Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've got 2 tropical tanks, one with a 500w and the other with a 150w heaters. Though putting a lid on reduces the time the heater is on by a lot.

I've got four "tropical" tanks on the go these days, used to be six. Only the tank in the poorly insulated garage had a heater running typically Nov-Apr at 20C, all the indoor tanks were and still are heaterless unless their water drops under 18C in a bitter cold spell.

I'm talking various African species (Butterfly Fish, Leopard Bushfish, various Synodontis, Distichodus, Pareutropius etc.) plus Dwarf Chain Loaches, L204 plec and a Rubbernose Plec.

A lot of these fish have been with me for close to 12 years and this is how I've always run my tanks, their water temp changes with the seaons, typically ~20C in winter to ~29C in crazy summer heatwaves.

I've got four "tropical" tanks on the go these days, used to be six. Only the tank in the poorly insulated garage had a heater running typically Nov-Apr at 20C, all the indoor tanks were and still are heaterless unless their water drops under 18C in a bitter cold spell.

I'm talking various African species (Butterfly Fish, Leopard Bushfish, various Synodontis, Distichodus, Pareutropius etc.) plus Dwarf Chain Loaches, L204 plec and a Rubbernose Plec.

A lot of these fish have been with me for close to 12 years and this is how I've always run my tanks, their water temp changes with the seaons, typically ~20C in winter to ~29C in crazy summer heatwaves.

Yep you can do that as long as it stays consistent. My smaller tank just has mostly gupplies and cherry shrimp in it. I can probably turn that right down.

I ditched the canister on my main tank as well. That saved some running costs (and maintenance).

People iron or otherwise demand uncreased bed clothes? Lol.. Really?

Any creases will be gone after one night of use anyway... Talk about waste of time and energy!

Reminds me when I went to my sisters once, she was in the living room ironing while the kids were running riot. Asked what she was ironing. She said socks and undies. WHY.....JUST WHY....... left the house and joined the kids that's too much serious for me!

I used to wear a 3 piece suit to work in my 20s, simply because I only had to iron a small part of my shirt, saving time and money, after a heavy night out, which was most nights.

I just give up now.

I've applied to Eon Energy Fund to get help with my arrears that have been building up due to the extremely high DD just being impossible to afford.
Everything was done correctly, they confirmed all the documents were received to the letter and it met all the requirements.
We then got a decline letter saying we did not provide our financial advice documentation.

I got in contact with them and they said they never received it. We told them it was part of the documents we sent them initially which they INDIVIDUALLY confirmed as received. They advised that we would need to resend this information in order for them to have the decision makers look at it again and apologised as they could see they did confirm its previous receipt.

So we did this AGAIN but this time we double and triple checked they had the financial paperwork, it was rejected AGAIN, why? For the same reason "we did not send our proof of financial advice".

We are going to call them again tomorrow but what the **** else can I do? We applied for this way back in the beginning of the year when there was plenty of spaces available to apply. They have messed up so many times now that we are in a position where we might not get any help at all.

There is no where to push back about this or complain due to how they are structured, how do they receive documentation and confirm specifically the part they said was not received twice. We have nothing else we can do calling Eon proper itself doesn't help as they direct us back to the energy fund as its """SEPERATE".

I can't afford it, I can't cut anything else I literally exist to work right now and eat basics, have a small flat low rent (amazing landlord). I couldn't afford any of the fixes a few months ago and I certainly cant now. I can't magic the money from anywhere, I'm just alone in this with no way out.

What else am I supposed to do? Not eat to pay the energy bills? Not pay rent and be made homeless rendering the energy bills pointless? I can't cut from anywhere. I just can't deal with it anymore its to much.

the mrs is doing my head in having the full leccy cooker running to cook three sausages. She doesn't care as she doesnt have to pay the bills. What sensible options are there as an alternative? Lean green grilling machine? Most of our appliances are pretty old too, is getting a new washing machine\dishwasher a viable way of reducing total energy use or is it a huge folly?
New Mrs

I just give up now.

