Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I was going to say how ridiculous spending 80 quid on a night is but just worked out my £30 in the late 80s was the same ,pub crawl ,frontier club Batley ,curry ,taxi
This is getting ridiculous (beer energy price)
yes ok - does seem beer was relatively cheaper back then ... but psychologically unlike younger folks if you remember prices back then it doesn't feel like the new prices are better value, pubs/clubs/restos full of smoke though. (things go full circle media reports this week of fad of vaping, promoted via tik-tok, causing gum disease)

Since 1987, the price of beer in the on-trade has risen by 31% relative goods. However, real disposable incomes have risen by 72%. The net result is that a pint of beer in the pub accounts for a much smaller share of an average person’s budget than it has done for most of the recorded past.

I guess that depends if you go to weatherspoons or the **** in cider for your tipple.. then again people that drink from home can obtain supermarket priced goods which cuts down the cost by quite a bit.

I'm not ashamed to say I'm more of a Wetherspoons kinda guy.

To be honest unless it's some special occasion I've been invited to I won't drink in a pub anymore, too expensive.

If I get invited to a party or some similar event that has a bar, I'll front load before turning up and hip flask it.

These rip off fuel prices must be seriously affecting community care workers now won't be surprised if they start to leave in droves

Yeah agreed. I think the government will have to cut vat on fuel.

I think they might.

I said way back I bet they will change the 150gbp loan for energy to a grant. And they are just drip feeding the freebies. And they did.

Tactically, you don't want to give everything now you give bit by bit. They will want to save the fuel cut until they have to. Then play the card, win a few votes.

More help will be forthcoming I think

Will VAT cuts be passed onto consumers though? On one hand you think they would be as Supermarkets compete on fuel price to drive footfall to their stores but the 5p duty cut wasn't passed on according to multiple sources.

Think it's time to pump the bike tyres back up. That said...

Problem is we need proper segregated cycle lanes in the towns and cities and decent shoulders on country roads for a modicum of safety. Down here in darkest Wiltshire many what could be regarded as quite busy secondary routes have no centre markings, barely wide enough for two cars to pass without bumping mirrors and high banks or bush growth right up to the edge, which is generally crumbling away too.

Manchester council have been modifying hundreds of miles of roads around here with split cycle/driving lanes. It's been a right nightmare traffic wise, but when it's complete it should have a variety of safe routes for cyclists.

Yep. They also stopped the tax code they paid you about £70 that you could have claimed for past couple of years from WFH.

The WFH tax rebate is still available, it's just much stricter than the last couple of years. Essentially to claim it you MUST WFH rather than CHOOSE to WFH - i.e if you have an office that you can go to for 5 days a week but choose not to, or chose only to go in a couple of days then you can't claim. The rebate is also available if you have to WFH even on a part time basis - which should mean hybrid workers can claim. i.e my employer prohibits me from working in the office for the full 5 days a week, we're actually only allowed to use it twice a week.

The WFH tax rebate is still available, it's just much stricter than the last couple of years. Essentially to claim it you MUST WFH rather than CHOOSE to WFH - i.e if you have an office that you can go to for 5 days a week but choose not to, or chose only to go in a couple of days then you can't claim. The rebate is also available if you have to WFH even on a part time basis - which should mean hybrid workers can claim. i.e my employer prohibits me from working in the office for the full 5 days a week, we're actually only allowed to use it twice a week.

Do you know if this is means tested? In theory, my company now has more workers than available desks - so it is possible that I wouldn't be able to have a desk in the office one day.

These rip off fuel prices must be seriously affecting community care workers now won't be surprised if they start to leave in droves

Some of my colleagues are talking about their partners dropping out of roles like that as soon they'd be better off "stacking supermarket shelves" in something closer to home.

I know people who literally are on the edge of being unable to afford to get to work as well.

That won't happen.

Not sure which bit you are saying won't happen but living in a fairly rural area where people have no choice but to drive quite a bit to get to work, etc. there are people where it is close to a reality that it will cost more to get to work than they can realistically afford.

So on the latter part of your scenario, do they need proof that your employer only allows you twice or do they take that from your form you submit (i.e. take your word for it)?

Back
Top Bottom