Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

4.15x the amount on electric, 10.7x on my nightly cost and about 1.95x the standing charge.

5.92x the amount on the gas, but only about 1.2x the standing charge.

If I look at my bill for the year average and multiply that it’s going to put my bill at £480 a month give or take £20.

If prices are going up again based on the average house at £2k going to £3.3k then I’m going to be approaching £800 a month. Who the hell can afford that? That’s a mortgage..
Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but are you double counting?

Those new prices shown by Octopus with the 53p elec and 17p gas isn't that going to be the avg £3.3k usage, not the £2k usage?

If so, you wouldnt need to multiply your current usage with those rates then scale up again?

I use about 850 units a month average on electric.

I use about 420 units a month average gas. (700 max winter, 140 lowest month this year so far).

At those prices with standing charges amounting to about £25 a month you are talking over £470 all in on electric and £85-90 all in on gas.. that’s £560 a month. And if that’s based on an average house using £2k a year then at £3.3k coke autumn that’s £924 on my use!!

I’m obviously assuming the worst in that octopus go goes as it’s a trial service after all. With go it’s still going to put my bill at around £440 all in. (I charge a car at night circa 280 units a month).

Moving on to the autumn figures will still put me in excess of £700. Again, it isn’t viable.

Solar should be going in by Christmas anyway so it’s now all doom and gloom but I’d rather not have to spend out like this as I’m sure no one would.

You must have an eV to use 800 unita a month?

We use 300 (about 10kwh a day) and are full time WFH

Yeah he did say he charges a car at 280 units a month, so usage is very skewed. I'm sure if people added their equivalent fuel bills into their energy bill they'd be seeing an equivalent amount each month.

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but are you double counting?

Those new prices shown by Octopus with the 53p elec and 17p gas isn't that going to be the avg £3.3k usage, not the £2k usage?

If so, you wouldnt need to multiply your current usage with those rates then scale up again?

Nope, no double counting here. Broke it down on a post above. Average 850 elec units a month, average of 420 gas. It soon adds up when you consider those prices per unit and the standing charge..

Nope, no double counting here. Broke it down on a post above. Average 850 elec units a month, average of 420 gas. It soon adds up when you consider those prices per unit and the standing charge..
People are going to have to learn to conserve energy I guess, get a meter and see where you're wasting it.

850 units of electric is pretty extreme. We average 250 a month with both of us working from home.

People are going to have to learn to conserve energy I guess, get a meter and see where you're wasting it.

850 units of electric is pretty extreme. We average 250 a month with both of us working from home.
Pretty dim but for clarity q here, but unit is what exactly? The integer in the meter or per kWh? I'm roughly doing around 250 integer units per month by the meter reading.

Pretty dim but for clarity q here, but unit is what exactly? The integer in the meter or per kWh? I'm roughly doing around 250 integer units per month by the meter reading.
I believe 'a unit' is generally a kWh. I am definitely talking kWh.

My gas usage is much higher in winter, but this old house leaks heat like a sieve and I've got a load of insulation work to do before winter.

Exactly. My fuel for car use is £440 a month which is why people need to separate their usage in discussion.
It’s a PHEV. I use 500miles or so on electric hence the 280 units. I then fill up to the sum of around £180 assuming the cars now doing about 18-20p a mile. *shudders* . If I took the car and went fuel only I’d be looking at £300. Which given I’m on octopus go does save me a good chunk but still.. I use 10 units a night 6 nights a week, sometimes 7. That’s charging the car up.

My partner uses the washing machine for work so that runs 3 times a day with our own laundry, sometimes more. The tumble dryer runs at night a couple of times a week at least, if not more if we can’t get things dry due to the weather (her work stuff) and then everything in the home is electric bar the water and heating so the oven and induction hob are big players in my bill.

The most I’ve used in a day the last 12 months is 46.78 units and I often have 2 days a month in the 40s.

That’ll be a car charge, lots of washing, some batch cooking for the little one and then typical uses of tvs (sometimes 3 at once because kids), the gaming pc and monitors, bounce fridges freezers, the mower, strimmer and pressure washer.

As a bonus, the House is 100% LED light fitted now which saves no end! Its modern so thermally efficient too.

