Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Green levies and VAT could shave about £500 off a bill then come January. Not quite insignificant any more. VAT in particular is scandalous IMO. Should never be on energy bills.

Green levies and VAT could shave about £500 off a bill then come January. Not quite insignificant any more.

Thats very much my thinking right now.
Suspend both of them, say for 12 months initially, and it will make a noticeable impact.
The VAT impact to the government would have been budgeted at a much lower level anyway, so sticking with that is simply the government profiting off the back of the high bills.

Soldato
Can't be much different to my local power plant. Literally mountains of wood being burned. I'm told it's 'green' but really seems to defy all logic.

The burning of wood is considered to be carbon neutral as it does not release more CO2 into the atmosphere than if the wood were to decompose naturally, although this CO2 is released in a very short space of time.
It seems it's just convenient to ignore all the other emissions burning wood gives off and just focus on CO2 to say it's "green" that doesn't include the fact you have to cut the tree down to get the wood, otherwise the tree would live for years not decomposing because it's still alive

Soldato
Is this any good from EON? Just dont like playing over the odds from now to October..

ElectricityGas
Daily standing charge44.75p27.22p
Unit rate52.39p per kWh13.27p per kWh
Just to answer my own question I saw online that EON will forward date the start of the tariff to 1st Oct if you ring them so with no exit fee have nothing to lose by signing up now..

Soldato
The people coming off a 12+ month fix in January are going to get a shock.
Going from rates : elec 12-14p to 50p+ and gas from 4-5p to 17p+ a unit will hurt, plus the SC‘s doubling.

Soldato
Might have been France.

Spain:
energy-saving measures focused on public buildings, transport hubs, cultural spaces, hotels, shops, department stores and other commercial spaces.

requirement for window lighting to be turned off by 10pm, If they are open past this time, the lights can stay on.
The restriction does not apply to illuminated monuments, signs or billboards.
“The new measures will apply to buildings. The rules do not apply to exterior lighting, either street lighting”

Air conditioning to be set at a minimum of 27C in summer and the heat a maximum of 19C in winter.

bars and restaurants would not be required to set the aircon at 27C exactly.

“If a different temperature is set, but it is justified, it will be allowed,”

Other places such as nightclubs, gyms, hospitals, trains, and buses will also not need to set the temperature to a minimum of 27C in summer and the heat to a maximum of 19C in winter. They are to be given slightly more flexibility.

Establishments that will have to abide by the strict temperature limit, however, will include supermarkets, transport hubs such as airports and train stations, shopping malls, public administration buildings and cultural venues.

Man of Honour
The people coming off a 12+ month fix in January are going to get a shock.
Going from rates : elec 12-14p to 50p+ and gas from 4-5p to 17p+ a unit will hurt, plus the SC‘s doubling.

atm i'm fixed at 17.4p elec and 2.95p gas with SC of ~25p for each until the end of Feb next year, the heating will be off from the 1st of March onwards :(

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

France:

The French government is set to force all air-conditioned shops to close their doors and switch off illuminated advertising overnight, in a bid to cut energy use.
Businesses which break the ban, due to come into force in the next few days when Pannier-Runacher issues new decrees, will face a €750 fine.

Soldato
If the suspected proposal of dropping green levies and VAT, surely it is best to hold off on any sort of fixed deals?

My current fixed ends on 6 October with Eon:Next. Who knows what to do, aside from de-mothing the long johns.

Caporegime
I wonder how many people can cope with turning the heating off?
There will be many who simply can't.

At least they can't disconnect you in winter? I think I read that

Caporegime
If the suspected proposal of dropping green levies and VAT, surely it is best to hold off any sort of fixed deal?

My current fixed ends on 6 October with Eon:Next. Who knows what to do, aside from de-mothing the long johns.

Its a fair point. Many of the potential solutions may not affect a fix.

But I think VAT would?

Back
Top Bottom