Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Same position as me.

Don't plan to stick around long enough for solar, new windows, new radiators, heat pumps etc.

Never see it back.

Im in the process of going round windows replacing seals and sealing gaps. Ive also flushed the heating system and will replace 2 rads as its relatively cheap to do. Then its time to be a militant dad and ensure no electric wastage :p i went spare at my 10yo daughter the other day, she slept all night with the fan on, but was wrapped up in a sodding blanket at the same time.

Well first friend that has decided to get an electrician round to "bypass the meter".

Just mind-blowingly stupid. If his mate is a proper electrician and does this I assume he will be struct off the professional register and face massive fines and a criminal charge and your mate will probably face criminal charges too.

Well first friend that has decided to get an electrician round to "bypass the meter".
Part of me doesn't blame them, but they are the sort of people who are going to make things worse for everybody else. They will probably take advantage of their free supply and guess who will have to fork out for it in the long run? The rest of us.

Part of me doesn't blame them, but they are the sort of people who are going to make things worse for everybody else. They will probably take advantage of their free supply and guess who will have to fork out for it in the long run? The rest of us.

I think you're going to see more people tampering with their gas as well. When this hits, desperate people do desperate things.

Just mind-blowingly stupid. If his mate is a proper electrician and does this I assume he will be struct off the professional register and face massive fines and a criminal charge and your mate will probably face criminal charges too.
Yep probably. He's awful with money and this would completely cripple him.

Show me a large company that is ethical. Its almost impossible because you are at a massive disadvantage if you have even vague morals. Smaller companies yes. Large multinationals beholden to shareholders? Not a chance.

Those are the companies doing the real damage.

I know i'm not going to convince you but my experience is the opposite
Many globals are now trying really hard to become net carbon, sustainable etc
And yet I see a lot of small businesses acting like total douches. And this seems to boil down to the same attitude you see from many individuals, i wont make any difference, the UK isnt big enough to make a difference etc etc

It's not worth the risk. The electricity companies do monitor consumption in the area and if the meter readings for all the houses don't add up to the regional consumption they know something is up. Also if you house consumption suddenly changes then they get suspicious. I mean to give you an idea of how paranoid they are, there are magnet detectors in Smart Meters. Smart Meters are not affected by magnets but they report YOU to head office for placing a magnet close to the meter! Gives the company a fair warning you are trying to fiddle the bill.

It's not worth the risk. The electricity companies do monitor consumption in the area and if the meter readings for all the houses don't add up to the regional consumption they know something is up. Also if you house consumption suddenly changes then they get suspicious. I mean to give you an idea of how paranoid they are, they are magnet detectors in Smart Meters. Smart Meters are not affected by magnets but they report YOU to head office for placing a magnet close to the meter! Gives the company a fair warning you are trying to fiddle the bill.
With the amount of people still on manual meters and only giving readings every month or even less, there is not a chance that consumption would tally.

Then you'll have the fact that within a supply area (quite large in itself) you'll have a few different suppliers who would have to sharing data.

So I'm moving in early September and apparently the new property power is supplied by Ovo, but I can't even get a quote from them at the moment because of the mess of energy pricing at the moment. How does that work? I'm just supposed to sign up without any idea of the costs?
That’s shocking. Why couldn’t they set up a DD payment of what you are paying (plus an extra £5) at the moment then adjust it accordingly in Nov?

I know i'm not going to convince you but my experience is the opposite
Many globals are now trying really hard to become net carbon, sustainable etc
And yet I see a lot of small businesses acting like total douches. And this seems to boil down to the same attitude you see from many individuals, i wont make any difference, the UK isnt big enough to make a difference etc etc

There is a reason for that and its entirely cynical. They don't care unless their customers and their investors care. Have a look at ESG and how they are trying to force companies to act in the way they want or they will essentially be cut off from investment.

If these companies cared they would pay their workers fairly, they wouldn't exploit poor countries and workers, they wouldn't try to pay as little tax as possible, they wouldn't put profits above pretty much everything else.

This idea of sustainable goes completely against the idea of capitalism as well. Capitalism relies on infinite growth. Companies are expected to grow every year. If they are not then they will have to make cutbacks to increase profits again. Usually the first port of call is to cull some minions.

Big business should be terrified of governments but they haven't been for years because they own the governments.

With the amount of people still on manual meters and only giving readings every month or even less, there is not a chance that consumption would tally.

Then you'll have the fact that within a supply area (quite large in itself) you'll have a few different suppliers who would have to sharing data.
When your historical usage is a certain amount and you start reporting a fraction of that figure it'll raise suspicions.

Back
Top Bottom