Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I don't know where that is coming from. My wife works from home and uses and computer all day. Then I do in the evenings + gaming, washing, drying, cooking. I mean, this is all standard stuff, unless something in the property is malfunctioning or something. Our boiler is currently on "summer mode" as well.

We have been on estimates instead of readings. But the last time [about 3 months ago] that I called EON up to give a reading, they said, "are you sure, that would make it higher". So I just left it.
This is why people need smart meters. The number of people in the same situation will be significant, there's huge wastage of electric in this country and people are only realising now. All the poo pooing of smart meters you see is so stupid.

Soldato
There's no reason that boris and the two numpties that are vying to continue the trough-fest could not sit down together and agree a way going forward.

Well I'd imagine agreeing would be the issue - why would one of them want to be hamstrung in policy appeasing the eventual loser.

As for Boris given how he's been treated I'm sure he is happy to leave for his replacement..

Caporegime
Yeah we're currently using on average 7-8 kw/h electric, that's with 3 of usin the house, and fans going constantly.

That's what we use.

It hops between 6-10kwh on a weekday.
I think the swing is how much Netflix we watch!

The plasma tv/av receiver is a chunk of Wattage.

I think its constant draw is 300w

Soldato
Surely the cheap EV rates will disappear if electricity prices carry on rising? Already some chargers are nearly 60p, that would be more expensive than a tank of petrol...
In other (Sky) news:

New forecast bills could top £5,000 next year - with costs of £571 in January alone​

The cap on energy bills could top £5,000 next year, according to the bleakest forecast for struggling households.
Experts said regulator Ofgem could be forced to set the cap at £5,038 per year for the average household in the three months beginning next April.
It is more than £200 higher than previous forecasts, which were already grim, and heaps extra pressure on households across Britain.
Auxilione, an energy consultancy, also predicted that bills would reach £4,467 in January.
This forecast is likely to worry energy users more than April's higher number, as households use more gas during the winter months.
The new nightmare scenario would mean an average household will spend £571 on energy in January alone.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-...s-plans-12615118?postid=4279313#liveblog-body

3.5x the current cap? :eek: Based on what I'm paying now I'll be lucky to get change from a grand a month!

I've started making changes focussed on saving energy this winter. Installed smart heating, bought electric blankets, an extra couple of tablets (much cheaper to run than the plasma tv) and more efficient cooking appliances (multi-cooker and an air fryer). Also now considering selling the gaming PC and buying a gaming laptop (can always be cheeky and charge it at work for extra savings). So I'm expecting the gap between my usage and the price cap to come down. But I can only manage maybe £500/month tops. Much beyond that, and we have a problem (we'll likely have to move back in with my parents or the missus' mum :eek::().

I assumed we'd see prices double at most over the current cap. And I'd prepared for that. But how can anyone prepare for a 3.5x increase on already high prices? I expect many businesses will fold with this pricing too.

Time for drastic action? Nationalising gas production? Banning exports?

Last edited:
Soldato
This is why people need smart meters. The number of people in the same situation will be significant, there's huge wastage of electric in this country and people are only realising now. All the poo pooing of smart meters you see is so stupid.

I agree there, smart meters are not the evil people made them out to be, they absolutely should be made mandatory.

Please everyone stop typing kW/h, that makes no sense at all.

It's not confusing at all, if you know how much your electricity costs (for example 30p a unit), 1kw/h is going to cost you 30p for 1 hour.

Soldato
That's what we use.

It hops between 6-10kwh on a weekday.
I think the swing is how much Netflix we watch!

The plasma tv/av receiver is a chunk of Wattage.

I think its constant draw is 300w
With us that's a tv on most of the time, a gaming pc a few hours a night, two fridge freezers, and currently fans as well. It hops between 6-10 daily.
IHD is saying around 70w overnight with just the fridge freezers and router on.

Associate
I agree there, smart meters are not the evil people made them out to be, they absolutely should be made mandatory.

It's not confusing at all, if you know how much your electricity costs (for example 30p a unit), 1kw/h is going to cost you 30p for 1 hour.
A kilowatt is an instantaneous measure of power. You cannot use a kilowatt per hour. You can use a kilowatt for an hour, which will mean you've used 1 kilowatt-hour, which is one unit.

Soldato
I'm using £40 a month for gas and electric still on the lower rate, If I continue to use no gas through winter I'd be ok.. Slowly working towards making this house a passive house.

Soldato
We have been on estimates instead of readings. But the last time [about 3 months ago] that I called EON up to give a reading, they said, "are you sure, that would make it higher". So I just left it.
Are you on a fixed rate tariff? It was a good thing to have your readings higher 3 months ago (so much so that some people on here lied about their readings to give an inflated cost) so that more of your use was charged at the lower capped rate.

Capodecina
Soldato
Are you on a fixed rate tariff? It was a good thing to have your readings higher 3 months ago (so much so that some people on here lied about their readings to give an inflated cost) so that more of your use was charged at the lower capped rate.

It's flexible. Apparently the fixed rate would be £467.74 a month.

I am speaking to the wife about getting a smart meter. Something looks like it's wrong. I don't think we have to tell the landlord about it, but we will out of courtesy.

Soldato

I am speaking to the wife about getting a smart meter. Something looks like it's wrong. I don't think we have to tell the landlord about it, but we will out of courtesy.
I'd get an actual reading in asap if you're estimates are below your actual use. Otherwise you'll end up paying for that excess at a higher rate later.

Soldato
I'm using £40 a month for gas and electric still on the lower rate, If I continue to use no gas through winter I'd be ok.. Slowly working towards making this house a passive house.
If I used no gas at all in my house, it'd start getting damp.

Soldato

It's not saving you any money by having estimated readings which are lower than actual - it's costing you a lot more. You're going to end up paying the higher price cap rates for electricity you used a while ago when it was actually cheaper.
Get a proper meter reading done soon. Don't leave it until after the prices increase again!

Back
Top Bottom