I think that solar Panels are the only way forward. If I am on go and remain on go and if the bulk of my use can be generated during the day, with battery storage there too to soften the blow elsewhere, I should with 12 - 14 panels be able to save 300 billable units + a month (average) if I make some changes to when things are used. Working from home allows for this so I just need to sit down and be sensible.

I’ve always had high power draw even as a sole user in a home I would see 600+ but again, that was due to the car. It’s amazing how others in the house and their requirements can change the usage dynamic so drastically.

Come the end of the year im forcasting a large increase in gas explosion and electrical fires from people bypassing meters. Inflation looking to hit minimum of 11%, interest rates will be 2.5% if we keep on track with the increases so far this year. Food costs are rocketing, fuel costs are insane.

I'm firmly expecting protests in the streets and possibly even riots.

Come the end of the year im forcasting a large increase in gas explosion and electrical fires from people bypassing meters. Inflation looking to hit minimum of 11%, interest rates will be 2.5% if we keep on track with the increases so far this year. Food costs are rocketing, fuel costs are insane.

Well you must be fun at parties :cry:

riots for sure, and none of the pushing over statues rubbish it will be absolute carnage.

Well you must be fun at parties :cry:

Lol cheers. Seriously though, there is already a 10000+ strong telegram group with people charging £200 to bypass or change meters so the supplier wont know how much you have really used. I work for one of the big suppliers and you only need to speak to any of the call centre staff and listen to what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Heard stories of oaps crying and in a hysterical mess because they cant afford their bills, people raging and making death threats because they received a large bill (which is billed correctly) due to the prices. Had someone threaten to come to the office and rape one of our staff because of their bill size and us not being able to offer more than a payment plan which they couldnt afford. (Police were called on that one). We have staff breaking down on a daily basis and off sick with stress due to the threats they receive and the harrowing things customers tell them and it's only going to get worse!

placid ... I blame poor modern history education
The Winter of Discontent was a period of unrest, mainly centered around strikes against unfair wage restrictions, accompanied by storms that occurred during the winter of 1978-1979 in the United Kingdom. James Callaghan, prime minister and member of the “Labour” party during the Winter of Discontent, had put restrictions against wage increases into place in an attempt to combat inflation- a limit of 5% on wage increases. Some trade unions did not agree with the wage restriction, nor did a lot of union workers (which was over half the total workforce), so many ended up striking from November 1978 to February 1979. The strikes consisted of, but were not limited to: Ford Motor Company employees, drivers who transported goods, and even healthcare workers from around the country. The effects of these protests were amplified by the weather; the coldest UK winter in 16 years.

e: Boris could be handing over a poisoned chalice

Lol cheers. Seriously though, there is already a 10000+ strong telegram group with people charging £200 to bypass or change meters so the supplier wont know how much you have really used. I work for one of the big suppliers and you only need to speak to any of the call centre staff and listen to what they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Heard stories of oaps crying and in a hysterical mess because they cant afford their bills, people raging and making death threats because they received a large bill (which is billed correctly) due to the prices. Had someone threaten to come to the office and rape one of our staff because of their bill size and us not being able to offer more than a payment plan which they couldnt afford. (Police were called on that one). We have staff breaking down on a daily basis and off sick with stress due to the threats they receive and the harrowing things customers tell them and it's only going to get worse!
And the profits these companies are making now a load of them have gone bust allowing for an easy means of price gouging between who is left is part of the problem. The staff shouldn’t ever be treated like that but those at the top are opening the doors for it.

And the profits these companies are making now a load of them have gone bust allowing for an easy means of price gouging between who is left is part of the problem. The staff shouldn’t ever be treated like that but those at the top are opening the doors for it.
You are aware there is basically no profit in residential gas and electric supply and most of the profit comes from business and industry gas and electric. When Npower bit the dust, no-one wanted the residential side of Npower because it wasnt profitable but the business side was very profitable. Part of the condition of Npowers takeover was if you want the business you HAVE to take the unprofitable residential customers. The profit for a residential customer for a whole year varies from about £10 to £40 and if that customer calls in once about any reason that wipes the profit out due to cost to serve. Yes energy suppliers are profiting but more out of sheer volume of low profit customers but mainly from business' and large industry but they arent making hundreds or thousands off residential customers. If you want to direct your anger direct it at the energy companies that supply/generate the electic or gas... hence the multi billion pound profit increases they have seen the last year,

Back
Top Bottom