Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Suspended
What is it about then?
Putin's objective in invading Ukraine isn't to take control of Ukraine, or even the Donbas, the point of the exercise is to cripple Europe with an energy and food crisis.

All part of the long game he's been playing, Western leaders have been far too naive. Germans thinking buying all their gas would keep the peace, tories taking all the dirty Russian money thrown their way, a sodding KGB agent installed in the House of Lords! Let alone all the campaigning he did for Brexit and Trump.

Soldato
I don't think people yet realise that their bills are going to jump up 65% in the next rise, if not more. I spoke to a friend recently and they were blissfully unaware of the coming rise and just using their energy as normal. They seemed somewhat panic-stricken when I told them that for every £100 they pay, their direct debit will increase by £65 - they pay a little over £200 a month right now, so I suspect cuts will soon be made.

It's all about preparing for the future and getting your usage and direct debit down before the rise. It still annoys me that I'm paying for something I feel I'm barely sipping away at.

Associate
Let's not pretend this isn't causing a huge amount of damage to the Russian economy, outside of Russia their currency ain't worth ****. International markets won't want to invest when the West could roll out sanctions making those businesses lose money. I think some people are overestimating Putin. He's already lost, but the cost is unfortunately Ukraine stuck in the middle of all this. As for rest of Europe, we'll have to pay up, which Gov seem to find the money some how when it impact all of us

Associate
With a fivefold increase in profits reported by Centrica today, surely the government needs to do something.

Why not keep the cap as it is, let the energy providers take a loss on that part of their business, they’re making record profits elsewhere. All the little providers are out of business now, if some others go then so be it. If we’re left with just the big six, so what? There isn’t any competition now anyway.

It seems to me that we’re heading to some sort of nationalisation anyway. People simply can’t pay these bills, so many are completely unaware of what is about to hit. Huge debts are going to be built up, it’s going to have all sorts of knock on effects.

Soldato
With a fivefold increase in profits reported by Centrica today, surely the government needs to do something.

Why not keep the cap as it is, let the energy providers take a loss on that part of their business, they’re making record profits elsewhere. All the little providers are out of business now, if some others go then so be it. If we’re left with just the big six, so what? There isn’t any competition now anyway.

It seems to me that we’re heading to some sort of nationalisation anyway. People simply can’t pay these bills, so many are completely unaware of what is about to hit. Huge debts are going to be built up, it’s going to have all sorts of knock on effects.

Keeping the energy cap as it is will impact energy suppliers who aren't making billions, probably losses.
The current solution is to windfall tax the energy producers - likely the Government will further increase the support/aid on top of what has already been done.

Soldato
Most retail energy suppliers arent making any money on residential supplies as its basically a loss making venture. They are making money from business and industry supplies

Also seems suppliers are updating their fixed tarrifs this morning. EonNext have already updated the fixed offerings from 8am this morning

Caporegime
I do wonder when people will start to say enough is enough, and a deal has to be done with Russia. It's like Europe is cutting off its nose to spite it's face.

Vast amounts of the population will not be able to afford £400+ a month on energy bills. The government also won't be able to afford to keep giving out grants.

I don't really see a viable alternative. It'll take many years to bring new energy projects online, which leaves the country at the mercy of Russia.

We need to start acting now because we are buggered. Farming has to take priority as does manufacturing. We have sold out would to services which in the grand scheme of things means nothing

Suspended
Let's not pretend this isn't causing a huge amount of damage to the Russian economy, outside of Russia their currency ain't worth ****. International markets won't want to invest when the West could roll out sanctions making those businesses lose money. I think some people are overestimating Putin. He's already lost, but the cost is unfortunately Ukraine stuck in the middle of all this. As for rest of Europe, we'll have to pay up, which Gov seem to find the money some how when it impact all of us
Funny that he's spent the last decade systematically crushing dissent and consolidating his power in the country.....and now he's in a position to put the country through extreme hardship to achieve his wider goals knowing no-one's going to kick him out. Almost like he planned it eh!

