Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Yeah, I may even be tempted to use at the allotment when its cold, ive got a nice large greenhouse (twin wall) so open a window a bit and I am sure it would warm up nicely, and have abrew at the same time

We do have a small "kitchen" but its minging as you would expect so I dont use it
You could even get one of the small folding camping stoves and a canister, smaller and more efficient than the briefcase type imo.

Soldato
I dunno why but a 4 day prediction?
Probably 4 weeks!
4 weeks would be crazy. Hopefully we get some notice beforehand. Will at least give me a chance to download loads of movies and games. If they are just doing this based on gas supply then they could turn the electric back on when demand is lower such as overnight and then at least things can charge up.

Soldato
Annoyingly my gas fix ends on October 4th at 3.77p a unit, what am I looking at after the price cap rise, 4-5x that?
About 13p in October and 15p in January.

I dunno why but a 4 day prediction?
Probably 4 weeks!
Dooooom
:cry:

Soldato
Yeah, I may even be tempted to use at the allotment when its cold, ive got a nice large greenhouse (twin wall) so open a window a bit and I am sure it would warm up nicely, and have abrew at the same time

We do have a small "kitchen" but its minging as you would expect so I dont use it
I'll be down the allotment with a pitchfork stopping anyone nicking my leeks.

Associate
About 13p in October and 15p in January.

Dooooom
:cry:
Ooof! Thanks 200sols. So I’ll be in the weird situation where my electricity will be fixed at 11p a unit for the next year and I’ve got a wood pellet stove to heat the downstairs, I’m guessing it might be worth getting a couple of oil based electric radiators to cover the two bedrooms in use and use that cheaper electricity?

Soldato
Of course, if your phone runs through the internet...

Yea well it all goes through the fibre, so provided you can power your modem/router in theory should still work assuming the telecom infrastructure is on a seperate power supply to domestic homes, again not 100% on that but assume so, and highly doubt the would cut that. I mean even during power cuts your "landline" still works, I can't see that being any different to a fibre connection provided you can power your end

Commissario
It seems it's just convenient to ignore all the other emissions burning wood gives off and just focus on CO2 to say it's "green" that doesn't include the fact you have to cut the tree down to get the wood, otherwise the tree would live for years not decomposing because it's still alive
It's relatively green and as long as you're planting at least as many trees as you're burning it does balance out to an extent.

They don't burn hardwood etc, they tend to be burning specifically grown softwood/fast growing trees and potentially "waste" wood from other industries such as paper or furniture making for at least part of it.
IIRC there are basically forests of pine and similar trees that are grown purely for this and the paper industries as it can grow to a usable size in something like 10-20 years, and they've been doing this for decades.

It's not ideal, but it's far better than burning coal, if less efficient.

Don
Yea well it all goes through the fibre, so provided you can power your modem/router in theory should still work assuming the telecom infrastructure is on a seperate power supply to domestic homes, again not 100% on that but assume so, and highly doubt the would cut that. I mean even during power cuts your "landline" still works, I can't see that being any different to a fibre connection provided you can power your end

Your "landline" is hard wired back to the BT exchange which will have 3-phase power and backups in place. ADSL works in the same way.

VDSL, Virgin Media and full-fibre are connected to powered cabinets on the street. Those are almost certainly not 3-phase and will be linked to the same grid as street lights etc.

[Edit] If we're talking doom mongers, your best hope there would be Starlink or similar. No requirement for local grid power then

Soldato
Your "landline" is hard wired back to the BT exchange which will have 3-phase power and backups in place. ADSL works in the same way.

VDSL, Virgin Media and full-fibre are connected to powered cabinets on the street. Those are almost certainly not 3-phase and will be linked to the same grid as street lights etc.

[Edit] If we're talking doom mongers, your best hope there would be Starlink or similar. No requirement for local grid power then

I'll test it next time we have a power cut and find out. You may be right.

Back
Top Bottom