Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
While you and I know the money is on the extraction and generation side and thats where the real problem is, it only takes 5 minutes to realise most people who post in here consider the retail companies the issue not the extraction and generation ones and they then harp on about nationalising the retail element without understanding how the market works or where the faults in the market are.

Yep see how well that works for the taxpayer following Bulb for instance :p

I agree a lot of people seem to think the retail arms of these companies are making huge profits.

Which candidate you voting for if you're willing to say?

Rishi, im about 99% certain

I was a bit annoyed at him last night, I felt he bullied Liz and we needed to see her idiocy laid more bare. (Better to be thought an idiot then to confirm it by opening your mouth ;) )

I agree in general with this sugar rush comments.

I tend to think of Liz with Brexit as like reformed smokers, they were always the most vocal and OTT but they were happy to puff away eg in restaurants until they gave up!
Shes more dangerous here than he would be.

Soldato
Was just reading interesting article (paywall) about how close we came to the power going out last week.

We ended up paying an insane sum for some energy from Belgium to keep the lights on.

I saw that too with the weather everyone ought to have been outside... with everyone rushing to get aircon installed this is going to become critical in future (theres already another heatwave looming) its the same in other countries with heatwave conditions electrical grids barely holding up due to demand from everyone having aircon turned up to the max

The channels linking Britain to the EU have been working at full capacity. The UK has been using its excess regasification capacity to import more LNG and resell it as natural gas to Europe.

Terrific so they fill their gas reserves while we fill ours... oh wait we don't have one the govt closed them all down. Forward planning at its finest. /s

Last edited:
Soldato
Rishi, im about 99% certain

I was a bit annoyed at him last night, I felt he bullied Liz and we needed to see her idiocy laid more bare. (Better to be thought an idiot then to confirm it by opening your mouth ;) )

I agree in general with this sugar rush comments.

I tend to think of Liz with Brexit as like reformed smokers, they were always the most vocal and OTT but they were happy to puff away eg in restaurants until they gave up!
Shes more dangerous here than he would be.
Interesting, I personally thought Liz did a lot better last night and her words would resonate a lot more with people. I'd not be surprised if she won, and I'd prefer her over Sunak who I do agree with Liz on this, is tainted with previous problems and has resided over high tax and low growth. I think it is time to take a risk on change not more of the same which just isn't working.

Soldato
EDF is semi "known" as one that doesn't really play ball with credit agencies
As they don't credit check anyone there is more chance they end up with all the dregs that cant get energy elsewhere ;)
If someone is transferred to an alternative supplier through no choice of their own, there is no credit agreement in place in any case.

Do I consider I have a credit agreement with my energy supplier? No way do I. I pay them DD for energy consumed (averaged over a year) - it is not a credit facility even though I may move into and out of credit with them.

Difference with a phone contract is I give express permission to be credit checked up front on application.

Interesting, I personally thought Liz did a lot better last night and her words would resonate a lot more with people. I'd not be surprised if she won, and I'd prefer her over Sunak who I do agree with Liz on this, is tainted with previous problems and has resided over high tax and low growth. I think it is time to take a risk on change not more of the same which just isn't working.

I am sure she will resonate with more people, populism is always an easy sell.

I honestly think it would be out of the frying pan (Boris) and into the fire (with Liz)

I don't think most people have an actual scoobie doo about finance let alone running a country, when they say more of the same isn't working I wonder what metrics they actually apply to that decision.
My suspicion is simply the ones they hold most value to and its very much not a balanced scorecard.

I didn't see a single thing from either of them that gave me any hope of any real difference to now or in the short term. Unless you work hard to tackle wealth inequality your not going to change much, and "easing" the cost of living now is just more mortgaging the future for sweeties today.

Soldato
My suspicion is simply the ones they hold most value to and its very much not a balanced scorecard.
Agreed. What I see in my face most of the time is a perceived high tax level, huge inflationary pressures/cost of living issues and poor development of infrastructure. So those are what I judge things on.

I didn't see a single thing from either of them that gave me any hope of any real difference to now or in the short term. Unless you work hard to tackle wealth inequality your not going to change much, and "easing" the cost of living now is just more mortgaging the future for sweeties today.
Pain today or pain tomorrow. I'll choose tomorrow please. Gives me time to do something about it to prepare for it.

If someone is transferred to an alternative supplier through no choice of their own, there is no credit agreement in place in any case.

Do I consider I have a credit agreement with my energy supplier? No way do I. I pay them DD for energy consumed (averaged over a year) - it is not a credit facility even though I may move into and out of credit with them.

Difference with a phone contract is I give express permission to be credit checked up front on application.

It depends.
If you seek a quote most will credit check you, you give permission for that if doing it via price comparison.
If you accept their offer to supply and they include that they will liaise with / inform a credit agency in the details then you have absolutely agreed to it.
You need to read all the small print.

If they then novate the contract over to a new supplier then the terms remain the same. (So you could have been with a supplier who said they may but didn't, and be moved to one who actually does)

If you didn't have an agreement in place with your old supplier and your new one did perform this action you may have some grounds for complaint.

Its hard to imagine most suppliers not having a contract in place thats pretty darn watertight to be honest.

Soldato

I think your definition of change is very different to mine. She has held government positions for the past 10 years.

Soldato
It depends.
If you seek a quote most will credit check you, you give permission for that if doing it via price comparison.
If you accept their offer to supply and they include that they will liaise with / inform a credit agency in the details then you have absolutely agreed to it.
You need to read all the small print.

If they then novate the contract over to a new supplier then the terms remain the same. (So you could have been with a supplier who said they may but didn't, and be moved to one who actually does)

If you didn't have an agreement in place with your old supplier and your new one did perform this action you may have some grounds for complaint.

Its hard to imagine most suppliers not having a contract in place thats pretty darn watertight to be honest.
Correct me if Im wrong but the very definition of being on the default cap tariffs is that no contract is in place.

Associate
Correct me if Im wrong but the very definition of being on the default cap tariffs is that no contract is in place.
You are wrong. If your supply is changed to a Supplier Of Last Resort then you get what's known as a "deemed contract". This contract is under standard terms that are part of the regulatory framework put in by Ofgem.

Whenever there is an exchange of money for goods or services a contract must exist. Which is something lots of people don't seem to grasp when, for example, saying their mobile phone contract is coming to an end when what they mean is that the minimum term is nearly up. If the contract ends, then so does the service.

I don't believe so
You can have a contract for supply at variable pricing, a fixed price is just one thats limited in that regard.

I suspect unfortunatly its going to be tightened up even more. I suspect volatility will ensue and then some government legislation eventually once a cycle of nasty restrictions is attempted to be put in place by energy suppliers

This seems to indicate you are in contract (as I would expect) its just one thats got no restrictions nor notice required.

Back
Top Bottom