Him and his cronies are sitting pretty, plenty of places round the world are happy to keep throwing money at them for their resources.

Seems to me that the West has been catastrophically underestimating Putin for a long time....

Soldato
We need to start acting now because we are buggered. Farming has to take priority as does manufacturing. We have sold out would to services which in the grand scheme of things means nothing
Yep, it seems the west needed a punch in the face to wake up to reality. It's going to be very painful though, it's taken decades to get in this state, it's not going to be fixed any time soon, and you need a government that wants to do it.

Soldato
Well, no. They aren't putting these sanctions in place just to give 2 fingers to Russia, the sanctions are there to stem the flow of cash into Russia which it is using to finance it's war machine to buy more arms

Yep well aware of the intent of the sanctions.

I'm amazed how many people believe the snake words and gaslighting Russia employs - even after all the blatant lying Russia has engaged with in the UN, etc. which is so outrageous even a child should see it for what it is.

Any kind of deal with Russia will be on their terms, while they use it to game the situation to make the path to their long term aspirations easier. Capitualating to Russia, which will be what it is, will simply be swapping short term relief for a much bigger long term problem. Russia isn't interested in any other kind of negotiation despite their words.

Which loosely translates to Russia having Europe over a barrel. Anyone would be naive to think Russia would happily come to some favourable deal for gas. Their economy is trashed, and they can see Europe's economy is heavily reliant on Russian gas to run, so they're hellbent on trashing it as well.

It wouldn't surprise me if Russia actually turn off the nordstream pipeline in the lead up to winter. Germany won't have enough in reserves to wait it out and effectively stalls their economy whilst they're all plunged into darkness with no heating. Ok I might be exaggerating a little there as I know they get energy from other sources, but nowhere near enough that wouldn't cause a devastating impact to things like manufacturing.

Soldato

I don't think anyone would believe otherwise. But most Russians have been used to living in poverty. They rarely ever indulged in goods from the west, so it's not really a big change for them.

Caporegime
Yep Russia has Europe over a barrel.

Don't pretend to know what it's like for ordinary Russians but at this rate Russia will able to buy Europe after its laden with so much debt you can buy a country for 5 dollars. Or 1'000'000 euros.

Throw in cheap gas and the population might support it!

Starting to think Russia (putin) can outlast Europe on this one.

Caporegime
Yep Russia has Europe over a barrel.

Don't pretend to know what it's like for ordinary Russians but at this rate Russia will able to buy Europe after its laden with so much debt you can buy a country for 5 dollars. Or 1'000'000 euros.

Throw in cheap gas and the population might support it!

Starting to think Russia (putin) can outlast Europe on this one.

Russia is a self sufficient country. It is amazing that anyone thinks sanctions will do anything.

Soldato
Most of europe are heavily reliant on Russian gas, where would they source it from, everywhere will be struggling. It's that reliance on outside supplies that have lead to this problem.

Oh and Shell posted a £10b profit today, £6.5b is being paid out to share holders.

Soldato
I think I'm an going to just not use the heating this year
We haven't used our heating apart from 2 days since October last year! It is only reason our Gas has dropped to about £30 a month considering it was more like £50 a month prior to all the increase. Cutting as much as can and just limiting things like TV time and that for electric means our current bill this month (was away two weeks too) is the same as before the price increase but the amount having been cut to maintain such is so high it feels like existing rather than living tbh.

Soldato
We haven't used our heating apart from 2 days since October last year! It is only reason our Gas has dropped to about £30 a month considering it was more like £50 a month prior to all the increase. Cutting as much as can and just limiting things like TV time and that for electric means our current bill this month (was away two weeks too) is the same as before the price increase but the amount having been cut to maintain such is so high it feels like existing rather than living tbh.
And that's before it goes up another 75%...
A lot of people will be praying for a mild winter, and even then it's going to be ruinous.

Back
Top Bottom