Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I'd take that probably, who is that with and what is the tariff called?

I'd like a cheap overnight rate for when I get my solar installed, especially for charging battery on cheaper rates.
Octopus Go Faster (5H from 2130) July 2022 v1 tariff

They have even better deals if you have solar and a battery. If you get a Tesla Powerwall battery Octopus offer you 24.01p import and 24.01p export rates.

Their full list of tariffs are here

I went for 5 hours from 9.30pm as we are late going to bed and we can put more things on like the tumble drier/washing machine during that period but you can get a 4 hour period for 7.5p instead of 8.25p. I can set my car to charge up between those hours are well and need more than 4 hours sometimes to fully charge it.

Octopus Go Faster (5H from 2130) July 2022 v1 tariff

They have even better deals if you have solar and a battery. If you get a Tesla Powerwall battery Octopus offer you 24.01p import and 24.01p export rates.

Their full list of tariffs are here

I went for 5 hours from 9.30pm as we are late going to bed and we can put more things on like the tumble drier/washing machine during that period but you can get a 4 hour period for 7.5p instead of 8.25p. I can set my car to charge up between those hours are well and need more than 4 hours sometimes to fully charge it.

Did they ask you if you have an Ev or anything?
Some people saying yes they did and being asked for proof and others no they just said ok

Did they ask you if you have an Ev or anything?
Some people saying yes they did and being asked for proof and others no they just said ok

I do have a hybrid so didnt bother me. They ask for the make and model during signing up but havent asked for proof.

There is the normal go tariff anyway with 7.5p between 12.30 and 4.30am and you dont need an EV for that one. Just the Go faster tariff requires a hybrid or EV AFAIK. When i signed up to the Go tariff I didnt have a hybrid.

I do have a hybrid so didnt bother me. They ask for the make and model during signing up but havent asked for proof.

There is the normal go tariff anyway with 7.5p between 12.30 and 4.30am and you dont need an EV for that one. Just the Go faster tariff requires a hybrid or EV AFAIK. When i signed up to the Go tariff I didnt have a hybrid.

We do have a hybrid, its just its a company one so proving say V5 would be tricky.
I have been debating moving to this and I am also likely to be solared up end of this year with a decent battery to be able to charge.

Think I might bite the bullet and give them a bell next week

I spoke to Octopus you can only get the Go tariff (or Go Faster) if you have an EV.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior chap seemed to think Hybrid counted, I asked for you :)

He said you need to prove vehicle ownership, which if it's a company car you may not be able to do, it would be from the V5C cert most likely.

Side query to myself, is it worth getting a cheapish EV on a PCP or similar or rental? if they don't check each renewal, you don't need to keep it forever. Might pay back itself and give you an EV to scoot about in.

I did feed back they should also allow it for people with verified solar/battery installs! doesn't really make sense not to!

Last edited:

We do have a hybrid, its just its a company one so proving say V5 would be tricky.
I have been debating moving to this and I am also likely to be solared up end of this year with a decent battery to be able to charge.

Think I might bite the bullet and give them a bell next week
I spoke to Octopus you can only get the Go tariff (or Go Faster) if you have an EV.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior chap seemed to think Hybrid counted, I asked for you :)

He said you need to prove vehicle ownership, which if it's a company car you may not be able to do, it would be from the V5C cert most likely.

Side query to myself, is it worth getting a cheapish EV on a PCP or similar or rental? if they don't check each renewal, you don't need to keep it forever. Might pay back itself and give you an EV to scoot about in.

Not sure they ever go as far as asking for a V5 and their terms and conditions specifically mentioned lease vehicles. I have never been asked to prove I own an EV/hybrid but presume they can tell i do from my usage anyway???? And mine is leased through work as well.

Our Octopus Go Tariff is designed for customers who either own or long-term lease a battery electric vehicle or a plug-in hybrid vehicle that they'll be charging at home, so you need one to join. If you're in the process of getting one and have an order number to hand, we can switch you so that you're ready to charge once your vehicle arrives.

I cant remember when I first moved to Octopus Go whether I had to give them an order number (pretty sure I didnt) but it was another 16 months before I got my hybrid delivered anyway and it was a different make and model to one I ordered originally.

So they seem quite lapse on this kind of stuff.

Will miss my 14.5p daytime/7.5p nightime rates though :(

Last edited:
I think they're becoming more stringent at checking, especially for new customers.

You may be OK as an existing one though!

If you possess an EV then maybe worth trying anyway, worst they can do is say no and probably put you onto the cap tariff.

If anybody does go with octopus make sure you ask around friends and family for a referral code/link. You both get £50 credited to your account so well worth it :)

I can only switch to Agile with them at the moment. It's 55p/kwh cap rate so at the worst case I'd be paying that on it, vs more like 42p/kwh on the October cap rate.

On the other hand, there could be times of day when it's less than 55p, and I don't know if the battery is smart enough to be able to tell when it's super cheap so I could charge solar from it at a cheaper time of day to lock in some of the cheaper rates.

Agile pays the best on export from solar as well afaik, or at least it pays more like market rates.

A lot of suppliers arent allowing customers to switch to them but i dont know of Octpous are one of these. Those that are allowing people to switch often wont offer the same deals to new customer as they would existing ones due to the risks at the moment

Although octopus's website say customers are likely to get a better rate from their current supplier, they are accepting new customers. No idea whether that is at different rates to existing customers though.

EDIt: Just seen Hungry Hippos post above. Assuming you have an EV or hybrid then switching to octopus to one of their Go fixed tariffs would make sense.

Back
Top Bottom