Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
@Bug One , you sure you're not looking at the business rates, domestic is way cheaper that that on Octopus
Yes. That's not my current tariff. I'm currently on...

Flexible Avro​

Unit rates​

Electricity (day): 31.97p per kWh
Electricity (night): 21.34p per kWh
Gas: 7.32p per kWh

Standing charges​

Electricity: 41.49p per day
Gas: 27.22p per day

But, if I look at changing my Tariff, that's what it shows.

Soldato
Wow, cheapest fixed rate on Octopus is now:

Elec:
SC: 47.86p/day
Unit Rate: 68.25p / Kwh

Gas:
SC: 27.22p/day
Unit Rate: 18.89p / kWh

Absolutely mental :(

Soldato
I was browsing the financials from the ISP I use (Zen) and Oct 2020 > Sep 2021 their calculated energy use was 11 and a half million kWh. That's going to put a big old dent in any profits if they get hit with the price increases also.

I know a friend who owns/runs several Pizza shops, I very much doubt he will still be doing that this time next year.

Soldato
Your new quote
£8,198.94
Based on the latest industry estimate of your energy use. Regular readings make this more accurate.

Tariff cost breakdown
⚡ Electricity
Daily standing charge Question mark icon 41.49p /day
Unit rate (day) Question mark icon 75.01p /kWh
Unit rate (night) Question mark icon 50.04p /kWh
Early exit fee £0
Gas
Daily standing charge Question mark icon 27.22p /day
Unit rate Question mark icon 19.65p /kWh
Early exit fee £0

That's the fix tariff though right?

Just go onto the October SVR rate, which is about 50p elec and 15p gas (but will go up again in January and April)

Will be interesting to see what 24 / 7 businesses do - is it worth keeping shops / McDonalds etc open overnight and if not what happens to those jobs...

This I expect to be stage 1. Many haven't fully reopened post COVID, I suspect they looked at the numbers and realised the marginal gains were low or non existent.
Plus its far easier to restock, work on upgrades etc in closed shops that ones that have a few of the public milling around at 1am.

I think a lot of places like restaurants are going to get rinsed. Many historically opened long hours, the variable costs of significance being staff and ingredients.
Ingredients losses were actually improved with longer opening hours since you should get more custom, and staff could be minimum outside busy times.
Now its going to cost a lot to have the business open, with all the lights on, and heated, with the hope that a few people will wander in.

I expect we will see slightly less of the bonkers doors wide open in the middle of winter (when heated) and summer (when AC'd) than we used to.

Soldato
best ovo fix at present is

• Electricity​

Unit rate:
    60.09p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    54.10p/day

Gas​

Unit rate:
    16.83p/kWh
    Standing charge:
    27.52p/day

Soldato
Is this any good from EON? Just dont like playing over the odds from now to October..

ElectricityGas
Daily standing charge44.75p27.22p
Unit rate52.39p per kWh13.27p per kWh

Associate
SEG is about 4p kWh.
FIT payments are higher but ended for new customers in April 2019

It's total BS that domestic customers aren't paid the fair value for solar export. I don't see why they can't form a local association & sell it back at market rate on a commercial basis if that's what it takes.
I'm on a FIT from ~2017 which isn't brilliant (Works out at something like 8p/KWh of all generated). In light of current prices I looked up ditching the FIT scheme & going to SEG & couldn't believe the rates are still so low.

Might setup a neighbourhood laundrette in the garage.

Caporegime
An end to dirt cheap takeaway junk food wouldn't be a bad thing in my eyes.

Probably one of the blessings in disguise for me.
My only real "waste" of money was takeaways. But they are so expensive now and quality has suffered last few months I now no longer get them.

Probably saved me 50 a month

Commissario
Cant we burn coal for a couple of years or scrap the green levy just for a bit a lot of people won't be able to afford a 4 grand energy bill.
I don't think we've got many coal fired power stations left, they were being phased out/shut down long before the green levy because they were old, dirty to run (not just emissions but the handling/storage of the coal), relatively expensive compared to gas and higher maintenance. Coal power is probably the easiest electricity to produce, but it's very labour intensive/requires a lot of infrastructure to maintain as you can't just pump the fuel in, so you need large amounts of space on site and constant incoming material by road/rail/ship.

Associate
Just renewed today on the "Go" tariff, change to the new tariff on 24th September....

Going from 5p night/15p day to 7.5p night/43p day rates, Standing charge up from 25p to 47p.
At leased I'll be locked in to a reasonable deal from what is available to 24/9/23 and my second year on the GO tariff.

Back
Top Bottom