Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

OVO emailed again to tell me they have done another '3 monthly direct debit health check' (in reality it's around 1 x direct debit health check every 3 weeks so far so not sure where their staff went to school) and have decided for the 4th time to hike our DD up by £60 a month.

So as per my previous posts, I read their email this morning and immediately cancelled the currently active direct debit for the bill. Be around Monday/Tuesday that I'll receive an email from OVO saying 'We've noticed you have cancelled your direct debit, please set another one up'...........which I will duly do - yet again, for the amount I wish to pay, not the amount they want me to pay.

This seems to now be a monthly occurrence - they email to tell me I need to increase the DD, I don't increase it. They email me to tell me they are going to increase it whether I agree or not, I cancel the direct debit. They then email me to tell me they have been informed my DD has been cancelled, I then set up a new DD to them for the monthly payment. Rinse and repeat, as a monthly occurrence.

Happy to keep doing this, OVO.........feel free to keep wasting your time trying to increase my DD :rolleyes:. For those in a similar position, just keep cancelling your DD and setting a new one up if your energy provider is at the same game.
My fixed rate with ovo is due to end next week and I’m not sure I cba to go through that so regularly. Can you not just cancel the DD and pay the bill when they come in instead?

A 5p cut isn't going to touch the surface really, as was seen with the last one. They need to do something drastic like totally removing vat.

What it needs is a cap, They dropped 5 pence off the duty and all that happened is they upped the price at the pump higher than it was to start with to make even more money!

How is it in 2008 a barrel was 20+ dollars more than today but average price at pump was 130p for diesel then ?
Greed thats all it is!

What it needs is a cap, They dropped 5 pence off the duty and all that happened is they upped the price at the pump higher than it was to start with to make even more money!

How is it in 2008 a barrel was 20+ dollars more than today but average price at pump was 130p for diesel then ?
Greed thats all it is!

Probably blame the higher cost of energy to refine the oil I guess

Greed thats all it is!
Refinery costs have quadrupled. Refinary capacity is even harder to increase than oil supply.

My fixed rate with ovo is due to end next week and I’m not sure I cba to go through that so regularly. Can you not just cancel the DD and pay the bill when they come in instead?
Unfortunately not, as far as understand. The small print in the T&C's for the deal on the 2 year Fix & Protect deal we got stipulates that you must pay via a monthly direct debit. So technically every time they change it and I cancel then set up a new DD, I'm not breaking their T&C's as I always pay the monthly DD. I just choose to pay it on my terms :cool: Yes - its a PITA though, I agree.

To be fair, its not just OVO Energy who are doing these 'DD Health Checks' and forcing customers to pay what the energy provider wants to be paid every month, I believe there are a number of providers doing this.

Refinery costs have quadrupled. Refinary capacity is even harder to increase than oil supply.

Refineries are charging over 4x as much which is not the same as Refinery costs quadrupling (clearing that up in case it's mis-read)

This part of the process is sheer profiteering.

Refineries are charging over 4x as much which is not the same as Refinery costs quadrupling (clearing that up in case it's mis-read)

This part of the process is sheer profiteering.

Indeed, Yes there have been increases but most of the cost is due to the major players in their respective industries basically profiteering/cashing in on the pandemic/war ect .

I looked at cycling it's 16miles each way but the thought of cycling through the middle of Manchester and specifically Rusholme. No thanks. Like you said the fitness would be nice, but it would also add 2 hours a day into my commute. Currently 30 mins each way by car. Google says 1h22m by bike.

:cry: you'd probably get it nicked in Rusholme.

OVO emailed again to tell me they have done another '3 monthly direct debit health check' (in reality it's around 1 x direct debit health check every 3 weeks so far so not sure where their staff went to school) and have decided for the 4th time to hike our DD up by £60 a month.

So as per my previous posts, I read their email this morning and immediately cancelled the currently active direct debit for the bill. Be around Monday/Tuesday that I'll receive an email from OVO saying 'We've noticed you have cancelled your direct debit, please set another one up'...........which I will duly do - yet again, for the amount I wish to pay, not the amount they want me to pay.

This seems to now be a monthly occurrence - they email to tell me I need to increase the DD, I don't increase it. They email me to tell me they are going to increase it whether I agree or not, I cancel the direct debit. They then email me to tell me they have been informed my DD has been cancelled, I then set up a new DD to them for the monthly payment. Rinse and repeat, as a monthly occurrence.

Happy to keep doing this, OVO.........feel free to keep wasting your time trying to increase my DD :rolleyes:. For those in a similar position, just keep cancelling your DD and setting a new one up if your energy provider is at the same game.

Haven't read everything. Is it that you don't agree with the obsessed amount? It's more than you want to pay? Or is more than your estimation based on their rates and your actual usage?

Haven't read everything. Is it that you don't agree with the obsessed amount? It's more than you want to pay? Or is more than your estimation based on their rates and your actual usage?

Pretty much all of the above, yes. The amount I voluntarily set up the monthly DD more than covers our usage by a considerable buffer. As I've alluded to in previous posts, we are using less and less gas/electricity at this point and will do for several months going forward. I know they try and estimate your usage across the term of your fixed rate deal (2 years in this case) but when I start using more energy once it starts getting into Autumn again, I'll be happy to pay for that usage and increase any DD accordingly. And I understand that they would wish me to build up a credit in my account so it in theory potentially covers my increased usage towards the end of the year/when it gets colder, but I'd rather pay for that usage once I've actually started using more gas and elec, not right now in a broadly speculative manner :)

Pretty much all of the above, yes. The amount I voluntarily set up the monthly DD more than covers our usage by a considerable buffer. As I've alluded to in previous posts, we are using less and less gas/electricity at this point and will do for several months going forward. I know they try and estimate your usage across the term of your fixed rate deal (2 years in this case) but when I start using more energy once it starts getting into Autumn again, I'll be happy to pay for that usage and increase any DD accordingly. And I understand that they would wish me to build up a credit in my account so it in theory potentially covers my increased usage towards the end of the year/when it gets colder, but I'd rather pay for that usage once I've actually started using more gas and elec, not right now in a broadly speculative manner :)
Then setup a whole amount direct debit instead and stop moaning about the budget direct debit option changing all the time. Its designed it change. If you want to be paying for what you use (the most sensible option) then call your supplier and request a whole amount direct debit instead.

What you are moaning about it literally a non issue, you are just on the wrong payment method for your needs.

I have exactly the same issue with OVO. I’m £140 in credit right now but they want to increase my direct debit by 90% because their projections think I’m going to somehow triple my average monthly usage in kWh. I call to cancel the increase and they agree and cancel it and a few weeks later it gets put up again. I’ve done this 4-5 times now…

I have exactly the same issue with OVO. I’m £140 in credit right now but they want to increase my direct debit by 90% because their projections think I’m going to somehow triple my average monthly usage in kWh. I call to cancel the increase and they agree and cancel it and a few weeks later it gets put up again. I’ve done this 4-5 times now…
Then setup a whole amount DD instead. Also keep in mind the "projection" includes price increases and the suppliers putting peoples payments up more than they should (which they are getting in trouble about). Literally no one should be on budget direct debit (the one you are on) unless you NEED to budget.

Back
Top Bottom