I've applied to Eon Energy Fund to get help with my arrears that have been building up due to the extremely high DD just being impossible to afford.
Everything was done correctly, they confirmed all the documents were received to the letter and it met all the requirements.
We then got a decline letter saying we did not provide our financial advice documentation.

I got in contact with them and they said they never received it. We told them it was part of the documents we sent them initially which they INDIVIDUALLY confirmed as received. They advised that we would need to resend this information in order for them to have the decision makers look at it again and apologised as they could see they did confirm its previous receipt.

So we did this AGAIN but this time we double and triple checked they had the financial paperwork, it was rejected AGAIN, why? For the same reason "we did not send our proof of financial advice".

We are going to call them again tomorrow but what the **** else can I do? We applied for this way back in the beginning of the year when there was plenty of spaces available to apply. They have messed up so many times now that we are in a position where we might not get any help at all.

There is no where to push back about this or complain due to how they are structured, how do they receive documentation and confirm specifically the part they said was not received twice. We have nothing else we can do calling Eon proper itself doesn't help as they direct us back to the energy fund as its """SEPERATE".

I can't afford it, I can't cut anything else I literally exist to work right now and eat basics, have a small flat low rent (amazing landlord). I couldn't afford any of the fixes a few months ago and I certainly cant now. I can't magic the money from anywhere, I'm just alone in this with no way out.

What else am I supposed to do? Not eat to pay the energy bills? Not pay rent and be made homeless rendering the energy bills pointless? I can't cut from anywhere. I just can't deal with it anymore its to much.
Cant promise anything as i have literally no interaction with the Energy Fund but i'll put some feelers out tomorrow for you and see if i can at least point you in the direction of someone to help. Also is it the old EON energy fund you applied for or the EonNext Energy fund? I believe they are seperate as the whole business is transitioning from Eon to EonNext. Links to both below if its helpful for anyone but i would advise using the EonNext one if anyone is thinking of making an application

Old one: https://www.eonenergyfund.com/
New one: https://www.eonnextenergyfund.com/

Last edited:
On topic of my above reply. Lifted this from the citizens advice website and might prove useful for some. Full link here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...d-benefits-to-help-you-pay-your-energy-bills/ but summary below

Grants to help pay off your energy debts​

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.

The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:

If you can’t get a grant from your supplier, you might be able to get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust. These grants are available to anyone - you don’t have to be a British Gas customer. You’ll need to get debt advice before applying - get help from a debt adviser.

If you've already spoken to a debt adviser - check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust.

Before you apply​

When you apply for a grant, you'll have to provide detailed information about your financial situation in your application. It could take a while to complete, and it might be worth getting help from a friend or family member. You can also talk to an adviser for help filling in forms.

It’s worth checking on the trust or fund website if there’s anything else you need to do before you apply.

For example, if your supplier is E.ON, E.ON Next or EDF you’ll need to show you’ve completed a budget sheet with a Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) approved adviser. To do this:

1. Find an adviser using the debt advice locator on the Money Helper website
  2. Check if the adviser or their firm is on the FCA register
  3. Contact the adviser to arrange a conversation where you’ll complete a budget sheet
You can get ready for your conversation by using the Budget Planner on the Money Helper website.

Cant promise anything as i have literally no interaction with the Energy Fund but i'll put some feelers out tomorrow for you and see if i can at least point you in the direction of someone to help. Also is it the old EON energy fund you applied for or the EonNext Energy fund? I believe they are seperate as the whole business is transitioning from Eon to EonNext. Links to both below if its helpful for anyone but i would advise using the EonNext one if anyone is thinking of making an application

Old one: https://www.eonenergyfund.com/
New one: https://www.eonnextenergyfund.com/
Its Eon Next, specifically. I'm hoping when we give them a ring in the morning they can advise us on what exactly it is we can do going forward. We need clarification on why they are saying they have not received x information. It may be another mistake which can be corrected without much stress but it just seems that somewhere down the line the people who make decisions on the applications are not seeing the relevant documentation despite them confirming its receipt on multiple occasions and declining it. We have proof of receipt from them multiple times too.

