Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Take away VAT at least on all low carbon technologies, Norway do this.
Not the same conditions. The taxes on vehicles in Norway is huge. The price of a car doubles because of the taxes.

Edit: It would be like having the option to pay £50k OTR for a base spec golf vs £45k for a Model 3

Affordable ones are coming like the one Fisker are just bringing out. We do need to be a bit more proactive here. Take away VAT at least on all low carbon technologies, Norway do this.

I can only see Fiskers base model starting at £35k on their website. That's not affordable for large swathes of the population.

no one even start on the Citroen Ami as that is not legal on motorways due to speed limit.

We need a sub £20k car from new with a view to it being sub £10k at 4-5 years old, sub £5k at 8-10 years old.

I can only see Fiskers base model starting at £35k on their website. That's not affordable for large swathes of the population.

no one even start on the Citroen Ami as that is not legal on motorways due to speed limit.

We need a sub £20k car from new with a view to it being sub £10k at 4-5 years old, sub £5k at 8-10 years old.
It’s as much as a mid range VW Golf. Get an E-Golf or even a Corsa E if you want something cheaper! That’s as cheap as an ICE car these days. Factor in the running costs and it is a lot cheaper.

Government are probably trying to figure out how to plug the £28bn gap in taxes from phasing out ICE vehicles
it's doable. have you seen the prices of electric cars in China. in the UK the 2 electric MGs are the best value electric cars you can get (and that is after they put the prices up by 2K AND lost a chunk of governors change) but even those are hugely more expensive than in China where you can get a small electric car for 5k

Sub £20k new EV’s in the UK won’t happen.
The people with ~£5k car budgets just needs to wait a number of years until they drop to that price. Which is what they currently do with fuel cars, so no different.

The people with ~£5k car budgets just needs to wait a number of years until they drop to that price. Which is what they currently do with fuel cars, so no different.

won't the battery be knackered by then so it ends up being unaffordable anyway because they then need to shell out for a new one (battery) ?

won't the battery be knackered by then so it ends up being unaffordable anyway because they then need to shell out for a new one (battery) ?
The battery might be at 80% of the full range after 10 years.
Also, you don’t need to replace the whole battery - just the dead cell modules (if you want to)

Absolutely. My post about having them more affordable was in response to this:

it seems people here just want fuel to be cheaper rather than making that step over something more sustainable.

People can't make the step if they can't afford it.

I drive a 14-plate Leaf. Currently worth around £7,100 according to a recent WBAC valuation, which is amazing considering I bought it in 2017 for £7,200 (inc. a £1k finance deposit contribution) :p

Lost its first (of 12) battery health bars a few months back. So at a guess, still >80% battery health. Not bad considering it has driven almost 70k miles over the past eight and a half years.

I drive a 14-plate Leaf. Currently worth around £7,100 according to a recent WBAC valuation, which is amazing considering I bought it in 2017 for £7,200 (inc. a £1k finance deposit contribution) :p

Lost its first (of 12) battery health bars a few months back. So at a guess, still >80% battery health. Not bad considering it has driven almost 70k miles over the past eight and a half years.
That sounds great, especially as older Leaf batteries are the worst of any EV’s for longevity because they have no cooling management.

also the original leaf is a bad example as does not have temp management. all newer cars (Inc the 2018 leaf) do so expect far more battery life edit ninja'd 20 mins ago ;)

Would a cold climate help the Leaf suffer less damage then. Maybe people should put big fan next to it when charging

Can get this and 100w solar panel for £330 which seems ok and that powers a small camping fridge. Combine that with off-peak variable pricing maybe its some use but I imagine a lot more money is required for a full house of people which means might as well go the entire solar install route I guess

Last edited:
Would a cold climate help the Leaf suffer less damage then. Maybe people should put big fan next to it when charging
absolutely. iirc Australia did have a problem with early EV batteries ... in blighty it is less of an issue. my mates 2012 leaf had dropped 1 bar when he sold it q1 or q2 of last year. not too shabby for the "worst" ev.for battery issues on the market, which according to Clarkson would be fit for the bin after 3 years.
my mate also said unless you need to not to routinely charge over 80 or 90%. fully charging the battery esp the MK1 leafs (leaves?) affects the longevity more than modern ev car batteries which have a bit of redundancy built in.

bottom line ....

a modern ev battery will far outlast the car, and will likely go onto a 2nd life as house batteries or even powering streetlights charged by solar

also.... there are multiple places geared up to recycle ev batteries en masse when they do get to EOL..... the probem is...... they are lasting longer than ever expected and they don't have enough to keep them busy (this will surely change over the next 5 years)

I do wish EVs were cheaper.... I am comfortably off but can't justify the cost of an EV with the features I need for the main car. part of it is the current climate with shortages and what not inflating prices of 2nd hand.

part of it is economics of scale . they can't make them in as big a number as ice cars

part of it is reluctance because they don't have the ongoing maintanence costs of ice cars so the traditional car companies would rather sell you a petrol, diesel or "self charging" hybrid (I hate that term)
and part of it is because they spec them so damn high. yes of course I love all the gadgets but there needs to be a version which is bare bones to cut costs.

ideally someone like Dacia need to start making an EV, possibly using last gen....... would it be Zoe? parts ( I think Dacia are budget Renault arnet they? (not certain)

edit sorry got a bit carried away there ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom