Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
Pond will suck up power, normally fine, now using 5 kwh per day just about at 200w, or £3 a day if we're on £0.60 / kwh. I assume you have fish and can't totally revoke the pond pumps?

For heating, I wouldn't be in the camp of "never use it" but perhaps setting thermostat a little lower and dressing up a bit warmer, if I was using a lot of gas that would probably be my first strategy. I only tend to set mine to like 19/20 though. Not sure what you normally run with.
Usually 18/19. Could use a new boiler probably but tbh it's never been viable to replace a perfectly well working boiler with a more efficient one until perhaps now. Pond has a stream attached which is pump fed. Its just the heating setup which uses a lot of gas tbh, these house were built with thermal stores which are decent but cost a bit to run. Changing the system would require a lot more work than just swapping out the boiler.

Soldato
So our new rates on the octopus tesla energy plan have changed from:

Unit import: 11.20p/kwh
Standing charge: 20.95p/day
Unit Export: 11.76p/kwh

To

Unit: 24.54p/kwh
Standing charge: 45p/day
Unit export: 24.54p/kwh

I’ll take that. Isn’t as bad as I had expected.

Soldato
Usually 18/19. Could use a new boiler probably but tbh it's never been viable to replace a perfectly well working boiler with a more efficient one until perhaps now. Pond has a stream attached which is pump fed. Its just the heating setup which uses a lot of gas tbh, these house were built with thermal stores which are decent but cost a bit to run. Changing the system would require a lot more work than just swapping out the boiler.

That and they're still trying to phase out gas boilers, so who knows how long the new one would get!

Soldato
On topic of my above reply. Lifted this from the citizens advice website and might prove useful for some. Full link here https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/c...d-benefits-to-help-you-pay-your-energy-bills/ but summary below

Grants to help pay off your energy debts​

If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant to help pay it off.

The following energy suppliers offer grants to their customers:

If you can’t get a grant from your supplier, you might be able to get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust. These grants are available to anyone - you don’t have to be a British Gas customer. You’ll need to get debt advice before applying - get help from a debt adviser.

If you've already spoken to a debt adviser - check if you can get a grant from the British Gas Energy Trust.

Before you apply​

When you apply for a grant, you'll have to provide detailed information about your financial situation in your application. It could take a while to complete, and it might be worth getting help from a friend or family member. You can also talk to an adviser for help filling in forms.

It’s worth checking on the trust or fund website if there’s anything else you need to do before you apply.

For example, if your supplier is E.ON, E.ON Next or EDF you’ll need to show you’ve completed a budget sheet with a Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) approved adviser. To do this:

1. Find an adviser using the debt advice locator on the Money Helper website
  2. Check if the adviser or their firm is on the FCA register
  3. Contact the adviser to arrange a conversation where you’ll complete a budget sheet
You can get ready for your conversation by using the Budget Planner on the Money Helper website.

Going to rebump this post every dozen or so pages for visibility just in case this would benefit anyone here or if someone knows anyone who may benefit from this.

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see if advocates of using variable direct debits still think it's better if/when they're getting £1k+ bills in January...
£1k usage per month over the winter is entirely possible especially for people with electric heating.

Lets say 6000 kWh of gas use for an average house for the year, but most of that will be over the winter in a gas heated house so that is say 1500 kWh per month over the three coldest months say.

At 20p per unit of gas, that is £300.

If that 1500 kWh was electric heating instead, you're at close to £750 based on 50p per kWh.

A single 2 kWh electric heater, on for just 6 hours per day for a month will use £180 at 50p per unit. But people reliant on electric heating may have electric hot water too, electric showers, the fridge is another £1 a day, and other rooms to heat.

Ok £1k in one month is a lot, and Im possibly stretching the numbers a little to get to that level, but it is possible without getting to real extremes.

