Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Its demoralising, I'm just trying to make some progress somewhere in my life and its just being hoovered up at every step. Its depressing, I will earn more in future but nothing that helps in the short term. I just feel so hopeless as I imagine so many others do.
Tried to send you a DM re the Energy Fund but you dont have conversations enabled. I may have a point of a contact with someone directly

Sounds worse than it is, only about 50-60 per household.

But its going to balloon in next 6 months
Not necessarily. What percentage have no debt at all? Meaning those that do have debt will likely be more than £50-60. We are not even in winter yet so that figure will likely quadruple at least.

currently down to my last £25 on my meter from when i stuck £250 on it just before april, ill try and make it last till the end of this month then when i next top up ill have to feel the wrath of the price increase, ive already started working on my overtime at work so i can max my pre payment meter up before the october charges come in. right now for me unlimited overtime is on at work so i can earn what i want pretty much. i know others are on set incomes with would worry me i think

maybe itll stop people putting christmas lights up at the beggining of november .

im still amazed at how going from an old boiler + tank water system to an eco combi is saving me so much is gas, i think my gas bill is at least 40% cheaper than it was

Not necessarily. What percentage have no debt at all? Meaning those that do have debt will likely be more than £50-60. We are not even in winter yet so that figure will likely quadruple at least.

Of course. Its an average. I expect its made up of a few with large debts. But it's not much in grand scheme.

Crank that up to 100bln and its a different story

No smart meter unfortunately, We were on estimates for a while previously but have started giving readings every month. We were apparently underpaying for a while last year so built up some arrears which are factored into the current direct debit they have been suggesting. I am over simplifying this as this was its own issue at the time after we were switched over to Eon and there was some miscommunication.

We have a tank which I believe is immersion, will double check sometimes I get these things crossed in my head. We have heaters around the house I think they are storage? They are electric. We do not use them however and have not turned them on at all so far this year, our flat is relatively well insulated for the most part and pretty cool during the summer so no need for AC and the like(Ground floor no direct sunlight).

We typically only use the heating during the winter minimally and I will be making some changes around the flat around windows and doors to minimise that usage this year.

In terms of our other bills though just for clarification, outside of 2 sim only contracts/home broadband/water/food/tv license/Car insurance/fuel(Low usage as work right next to where I live)/rent(low compared to anywhere in my city as my landlord is a godsend) we don't have much else. I have almost no debt just one loan payment a month with less than £600 remaining. We own our car/phones everything outright otherwise.

In terms of what we have in the house, I have one computer in the house (quite old now not spent money on this hobby of mine in years), one tv(almost never used). Mum has a tablet/phone. We only have an oven/hob/washing machine/fridge/toaster nothing fancy. No pets no miscellaneous products.

I wish we had a more efficient boiler/tank or something I'm sure that would be significant as I know immersion/storage are costly.

Also no offence taken, I hope the above helps there honestly isn't much I've missed out, its just been a chain of unfortunate events that have lead us into this situation.
It sounds as though you're quite aware of your usage and what you can do to help yourself. After reading your post, I'm not really sure what I can say to help to be quite honest, because it does look as though you've got things covered. About the only thing I can suggest is to buy some thick throws for autumn and winter and avoid using those storage heaters.

Grim. And it's not even winter yet.
The energy companies are going to have absorb some debt for a year or two, until the prices come down - but when the prices do come down, some direct debits won't change for a while until their debit is paid back to the supplier.

To be fair, the guy is more than willing to allow a vast swathe of his customer base to commit fraud by claiming to have an EV to get on the "cheap offpeak rates" package and charge their battery storage on their house, so it shouldn't really be much of a surprise that he seems full of BS.

Does it count as fraud if it's against you and you're aware of it and allowing people to do it? :confused:

Just been offered 37.12p/kwh for a power purchase agreement starting next April, which is frankly unbelievable.
That’s incredible. I’m getting a quote for solar and battery storage soon. I’m having it setup so that it will keep the house powered if the grid goes down. At those rates I’ll be sending any spare energy to the grid!

currently down to my last £25 on my meter from when i stuck £250 on it just before april, ill try and make it last till the end of this month then when i next top up ill have to feel the wrath of the price increase, ive already started working on my overtime at work so i can max my pre payment meter up before the october charges come in. right now for me unlimited overtime is on at work so i can earn what i want pretty much. i know others are on set incomes with would worry me i think

maybe itll stop people putting christmas lights up at the beggining of november .

im still amazed at how going from an old boiler + tank water system to an eco combi is saving me so much is gas, i think my gas bill is at least 40% cheaper than it was

Out of interest - are you on the old key meter or a smart meter?

That’s incredible. I’m getting a quote for solar and battery storage soon. I’m having it setup so that it will keep the house powered if the grid goes down. At those rates I’ll be sending any spare energy to the grid!
Not sure what private will be, this is commercial. I think generally you have to be selling over 250,000 kwh to access commercial rates.
What it does show is that it really is going to get a lot, lot worse.

10 Aug 2022 Greg Jackson, CEO of Octopus Energy, talks to Today business presenter Sean Farrington

load of BS from this guy, on one hand demanding more government support (to avoid them having difficulty collecting monies)

on the other ... when the svp is announced we THEN buy the energy ahead for our customers at that price .. like, it's a self fulfillng prophecy,
and they couldn't buy it further in advance at a lower (locked in) price and then provide it to customers at that lower rate.
The guy can't be that stupid, but only answers the questions that are put to him

Two points on this
  1. Why would they purchase more energy than they need for their current customers? Also, If they did buy more, expecting an influx of new customers & didn't get those, and the energy price dropped, who picks up the bill for all that surplus energy they hold, at higher prices !! (Ofgem are completely against this practice for exactly this reason)
  2. If they bought energy now for Winter 23/24 (1.5 years ahead), the price is still crazy high - about 400p Therm.

Last edited:
Not sure what private will be, this is commercial. I think generally you have to be selling over 250,000 kwh to access commercial rates.
What it does show is that it really is going to get a lot, lot worse.
That makes sense. It’s in the 20s at the moment for private I believe. It will likely be a bit higher next year.

Two points on this
  1. Why would they purchase more energy than they need for their current customers? Also, If they did buy more, expecting an influx of new customers & didn't get those, and the energy price dropped, who picks up the bill for all for that surplus energy they hold, at higher prices !! (Ofgem are completely against this practice for exactly this reason)
  2. If they bought energy now for Winter 23/24 (1.5 years ahead), the price is still crazy high - about 400p Therm.

Its amazing isn't it. When you apply logic and real world to something, it sounds really boring and sensible
Enough of that, get back to using emotion and reaction only!

Back
Top Bottom