Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Getting inflation under control is the single biggest most important thing the government and Bank Of England must do over the coming 24 months.

The UK is not self-sufficient and the inflation we are seeing is imported inflation. We are not the likes of Russia who is self-sufficient as they have everything they need to run a successful economy, those being mass energy supply and food.

Watch what happens in the US over the coming months as they dictate the direction of things to go. If the US Fed continue to increase interest rates, you can be sure that the rest of the west follows suit, unless you want to end up like Venezuela.

So glad I made the jump to solar

Currently I‘m just using solar energy - it powers my house, charges my home battery and heats water - so no gas use either.
Also, a small amount of excess solar energy goes into my electric car which saves a little money too.
I charge my car overnight on Octopus Go at 7.5p kWh. Effectively a months driving miles (800) costs me about £15.

So my monthly Spring & Summer energy and fuel bill right now is about £18. (£3 accounts for the little power draw from the grid, as the solar inverter switches and manages the power).
Before solar my bill was £190 a month (This was a cheaper 12 month fix in March this year, e.g. standing electric charge is 25p per day. So this would be higher on the current and future variable rates).

This will increase a little in Autumn and Winter as there is less sun. So instead of using the sun to charge my home battery, I will charge it overnight at 7.5p, avoiding having to use electric at 30p+ kWh and some gas at 7p (rising to ~17p from October)

Last edited:
This is what the Bank of England has just said regarding interest rates:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...holds-can-withstand-rates-of-up-to-5-boe-says

Basically, UK households can withstand interest rates of up to 5%. I agree with them. It is only irresponsible people who would struggle at anything less, and those are the ones who will end up with repossession, just like in past times.

My mortgage would go from £632 to £886 per month at 5%.
We can "withstand" it, but it'd absolutely suck as we'd no longer be able to save any money really, especially with everything else coupled on.

I'm basically transferring savings to the bank for "the bants" at that point.

Getting inflation under control is the single biggest most important thing the government and Bank Of England must do over the coming 24 months.

The UK is not self-sufficient and the inflation we are seeing is imported inflation. We are not the likes of Russia who is self-sufficient as they have everything they need to run a successful economy, those being mass energy supply and food.

Watch what happens in the US over the coming months as they dictate the direction of things to go. If the US Fed continue to increase interest rates, you can be sure that the rest of the west follows suit, unless you want to end up like Venezuela.

What about GBP depreciation? That compounds any "imported inflation".

Yes you have to have a certain level of wealth to be able to afford solar. So, wealthier people can save more money than poorer people on their bills, what a surprise...
Also to really have an efficient setup aswell costs quite a lot, batter proper amount of panels, power efficient products in the house etc, all these things are quite expensive but if you can afford it all it can be amazing.

I just wish it wasn't so out of reach for so many as you stated.

This is what the Bank of England has just said regarding interest rates:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...holds-can-withstand-rates-of-up-to-5-boe-says

Basically, UK households can withstand interest rates of up to 5%. I agree with them. It is only irresponsible people who would struggle at anything less, and those are the ones who will end up with repossession, just like in past times.
Anyone with sense will have locked themselves in to a low fixed rate for 5-10 years.

We've been in a blame culture for years now where some people won't accept any responsibility whatsoever for their own poor decision making and actions.
There isn't a "cost of living crisis" amongst sensible people who have been putting something away each month/year for a rainy day that was always going to come.

Quite frankly, if someone is too stupid enough to plan for the future and thinks that everything is free for their benefit, I have no words.

And also to add, we've been told that we have high employment levels and huge worker shortages, so an easy solution for someone struggling would be to take that second job. Of course, a lazy entitled layabout would much rather blame other people for their misfortunes and whinge on the internet that life isn't fair.

We've been in a blame culture for years now where some people won't accept any responsibility whatsoever for their own poor decision making and actions.
There isn't a "cost of living crisis" amongst sensible people who have been putting something away each month/year for a rainy day that was always going to come.

Quite frankly, if someone is too stupid enough to plan for the future and thinks that everything is free for their benefit, I have no words.
lol :rolleyes:

Wow. Just wow...

How does a working family in rented accomodation on minimum wage or even a bit more than minimum wage 'plan for the future'?

Wow. Just wow...

How does a working family in rented accomodation on minimum wage or even a bit more than minimum wage 'plan for the future'?
Not even just working familys, any individual on minimum or even average and above wages is struggling, this includes people who are responsible about keeping low debt among other things and manage their finances well. This is hitting everyone and the dude is just blaming those struggling while saying theres blame culture lmao. Ironic as hell.

What a ridiculous comment by Purple honestly.

Indeed, for a lot of people, and myself previously, if your cooker or washing machine breaks down, thats a major financial crisis for the houshold and would wipe out any meager savings you may have made.

Some people just have no idea what it's like to struggle financially, despite having a full time job.

Additional jobs. Currently, we've been told that there are significant and serious worker shortages, probably because people are too bone idle to want to work and just want everything to fall into their laps.

It amazes me how many of these same people who are currently up in arms about the "cost of living crisis" were only too happy to buy a rip-off over-priced brand new PCP car in the "good years". I'd hate to actually think about how much money they've blown over the years whilst thinking the party would never end, or not thinking at all most likely.

Indeed, for a lot of people, and myself previously, if your cooker or washing machine breaks down, thats a major financial crisis for the houshold and would wipe out any meager savings you may have made.

Some people just have no idea what it's like to struggle financially, despite having a full time job.

Indeed, which is exactly why people rely on cheap credit.

And also to add, we've been told that we have high employment levels and huge worker shortages, so an easy solution for someone struggling would be to take that second job. Of course, a lazy entitled layabout would much rather blame other people for their misfortunes and whinge on the internet that life isn't fair.
Please take your meds :(

Back
Top Bottom