Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The average UK personal debt is something like £34,000.

Not in the world of low income families, a vast majority of them your talking a few thousand at most and almost always down to a reduction in income, reduction in benefits or sudden expense from having to replace important appliances (cookers, washing machines or fridges). Very few people on low incomes have vasts amounts of debt through reckless spending. Most of these low income people are elegible for DROs rather than bankruptcy due to having <£75/month disposable income and <£20,000 in debt. From what I have seen most of them its between £4,000 and £10,000.

Source for this knowledge, 7 years working for the citizens advice bureaux offering debt advice.

There has definitely been an era of buy now pay later and monthly billing vs saving/outright purchasing.

I have a friend who dips into his overdraft constantly eating fees, then spends cash on things like new gpu/steam deck etc. They also get phones on poor contract rates and think they're getting a good deal (they're not).

A lot of companies are to blame for making long term finance easier and blinding people to the true cost, I reckon most people don't even bother to calculate the difference.

There has definitely been an era of buy now pay later and monthly billing vs saving/outright purchasing.

I have a friend who dips into his overdraft constantly eating fees, then spends cash on things like new gpu/steam deck etc. They also get phones on poor contract rates and think they're getting a good deal (they're not).

A lot of companies are to blame for making long term finance easier and blinding people to the true cost, I reckon most people don't even bother to calculate the difference.

That's somewhat true, and in most of the cases, it's the only option available to them. Like the pay day loans, easily accessible credit where checks are minimal but interest rates were into triple digits.

They could just go without, but that's not what society has been encouraged to do.

noticing a lot more electric? whooooosh cars on the road lately,
am i remembering this right, if you buy a Tesla car you get free
recharge points, forever?

I skip a phone generation or two sometimes, don't need to upgrade every year these days. My current phone is an s10+ which I purchased 2 years ago for £400 after trade in of old phone. This one should last at least another year I think.

I shop about for deals when it comes to renewing things like car insurance/home insurance/Internet.

I pay car tax/car insurance upfront in one go because it saves cash vs monthly. I drive a cheap car because it's relatively fuel efficient and my vehicle just gets me about, it's not a status symbol on pcp.

There are lots of ways people can save cash, but there is an element of needing savings/discipline to doing it.

TL:DR it's about making the money you do get go further, and not spending beyond your means.

answering myself with prolly bad math, first 1000 Miles (40 kWh) is free per year, after that
is 20p per kWH. £8.00 per 1000 Miles?

umm deal! if my math is right? that can't be right?

answering myself with prolly bad math, first 1000 Miles (40 kWh) is free per year, after that
is 20p per kWH. £8.00 per 1000 Miles?

umm deal! if my math is right? that can't be right?

Very bad maths, if you already have an 8 year old focus that's reliable and well maintained, what's the cheapest Tesla? £48k according to the website, lol! Better call wonga loans for a good finance deal! :D

Got a new gas bottle for my BBQ, my previous one was 12kg propane was about £35, 3 years ago.

Today, 10kg propane, £54.

Gas BBQ… Never did understand the point of those. When I make a BBQ what I find makes it special is the charcoal. The smell of it and it infusing into the meats :D

But yeah, so many things are skyrocketing in price sadly :(

Gas BBQ… Never did understand the point of those. When I make a BBQ what I find makes it special is the charcoal. The smell of it and it infusing into the meats :D

But yeah, so many things are skyrocketing in price sadly :(

Don't worry, I charcoal as well.

Actually I have 3 charcoal BBQs, although one is a travel one I don't use often.

Don't knock a gas BBQ though, it has it's place.

Reactions: TNA
Yes, just not in my house :cry:

Ahh you should consider it.

I always used to be anti gas BBQ, but it's convenience. Some random March evening, when your home from work it's dark and 4c outside, just whack it on the grill some marinated chicken on skewers or similar.

It's a better alternative to anything you could do on your kitchen - unless you got some fancy grill in your kitchen then fair play.

Ahh you should consider it.

I always used to be anti gas BBQ, but it's convenience. Some random March evening, when your home from work it's dark and 4c outside, just whack it on the grill some marinated chicken on skewers or similar.

It's a better alternative to anything you could do on your kitchen - unless you got some fancy grill in your kitchen then fair play.

Fair. Though we are trying to cut down on our meat consumption, so convenience like that probably would not help at all :cry:

i did a brim to brim fuel check this week i did Newquay ,Polzeath 2 runs to rough tor ,work in Padstow general driving £37 quid 2o yr old sdi Fabia not bad tbh ,will also run on veg oil apparently unmodded but filter upgrade advised

Back
Top Bottom