Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

So one idea being talked about is social tariffs.

Basically taxing rich to subsidise the poor.

Not sure what that looks like.
Would it be higher standing charges if your household earns over X? Sounds a nightmare to administer.

Or

Just more income tax, council tax etc etc.

Will be no one left to tax the way we're going.
Just having a look now at other countries methods.

Why do the DailyMail always need to include the value on every caption !! :rolleyes:
Also, it’s not a full Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) - it’s a Plug-in Hybrid, with about 20 miles of electric range. Probably runs it mostly on fuel.
My mate has a mini hybrid and can drive to work and back on a charge without using the engine.

Would it be higher standing charges if your household earns over X? Sounds a nightmare to administer.

Or

There'll be a point where it's just not worth some people working.

Or

The top 50% and especially the top 10% of the country are currently under taxed, there definitely is room to tax more if its targeted at the right people.

Is it your preference to not have a social tariff?

A social tariff would solve a lot of issues for the government, it provides a solution that lasts until the policy is dropped, so they wont be under as much pressure to keep issuing new cost of living payments. But it also will create issues, as there will be a line drawn on who gets it, and those who fall just outside that line will feel hard done by. Given how harsh the new WHD is, it wouldnt surprise me if they use the WHD criteria for a social tariff which will leave a lot of poor people not getting on the social tariff. I dont think they will give it to the full 8 million that got the cost of living payments, as that would require a lot of subsidy.

The top 50% and especially the top 10% of the country are currently under taxed, there definitely is room to tax more if its targeted at the right people.

Is it your preference to not have a social tariff?

A social tariff would solve a lot of issues for the government, it provides a solution that lasts until the policy is dropped, so they wont be under as much pressure to keep issuing new cost of living payments. But it also will create issues, as there will be a line drawn on who gets it, and those who fall just outside that line will feel hard done by. Given how harsh the new WHD is, it wouldnt surprise me if they use the WHD criteria for a social tariff which will leave a lot of poor people not getting on the social tariff. I dont think they will give it to the full 8 million that got the cost of living payments, as that would require a lot of subsidy.
I’m happy for others to receive it I don’t think I’m going to need it as we use relatively very little anyway. Something needs to be done and those with broader shoulders will just have to accept it.

I can tell you that social tariffs in the water sector go on everyone's bill. What then happens is those that can apply for the social tariff do so and get the discount.

I would be surprised if the social tariff 'cost' for energy is only on higher users.

Or

Define rich? Because even normally managing families are facing devastating price increases now. They can't afford to pay more to subsidise others.

Surely it should be based on disposable income after all bills are paid. Some will still have much more than others.
That would be great. Get a fancy car on a lease deal, nice phone on a monthly contract, Sky, Netflix, etc. Got no disposable income left after all those bill but it's fine, someone else can pay my energy bills.

That would be great. Get a fancy car on a lease deal, nice phone on a monthly contract, Sky, Netflix, etc. Got no disposable income left after all those bill but it's fine, someone else can pay my energy bills.
I think you misunderstood it for those that have excess left over after bills are paid. Bills would likely include energy. Your never going to please everyone but that’s life some people will just have suck it up and some will have to learn to stop being so selfish perhaps.

this. Its dead easy to spend all your disposable income whether you are on £30k or £150k.

Or

How would that even work?

A private company, not owned by the state, has 0 business knowing what tax bracket I'm in let alone what I actually earn, unless I elect to inform them obviously.

I think you misunderstood it for those that have excess left over after bills are paid. Bills would likely include energy. Your never going to please everyone but that’s life some people will just have suck it up and some will have to learn to stop being so selfish perhaps.

My point is that it's easy to reduce disposable income. Pretty much everything we buy these days can be paid for in some sort of monthly subscription/credit type agreement. Once you've bought everything you want like that you can just reduce your mortgage term to a level where you have very little disposable income. The people who would be impacted the most under your proposal is those who are trying to save for something - especially a deposit for a house.

My point is that it's easy to reduce disposable income. Pretty much everything we buy these days can be paid for in some sort of monthly subscription/credit type agreement. Once you've bought everything you want like that you can just reduce your mortgage term to a level where you have very little disposable income. The people who would be impacted the most under your proposal is those who are trying to save for something - especially a deposit for a house.
Or maybe those that still have disposable income after purposely trying to max out means of avoidance. Aka the rich.

Back
Top Bottom