Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Depends if that's a yearly amount averaged. Then heating is relevant. If it's a spot price for this month.. Yeah that's crazy high

Like I said I'm only using about £66 a month currently, heating would double/triple it at current rates, as would having the hot water on everyday. In this heat with correct insulation it will stay hot for several days, so I only turn it on an hour or two at night if I need it.

Soldato
My usage last month cost me £221 in a 4 bed detached (DD now set to £280), pond is drawing a constant 200w as well. The cost based on past winter usages will go up to about £360 in Jan/feb at current rates or about £750 come January :cry:

Soldato
I love that the government would rather wait to announce anything for purely political reasons to give their new leader an arbitrary bonus whilst the country rots, no doubt they're desperate for another 'save Christmas' headline.
It was the left that shouted loudest that Boris wasn't allowed to make policy during the leadership election - be careful what you wish for etc..

Caporegime
253 for two of us.

Day rate
34.42 p/kWh

Night rate
18.49 p/kWh

Standing charge
32.23 p/day

I would say this is very high.
Can ask again if this is summer months (ie now) or your yearly bill /12?
I have to believe that's 12 months averaged or an EV?

There are 2 of us in a detached, our unit rate is 22p (day and night) so 2/3 of your day rate. We both work at home, plasma TV in evening, electric oven. All standard stuff.

We pay less than 100 in summer.
Is about 80ppm for us in summer

Associate
My wife and I earn reasonably well and generally have been able to save something each month between us but now any surplus is quickly being eroded and getting smaller and smaller.
With a large jump on a new mortgage deal next year and this energy jump I genuinely think we will be eating into our long-term savings to cover everything.

Am considering extending the mortgage years to lower the monthly cost.

We are still in a better position to many others out there and I really do feel for those struggling and at their limit at this stage.

Soldato
253 for two of us.

Day rate
34.42 p/kWh

Night rate
18.49 p/kWh

Standing charge
32.23 p/day

Based on those rates, something ain't right, the usage seems astronomical.

Based on 60/40 split between day/night that's 950kw/h a month abouyt 32kw/h a day, for comparisons sake, I use 6kw/h a day, 3-4 times what is considered the average for a small property with 1-2 adults. Are you growing weed or something?

Capodecina
Soldato

Based on 60/40 split between day/night that's 950kw/h a month abouyt 32kw/h a day, for comparisons sake, I use 6kw/h a day, 3-4 times what is considered the average for a small property with 1-2 adults. Are you growing weed or something?

I don't know where that is coming from. My wife works from home and uses and computer all day. Then I do in the evenings + gaming, washing, drying, cooking. I mean, this is all standard stuff, unless something in the property is malfunctioning or something. Our boiler is currently on "summer mode" as well.

We have been on estimates instead of readings. But the last time [about 3 months ago] that I called EON up to give a reading, they said, "are you sure, that would make it higher". So I just left it.

Caporegime
I don't know where that is coming from. My wife works from home and uses and computer all day. Then I do in the evenings + gaming, washing, drying, cooking. I mean, this is all standard stuff, unless something in the property is malfunctioning or something. Our boiler is currently on "summer mode" as well.

We have been on estimates instead of readings. But the last time [about 3 months ago] that I called EON up to give a reading, they said, "are you sure, that would make it higher". So I just left it.

If that's summer and you have no EV you're paying 2x too much if you can't identify an obvious source.

Is it possible you've got issues with meter reads? Ie, significantly underpaid in the past?

Soldato

Do you have a smart meter or something you can use to monitor energy use? I'd be going around switching things off one at a time to guage where there's a potential problem, to be using 32kw/h a day something is sucking up the juice like it's going out fashion. That's a hell of a lot of power being used. Maybe time to start tracking your meter as well so you can see whats going on day to day.

Just as an example, I'd have to leave my kettle on for a full 24 hours to match that usage.

Caporegime
With everything switched off and the fridge/freezer etc not running I hit an idle of 60-70w.

You should be able to do the same with a smart meter. Although if they need reads I guess you don't have one?

Your usage should make the culprit easy to find

Soldato
My idle usage with only the fridge/router/microwave on or on standby is 30w, when the pc is on its ~220w, when the fridge compressor kicks in, it jumps to around 300w but that's only a few minutes an hour pretty much.

Soldato
Perhaps a smart meter would be a useful. At least would help identify what's churning up so much electric.

Electric water heating and a tumble dryer would be my suspects. Drying on a line saves a chunk of electric.

Soldato
Bulb have had me on GBP 218 / month direct debit. Last month we used 154, and that's with 3 relative staying (as well as the 4 of us), and our rates are:

30p / unit day
21p / unit night
48p / day Standing Charge

That's electric only. Balance is at +643

Soldato

Yeah we're currently using on average 7-8 kw/h electric, that's with 3 of us in the house, and fans going constantly.

Back
Top Bottom