Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
Just logged in to octopus, and they've got a 'crystal ball' mode, which seems to bung in some future price cap predictions. I currently pay £226 a month, and Octopus are recommending I drop that monthly to £191, but also present me with this graph:

P3rki18.png

Which I can only balance the "account balance" blue line on, by upping my monthlies to this:

OzPiVNT.png

Damn.

So fancy.

Scottish Power in no way are taking the rebate into account. I tried asking through chat for my huge credit back but got no where.

Need to ring them up. As otherwise they are going to have tok much of my cash.

I'm 600 in credit, I'm paying 60 a month.
I'm estimated to be in deficit in a year. This is not going to happen with the rebate.

Soldato
Damn.

So fancy.

Scottish Power in no way are taking the rebate into account. I tried asking through chat for my huge credit back but got no where.

Need to ring them up. As otherwise they are going to have tok much of my cash.

I'm 600 in credit, I'm paying 60 a month.
I'm estimated to be in deficit in a year. This is not going to happen with the rebate.
Yes I'm not impressed with the way EDF only review the account every so often (twice a year or something)
A graph like that would be quite useful.

Caporegime
Surely you can get that back.

Or, temporarily switch to whole amount / variable direct debit. Then you'd have no payment taken until that credit is used up.

I heard nothing back from the default process. Time to give them a call

I'd rather them give 500 back and increase my DD to 100
But if they are incapable of adding in the 66 it's going to be constant chase to keep the credit balance reasonable

Soldato
Just logged in to octopus, and they've got a 'crystal ball' mode, which seems to bung in some future price cap predictions. I currently pay £226 a month, and Octopus are recommending I drop that monthly to £191, but also present me with this graph:

P3rki18.png

Which I can only balance the "account balance" blue line on, by upping my monthlies to this:

OzPiVNT.png
That looks like a really useful tool. It would be a very good thing if everyone in the country could see their situation on a graph like this, to have a proper idea of what's ahead

Soldato

Regards the prediction, they assume you effectively reduce your DD during the government rebate don't they?? If that is correct and if you keep the DD the same and add the rebate to this it helps ease the pain, a little... maybe.

Soldato
That looks like a really useful tool. It would be a very good thing if everyone in the country could see their situation on a graph like this, to have a proper idea of what's ahead
For what it's worth, my rough usages are:
Electric: 4168.2kw/h
Gas: 15680.8kw/h

Tariff:
28.40p/kWh 51.36p/day electric
7.48p/kWh 27.22p/day gas

Just in case someone on here has similar usages and can use the graph in some way.

Associate

P3rki18.png

OzPiVNT.png

I just don’t understand all the DD mess. When I join octopus in June they put me straight onto a variable (pay for what you use) DD.

Phone them up and ask, much better.

Soldato
For what it's worth, my rough usages are:
Electric: 4168.2kw/h
Gas: 15680.8kw/h

Tariff:
28.40p/kWh 51.36p/day electric
7.48p/kWh 27.22p/day gas

Just in case someone on here has similar usages and can use the graph in some way.
For the love of god.

A Watt (W) represents the number of joules of energy used each second. 1kW = 1000 joules/second.
We all know what an hour (h) is.

Writing kW/h is like writing joules per second per hour. It makes no sense. You can't have an amount of energy used per second... per hour!

Think of kW like speed of a car (so say, miles per hour). kWh means one kilowatt for one hour, so this is like a distance (like doing 10miles per hour for one hour).

Soldato
I just don’t understand all the DD mess. When I join octopus in June they put me straight onto a variable (pay for what you use) DD.

Phone them up and ask, much better.
Just helps people budget, he pays £356 all year rather than facing a £620 bill in January (minus the government assistance payments on both).

Mental that people are facing £500+ a month bills this winter though.

Soldato
Just discovered that, ever since switching over to a variable Direct Debit, British Gas have been ignoring (or not receiving) my smart meter data, so they've been using estimated usage figures without telling me thereby rendering the whole purpose of a variable DD completely pointless.

This company is genuinely inept.

Soldato
Without sounding overly stinky, I grew up in a time when you had a wash every day at the sink, and a bath once a week.
The daily shower seems a fairly modern thing. Unless you've been out getting sweaty you don't really need it.
Yeah it can be done sure.

Could drop the fridge too and live off tinned food.

This is meant to be civilised time not the dark ages though.

Not aimed at you, just general comment on how pathetic this whole situation is.

Soldato
According to EON we don't qualify for a smart meter because the meter is in a communal cupboard. Great.
You used to be able buy meters that just clamped on to the mains feed after the meter, energy companies used to give them out before smart meters. Not as accurate but gives you an idea.

Like this but they weren't so expensive back then.

Edit: Ignore, if its a communal cupboard you are likely too far away for that to be of any use. Tricky

Soldato
I've been burying my head in the sand regarding all this mess but it's to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

What a time to be alive. Work hard and enjoy nothing!

Capodecina
Soldato
I've been burying my head in the sand regarding all this mess but it's to the point where it can no longer be ignored.

What a time to be alive. Work hard and enjoy nothing!

I work four days a week and stream on Twitch. I make some money from streaming but not much. I just work, eat and sleep. I don't have money for much else.

Back
Top Bottom