Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I doubt there will be domestic blackouts. Don't they usually shut down energy intensive industry first.

Plus, I don't see why the UK would have any kind of supply issues. It's just that the price is going to be rocketing due to the increased European demand.

Associate
Feels like as a world we're going back decades, to a time when people just worked for a roof over their head and food.
Going to be a real shock for a generation that has known nothing but the way things have been their whole lives.

How are the snow flakes going cope when they can't charge their iphone

Soldato
gas : cornwall comment i read
There have also been warnings that the UK is preparing gas interconnector emergency measures. These are only likely to be needed in emergencies where exports could result in a depressurisation of the gas transmission system,

Jan and Feb 23 futures are hitting their all time highs too today.
as the time approaches the limited supply has been bought up, so traders fighting for the scraps, can you see the estimated volume still available for sale -
but I suppose with the 3month ofgen billing change the uk supplier sold their options and re-purchased at the higher rate that ofcom cap permits.
.. is Russia still using the turbines broken excuse.

I doubt there will be domestic blackouts. Don't they usually shut down energy intensive industry first.

Plus, I don't see why the UK would have any kind of supply issues. It's just that the price is going to be rocketing due to the increased European demand.

There should be plenty of supply when the majority are trying to avoid using any electric/gas!

Soldato
They'll come from commercial plantations - more will be planted to replace those cut down. We have a wood-burning stove - it's an lot closer to carbon neutral than any fossil-fuel heating.
It's fair enough if you only concentrate on CO2 but it's not green like for instance wind, water, hydrothermal or even nuclear is

Soldato
Soldato
I'm quite glad we didn't go through with our plan of getting rid of the gas cooker. At least we could cook and boil water. Lights we can deal with, plenty of lamps and torches.
Heating would be a problem. Guns are to hand ;)
Britain 2022, can't even believe this is a topic of discussion. :(
Its not Britain is it. Its Europe as a whole facing blackouts.

Soldato
It's fair enough if you only concentrate on CO2 but it's not green like for instance wind, water, hydrothermal or even nuclear is
Yer, the concept of the site was to use locally sourced wood - although I'm not sure where all this wood is coming from locally - Kent is mostly fields and farmland.

However it was found a couple of years ago the wood was being transported in to power the plant via ship. Although it looks like that news report can no longer be found.

Soldato
I got a generator from Aldi, £150, only puts out 600-700w but it's enough to run all the homeworking equipment but the Mrs and myself, including screens, internet router modem etc as it's all relatively low draw.

Then will run a htpc/TV and some lights in the evening.

I got a gas BBQ, camping stove etc to cook on.

We have a hot water tank and solar (which frustratingly doesn't work during a power cut unless you have a really fancy system) but can store hot water. Combi boilers will not work during a blackout.

20ltr metal Jerry can full.

Safe full of guns lol.
No power in your area means no Internet anyway so wouldn't worry about that.

For most remote jobs, no Internet means no work.

Soldato
I'm quite glad we didn't go through with our plan of getting rid of the gas cooker. At least we could cook and boil water. Lights we can deal with, plenty of lamps and torches.
Heating would be a problem. Guns are to hand ;)
Britain 2022, can't even believe this is a topic of discussion. :(

Gas cookers still use electricity for the ignition don't they? :p

You'd have to get the matches out, think you could try get away with it then if careful :D

Caporegime
Gas cookers still use electricity for the ignition don't they? :p

You'd have to get the matches out, think you could try get away with it then if careful :D

Its fine. Lighting gas cookers with a flame is no problem.

Glad of our rangemaster if do get black outs.

Got my chickens for eggs. And gas hob to cook them. Winner.

Certainly useful to have. I use them when camping, but it's good to know they are in the shed if needed.

Yeah, I may even be tempted to use at the allotment when its cold, ive got a nice large greenhouse (twin wall) so open a window a bit and I am sure it would warm up nicely, and have abrew at the same time

We do have a small "kitchen" but its minging as you would expect so I dont use it

Back
Top Bottom