Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

We average about 50-60p on gas at the moment at £2.50+ on electricity. Much more if we run the dishwasher/washing machine. Today will probably be £4 ish on electricity for normal use along with 3 loads of washing and a dishwasher run.

There are two of us and I work at home all day. I do have a fancy coffee machine which costs circa 50p extra a day to run as its quite the beast.

I'm not looking forward to our bills in the winter as we will be using a tumble drier to do our clothes.

I agree people should quote figures based on kwh not £ because it will vary

No idea what my cost per unit is because my supplier went bust and I was shipped over to shell and when I did a comparison soon after I was lead to believe that there was little point switching to any other provider based on cost. Just have to keep an eye on the missus honestly. Shes a menace. Lights on everywhere she goes, would put herself in the dishwasher (well, half herself because why would you want a full dishwasher) and she loves putting stuff in the tumble drier in summer if the weather isn't great.

No idea what my cost per unit is because my supplier went bust and I was shipped over to shell and when I did a comparison soon after I was lead to believe that there was little point switching to any other provider based on cost. Just have to keep an eye on the missus honestly. Shes a menace. Lights on everywhere she goes, would put herself in the dishwasher (well, half herself because why would you want a full dishwasher) and she loves putting stuff in the tumble drier in summer if the weather isn't great.

No but you can just put how many units you use down, no need to convert to £ necessarily.

Ultimately more units used = more cash spent.

Ofgem said the following.

Ofgem accused some firms of using customers' accumulated credit like an "interest-free company credit card".

So I guess we wasnt imagining it then.

Also

Ofgem also wants to protect credit balances when suppliers fail so the costs are not picked up by customers.

So looks like some kind of protection scheme is coming as well.

Thank god for the summer, £44 gas bill this month, split 5 ways. That’ll do nicely :D

£44?! That seems very high even accounting for 5 of you. Our bill for last month was £16 for 2 adults 2 kids.

So what are we expecting the electricity cap unit rates to be in October? Around 45p? Seems like a 12 month fix at 35p is a good plan....

£44?! That seems very high even accounting for 5 of you. Our bill for last month was £16 for 2 adults 2 kids.

So what are we expecting the electricity cap unit rates to be in October? Around 45p? Seems like a 12 month fix at 35p is a good plan....
I assume you have a modern boiler?

My SC for gas alone is circa £8 month. My pilot light is another £8 month as well, so basically even if I dont use any hot water or heating I pay £16 month for just having gas available.

Octopus have added a balance forecast which is pure comedy, its as I suspected they assume everyone has a considerable increase usage in winter which obviously makes people pay too much when their winter usage is comparable to their summer usage.

However they are also still in complete dream land in their normal monthly estimates.

My actual bill for actual reading is under £80 month.

Estimates for summer months are £220 month, and £380 for winter months.

Depends on lots of factors like your house age, boiler, usage etc. £16 is very low anyway.

Depends on lots of factors like your house age, boiler, usage etc. £16 is very low anyway.

£4.35 standing charge
£11.69 usage

1950s house with double skin brick walls (afaik no cavity wall insulation), only 100mm of loft insulation, double glazing in need of replacement (quite a few gaps and windows that don't seal properly) and with gas cooker, central heating and boiler fed shower.

Edit: ignore, just noticed it's only from 16th May - 1st June for some reason (doh! :rolleyes:), so more like £32... makes more sense!

Just fixed electric at 35p for another 12 months, looks like that's going to save £60+/month compared to the October cap rates, and only 5p/unit more than the current cap. Still going to be over £300/month for both though :(

Electricity only here. We have an air source heat pump.

Daily Standing Charge: 40p
Day Rate: 28p p/kWh
Night Rate: 16.7 p/kWh

I manage to get that fixed until April 2023 before the last capped price increases.

Right now, we're averaging around £3.20 per day. That's dishwasher and water heating up during the night. I go to bed at 12am and when I come down in the morning, Smart Meter is showing £1.30 ish of electricity used. We have a water heating cycle that comes on in the afternoon, which is a killer on the day rate. The rest of the time, I WFH (laptop and low power monitor), we have a radio on and off, cooking, TV on in the evening, etc. That £3.20 average per day can go up at the moment towards the weekend when wife uses the washing machine and the tumble dryer (if outside weather is bad).

I wouldn't say we're wasting electricity. We had LED lights everywhere and nearly all appliances have been replaced in the last 18 months with more energy efficient ones and we're in a home built in the last 10 years.

With the exception of ditching the heating of water in the afternoon, I can't see where we cut back on. of All of the above is without the air source heat pump kicking in to heat the home. Not looking forward to autumn/winter!

I was lucky enough to lock into a 12 months fixed before the last price increases. I feel really sorry for those who didn't and are then going to be hit by another increase later this year.:(

100mm?!! Seriously, get some insulation in that loft!!

It such an easy DIY job.

Already have... Unfortunately it's currently in roll form :cry:

Hard to find the time with a 2 year old running around, and unfortunately about half of it is boarded over so I need to move all the stuff around first and put loft legs down, so not as simple as just unrolling it

Back
Top Bottom