Soldato
Hope i don't trigger anyone :p
A couple of bits for Christmas :D
IMG-20220810-165316.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah phone lines are powered.
Its why retro phones didn't need anything else than the phone cable to work

They are yeah I remember in times past during power cuts the landline still worked though they have plans to turn off POTS in a few years now so will be at the mercy of the power grid like everything else, short term thinking again.

Last edited:
Soldato
old key, if it was a smart meter the prices would have updated on 1st april to current prices.

Absolutely right. Get that thing topped up to the hills before any rate increase. You'll be stuck at the old unit rates until the first time you top up after the rates kick in, this is why the supplier I used to work for were desperate to get smart meters in for all prepay customers.

Isn't it some pretty small volt/amp combination though I remember back in the day some phones came with a warning about needing more power than the phone line can give

You were allowed 4.
Most phones were 1, a few were 0.5, a few funky ones were 1.5.
Basically the power down your line could power that many (total 4), otherwise they wouldn't ring/function properly

Soldato
Although again, when our fibre was installed and landline removed, the engineer said they used to install batteries on the fibre modems in case of power cuts, but that they no longer do because they used to play up.

Why would they install batteries then if it wouldn't be powered the other end?

Soldato
Although again, when our fibre was installed and landline removed, the engineer said they used to install batteries on the fibre modems in case of power cuts, but that they no longer do because they used to play up.

Why would they install batteries then if it wouldn't be powered the other end?
Maybe so that they don't lose config settings and stuff like that when they lose power?

Soldato
It's relatively green and as long as you're planting at least as many trees as you're burning it does balance out to an extent.

They don't burn hardwood etc, they tend to be burning specifically grown softwood/fast growing trees and potentially "waste" wood from other industries such as paper or furniture making for at least part of it.
IIRC there are basically forests of pine and similar trees that are grown purely for this and the paper industries as it can grow to a usable size in something like 10-20 years, and they've been doing this for decades.

It's not ideal, but it's far better than burning coal, if less efficient.
Yeah but the point is, if they weren't burning the wood, the trees wouldn't just magically start decomposing, so the excuse of it's offset by what would have decomposed is it a bit of a myth, it can't be that much better than coal if we go purely off emissions as a result of burning ?

Soldato
Are there any sites out there which show me clearly and simply what the unit costs and standing charges are for the various tarriffs and providers available at my address?
I basically want to find who has the lowest standing charges in my area.

Soldato
Woa, just had a look at what Octopus are offering if I switched to a 12m fixed rate. 75p a unit. My bill would go from ~£300 to ~£650.

Damn, is this really how bad it's expected to get in October?
Yeah you left it too late, fixed was about 50p something a month ago (which in itself was also bad) and also agile could have been had for 35p alongside 40% of normal SC, that offer you got is just completely ridiculous.

SVR I think for electric will be be somewhere between about 50p and low 60s. But then in January it may possibly top the offer you got.

If you want to fix now on Octopus get the agile for electric 55p, and new gas tracker for gas 16p, on those you also have a chance if daily rates fall below the cap you will temporarily get cheaper prices. What did they offer you for gas, I am assuming its over 16p.

Last edited:
Soldato
Better hope it is ****ing windy this winter or things could get very interesting indeed.

If its too windy they cant produce power, hope Im wrong on that. A good storm giving 'free' energy is the ideal I doubt most of us get it

Yeah you left it too late, fixed was about 50p something a month ago (which in itself was also bad) and also agile could have been had for 35p alongside 40% of normal SC, that offer you got is just completely ridiculous.

SVR I think for electric will be be somewhere between about 50p and low 60s. But then in January it may top the offer you got.
The Octo loyal rate is better I think ? People say you were too late but also switching to a higher cost fix early is in fact also paying more, many months forward it might be cheaper yea

Soldato
If its too windy they cant produce power, hope Im wrong on that. A good storm giving 'free' energy is the ideal I doubt most of us get it

The Octo loyal rate is better I think ? People say you were too late but also switching to a higher cost fix early is in fact also paying more, many months forward it might be cheaper yea
I think their loyal offers a discount on the SC a small amount. So would be I assume a little bit cheaper.

I will edit my reply to him, but if he wants fixed getting the new tracker and agile would be better, 55p for electric and 16p for gas, with chance if daily rates ever drop they temporarily get cheaper.

Back
Top Bottom