Also thank you for the following information in your second post. We have done all the necessary steps including providing the budgeting information/advise which was done through proper channels, this included any medical documentation from our GP.
Its so incredibly stressful for me, I've not missed a beat on doing all of this and I'm struggling to figure out what else I could have done. Dotted all my I's etc etc.

It seems maybe British Gas Energy support fund is the only other option if I cant resolve the issue with Eon Next, which is just.. mind boggling to me as above i've not missed anything.

The last few years I made great progress in my life and have just had it wiped out year after year, its like climbing a ladder that goes to nowhere, I feel hopeless. I'm just not even living anymore.

Thanks again @Zenduri if you can find another direction we can go down to get some more insight/help it would be amazing and I really appreciate you taking the time to do that. The contacts we have at the moment appear helpful but it just seems the same mistakes are being made unfortunately and I don't want to blame the people I speak to because it could be any number of reasons why this is happening.

Last edited:
Its Eon Next, specifically. I'm hoping when we give them a ring in the morning they can advise us on what exactly it is we can do going forward. We need clarification on why they are saying they have not received x information. It may be another mistake which can be corrected without much stress but it just seems they say they received it and somewhere down the line the people who make decisions on the applications dont get it.

Also thank you for the following information in your second post. We have done all the necessary steps including providing the budgeting information etc and medical documentation that was requested.

It seems maybe British Gas Energy support fund is the only other option if I cant solve the issue with Eon Next.

Its so incredibly stressful for me, I've not missed a beat on doing all of this and I'm struggling to figure out what else I could have done. Dotted all my I's etc etc.

The last few years I made great progress in my life and have just had it wiped out year after year, its like climbing a ladder that goes to nowhere, I feel hopeless. I'm just not even living anymore.
No worries :) If there is anything i can help with i will try! The fund is managed by Charis Let’s Talk so im not sure if the emails etc and assessment are done internally or by them. DM me the email address you have been sending stuff to and Tag me to let me know how you get on when you call. I believe there is nothing stopping you from applying to both the EonNext one and the British Gas general one at the same time.

Edit: Dont give up though mate. It's great that you've been making progress with your life however this whole scenario with energy is something way out of your control and there are a lot of people getting hit hard by this so please dont look at this as a step back but instead look at it as a hell of a bump in the road a lot of people are hitting but importantly you've come this far and you will come out the other side but it may be rough in the meantime. I've seen some pretty hard and dismal times myself over the years and thats no understatement, but there is always a way to move forward! Talk it out with friends and family, it helps to get perspective and putitng things in context

Last edited:
No worries :) If there is anything i can help with i will try! The fund is managed by Charis Let’s Talk so im not sure if the emails etc and assessment are done internally or by them. DM me the email address you have been sending stuff to and Tag me to let me know how you get on when you call. I believe there is nothing stopping you from applying to both the EonNext one and the British Gas general one at the same time.
I'll DM you the email address in the morning and tag you once i've spoken to them.

Yeah I think I will start on the application with British Gas aswell, I have all the paperwork on hand so It shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you again, I hope I don't come across as whiney to anyone.

I'll DM you the email address in the morning and tag you once i've spoken to them.

Yeah I think I will start on the application with British Gas aswell, I have all the paperwork on hand so It shouldn't be too difficult.

Thank you again, I hope I don't come across as whiney to anyone.
Not at all whiney mate, everyone needs a bit of help from time to time. I'm idling on OCUK most of the day (on my PC not work laptop) while working so i'll respond pretty quickly normally.

The amount of friends, family and acquaintances that i've had conversations with about energy, the energy market, prices and fixing prices is beyond count now and its a daily occurance however it's a conversation worth engaging in due to the effects it's having on people both financially and mentally. Some of the stories I hear at work, from people who are customer facing, about the calls they are taking and the conversation they are having with customer is heartbreaking.

Back
Top Bottom