and repeat, as a monthly occurrence.

Happy to keep doing this, OVO.........feel free to keep wasting your time trying to increase my DD :rolleyes:. For those in a similar position, just keep cancelling your DD and setting a new one up if your energy provider is at the same game.
Or follow the advice I and many have given and ask to be put on whole amount / variable direct debit payment.

Back
Top Bottom