Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

The top 50% and especially the top 10% of the country are currently under taxed, there definitely is room to tax more if its targeted at the right people.

Is it your preference to not have a social tariff?

A social tariff would solve a lot of issues for the government, it provides a solution that lasts until the policy is dropped, so they wont be under as much pressure to keep issuing new cost of living payments. But it also will create issues, as there will be a line drawn on who gets it, and those who fall just outside that line will feel hard done by. Given how harsh the new WHD is, it wouldnt surprise me if they use the WHD criteria for a social tariff which will leave a lot of poor people not getting on the social tariff. I dont think they will give it to the full 8 million that got the cost of living payments, as that would require a lot of subsidy.

I have no idea how far down the income bands tax would have to increase and by how much.

I feel it would be quite far.

Even us in an average house with above average income would probably shoulder the burden.

However I'd have issue with if it started really penalising you for good practice with money.

For example if it was(probably impossible) to look at disposable income we'd be hit hard. Might as well take on an increased mortgage etc to reduce it.

But overall I don't think there are enough ordinary people left to tax to plug the gap. By that I mean there are so many people needing help and not enough above to balance it out

I have no idea how far down the income bands tax would have to increase and by how much.

I feel it would be quite far.

Even us in an average house with above average income would probably shoulder the burden.

However I'd have issue with if it started really penalising you for good practice with money.

For example if it was(probably impossible) to look at disposable income we'd be hit hard. Might as well take on an increased mortgage etc to reduce it.

But overall I don't think there are enough ordinary people left to tax to plug the gap. By that I mean there are so many people needing help and not enough above to balance it out
I dont have much faith in the government to implement it right, I suspect they would add it to the SC, so everyone who isnt on the social tariff pays for it which would include many below the top 50%, the bottom 50% are currently over taxed already.

I also suspect they would use the WHD criteria (to lower the cost) which has recently been calculated to only help 32% of low income people, so there would still be masses of low income people not getting the social tariff and also facing the higher SC to pay for it.
Whichever way they go there is going to be unhappy people, and its not a decision I would want to be making.

I dont have much faith in the government to implement it right, I suspect they would add it to the SC, so everyone who isnt on the social tariff pays for it which would include many below the top 50%, the bottom 50% are currently over taxed already.

I also suspect they would use the WHD criteria (to lower the cost) which has recently been calculated to only help 32% of low income people, so there would still be masses of low income people not getting the social tariff and also facing the higher SC to pay for it.
Whichever way they go there is going to be unhappy people, and its not a decision I would want to be making.

I also suspsit would be in the SC

Anything else requires competency

That's got to be close to limit for most hybrids I'd have thought? I'm looking at moving to octopus go (have just signed up as an octopus member tonight), how do I do the friend referral, and how do you just which night tarrif you get, I have an ev, but if I can get cheap rates from 9.30 that would be great. The lass I talked to mentioned I had to join octopus before I could switch to go, but I'm keen to do that before October.

Not sure if it's credible. But seen estimates of the cap. Topping 4k in January!

What's particularly concerning is the speed of these uplifts.

It wasn't long ago these predictions were at 3.2k

Not sure if it's credible. But seen estimates of the cap. Topping 4k in January!

You know gas is much more than what people are paying ? Why the surprise ?

£3750 is what ive been seeing but i can easily believe £4000 is viable. Also as @Simon said Gas is mental currently. Anyone buying Gas futures for December is getting royally ****** at the moment as Dec 22 Gas prices are about 502p per therm or 17.13p kwh

I had to replace my boiler recently. With the crazy prices coming I’m glad I specced up the highest efficiency boiler I could get. 94%

Seriously thinking about solar panels now too.

Do it everyone that can should. Although if you work during the day mon-fri, just be aware that the majority of generation will end up being exported.

Add a battery.
If your in the UK they make as much sense as solar.
Right now with pricing going the way it is, battery on Octopus go is probably a better payback than solar.

Eg Im in the process of getting a system now. Getting 10.4kwh of storage is going to come in around £5.5k (i'm getting both so estimating the full install of that individually)
That will allow 10kwh to be stored overnight in the 7.5pence window for usage outside that window. If you didn't have solar you could do that 365 days of the year.

10kwh at 7.5p x 365 days = £273.75
10kwh at 50p (estimate Oct price cap) = £1825
Annual saving £1551.25, simple payback approx 3.5 years.

Do it everyone that can should. Although if you work during the day mon-fri, just be aware that the majority of generation will end up being exported.
I’ll get a battery to try and have some for the evening. I’ve already made some enquires. Quite a long wait time for them but I don’t think energy prices are going down anytime soon.

Is it possible to self install these battery systems?

From what I can tell, yes but

The but being above a certain amount they also need notification since they can have just the same impact as a solar system in regards sending power to the grid when its down and being worked on.
The certification is that its installed so that cannot happen.

I am sure there are people about who will do this themselves never tell anyone etc, the risk comes should something go wrong.

Personally I wouldn't, the cost of the units is a high percentage of the install cost anyway so the gain of going diy and ending up in the grey area is not worth it IMO.

You can get good pricing online for supply and install.

Back
Top Bottom