Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
How much will you need to use and at what price will it need to be, to be £1k in a month?

At current cap, and using more than most do, my bill month to month without CH costs is around £150-£200 at present. Add say £100~ for extra gas usage during winter, bill isn't going to 3-4X between now and Jan.

October cap will be around 45p/kwh on elec probably. Jan is estimated to be higher still, but even at 60p/kwh that is a doubling of the price.

People paying £1K in a month will have exceptional usage.
If I was on variable payments my Jan/Feb would be about £750. (With the new 2023 January cap) So if the cap goes over £5k I could approach the magic £1k.

It's not extraordinary usage either. My summer usage is about £200, winter about £360 at current price cap..

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see if advocates of using variable direct debits still think it's better if/when they're getting £1k+ bills in January...
£1k bills. What are you smoking. I estimate my monthly usage to max out at £200. Then you have the £66 a month help.

No matter the cost for me doesn't change variable payments being better.

Soldato
If I was on variable payments my Jan/Feb would be about £750. (With the new 2023 January cap) So if the cap goes over £5k I could approach the magic £1k.

It's not extraordinary usage either. My summer usage is about £200, winter about £360 at current price cap..

How much are you using here to reach that level? It sounds extreme to me, I'm a realist above all, you'd have to be burning a lot of gas and electric to hit those levels.

Caporegime
They are going to have suicides on their hands. All to create a show. It's disgusting.

I cannot understand how the party as whole doesn't want something now. I really hope people remember this delaying and gaming with peoples mental health.

Caporegime
How much are you using here to reach that level? It sounds extreme to me, I'm a realist above all, you'd have to be burning a lot of gas and electric to hit those levels.
I think our summer usage would be 150-175 a month of I was on price cap too right now.

3 bed detached

I agree. 6000kwh isn't extreme for that. It's higher. But not extreme

Soldato
£1k bills. What are you smoking. I estimate my monthly usage to max out at £200. Then you have the £66 a month help.

No matter the cost for me doesn't change variable payments being better.
Oh people will, prices are going to more than double.. If you use £200 come January you will be using way below average, the average monthly DD then will be roughly £350 (it keeps going up) and that is spread over the year so the average single month bill for January on variable payments would be a north of £500.

The bulb estimate for me is £363 in January on the current cap... so when it more than doubles... yeah nice.

Associate
Just discovered that, ever since switching over to a variable Direct Debit, British Gas have been ignoring (or not receiving) my smart meter data, so they've been using estimated usage figures without telling me thereby rendering the whole purpose of a variable DD completely pointless.

This company is genuinely inept.
British Gas are somewhat of a disaster from my experience so far. The tarrif information on their site is all messed up hasnt been update correctly. My Smart Meter isnt getting the right info either and i dont think they are getting the reading from that also.

I also switched to a fixed plan in june with them which still hasn't materialised 3 web chats and 2 call centres later. Still on the case though.

Caporegime
Oh people will, prices are going to more than double.. If you use £200 come January you will be using way below average, the average monthly DD then will be roughly £350 (it keeps going up) and that is spread over the year so the average single month bill for January on variable payments would be a north of £500.

The bulb estimate for me is £363 in January on the current cap... so when it more than doubles... yeah nice.

My estimate for 22p elec and 5p gas is 125 a month. (if I had 0 credit)

So if rates hit 55p and 15p over winter I could easily see ours being 350. It's that gas one that's brutal.

Soldato
Est

Elec - 6300 kwh
Gas 15418kwh

4 bed detached it really isn't extreme use.

3 bed detached (new build 10y ago)

Est

Elec - 5500 kwh
Gas - 6000 kwh

Your gas usage is fairly extreme compared to mine. Elec is similar.

Should look at why your gas usage is so high here, seems more than I'd expect.

I think our summer usage would be 150-175 a month of I was on price cap too right now.

3 bed detached

I agree. 6000kwh isn't extreme for that. It's higher. But not extreme

I'm more going to point out the gas usage here as above.

Caporegime

Est

Elec - 5500 kwh
Gas - 6000 kwh

I'm more pointing out the gas usage here as above.

Unfortunately we don't have smart gas. So I have no real idea how much gas we use. I think its a lot as our house has **** windows

Soldato
For the love of god.

A Watt (W) represents the number of joules of energy used each second. 1kW = 1000 joules/second.
We all know what an hour (h) is.

Writing kW/h is like writing joules per second per hour. It makes no sense. You can't have an amount of energy used per second... per hour!

Think of kW like speed of a car (so say, miles per hour). kWh means one kilowatt for one hour, so this is like a distance (like doing 10miles per hour for one hour).
lol - I can see this conversation pushes your buttons, but it's really not aimed at winding you up.

My bill is calculated on an estimated KW/h (their unit, not mine, they can call it Garys per hour if they like) and a price per. :)

Associate

Est

Elec - 5500 kwh
Gas - 6000 kwh

4 Bed detached modern build (10 years also). 12000 Kwh usage here. and i wouldnt say we are high users at all. i imagine thats about average for a family of 4.

Soldato

Est

Elec - 5500 kwh
Gas - 6000 kwh

Its between average and high, its not extreme. My gas use is higher because my house isn't a newbuild insulated box and it is a decent size and the boiler isn't that new. I've insulated it, windows arent old etc. Short of going cold I wont be reducing consumption..

Back
Top Bottom