Soldato
thats ^ a bit better

bUT 'APPLY FOR A GRANT' LOL r4 @ 1pm Baroness Altman conservative giving advise to folks who don't know how to pay the bill .... lot's of 'APPLY FOR A GRANT' ergh that's a loan not a lottery ticket

Gordon Brown speaks in euphemism but has the right idea - where is WallyKier

So instead of allowing Ofgem to announce an increase on a scale that will send shock waves through every household, the government should pause any further increase in the cap; assess the actual costs of the energy supplies being sold to consumers by the major companies; and, after reviewing the profit margins, and examining how to make standing charges and social tariffs more progressive, negotiate separate company agreements to keep prices down. They should work with businesses to cut consumption, as is happening in France and Spain, which have imposed their own cap on energy prices, dictated more by what people can afford than the current wholesale gas price in the marketplace.
And if the companies cannot meet these new requirements, we should consider all the options we used with the banks in 2009: guaranteed loans, equity financing and, if this fails, as a last resort, operate their essential services from the public sector until the crisis is over.

With one of our main suppliers, Norway, seeking to retain its own gas for domestic use and France running into problems with its nuclear reactors, we are already running out of time to negotiate new deals with other international suppliers. And we are already missing out of additional capacity from Qatar, which has gone to mainland Europe.
make them an offer they can't refuse

budget estimates - lots of spreadsheet templates out there or DIY eg http://thnet.co.uk/power/ ,just need to previous years monthlies, and ability to quickly swap/try rates.

Soldato
thats ^ a bit better

bUT 'APPLY FOR A GRANT' LOL r4 @ 1pm Baroness Altman conservative giving advise to folks who don't know how to pay the bill .... lot's of 'APPLY FOR A GRANT' ergh that's a loan not a lottery ticket

Gordon Brown speaks in euphemism but has the right idea - where is WallyKier

make them an offer they can't refuse

budget estimates - lots of spreadsheet templates out there or DIY eg http://thnet.co.uk/power/ ,just need to previous years monthlies, and ability to quickly swap/try rates.
Notice Brown doesn't mention EDF suing the French govt?

Soldato
Notice Brown doesn't mention EDF suing the French govt?
does depend if the french government is doing something equally punitive to the profits of edf competitors (or an IOU for future energy they have to supply), if not that does seem unfair,
but, the countries are effectively on a war foot with 'requistiioning' of resources.

The company, which is being nationalised by the French state, has filed a compensation claim over the extension of the country’s price cap in January.
Emmanuel Macron’s government forced EDF to sell more of its power to rivals at prices below the market rates as officials attempted to tackle the cost of living crisis and support households.

Soldato
£1k usage per month over the winter is entirely possible especially for people with electric heating.

Lets say 6000 kWh of gas use for an average house for the year, but most of that will be over the winter in a gas heated house so that is say 1500 kWh per month over the three coldest months say.

At 20p per unit of gas, that is £300.

If that 1500 kWh was electric heating instead, you're at close to £750 based on 50p per kWh.

A single 2 kWh electric heater, on for just 6 hours per day for a month will use £180 at 50p per unit. But people reliant on electric heating may have electric hot water too, electric showers, the fridge is another £1 a day, and other rooms to heat.

Ok £1k in one month is a lot, and Im possibly stretching the numbers a little to get to that level, but it is possible without getting to real extremes.

I used 398kWh in January which was my highest usage during winter, in a two bed flat with electric heating. That said, this winter I'll be working from home the whole time so my usage will be higher. It's not going to be 1500kWh though.

A 2kWh heater won't be permanently on for those 6 hours, it'd presumably be maintaining a set temperature so the thermostat will turn it on and off as necessary.

Soldato
I'm currently over £100 in credit with Shell but they recommend I change my direct debit to nearly £200 more than I have been paying which has created the credit with them :confused:

I was going to up it a little to try and help with the upcoming Winter increase but the smallest amount I can increase it by is over £80. Guess I'll just wait and see what it costs from Oct onwards.

Soldato
So our new rates on the octopus tesla energy plan have changed from:

Unit import: 11.20p/kwh
Standing charge: 20.95p/day
Unit Export: 11.76p/kwh

To

Unit: 24.54p/kwh
Standing charge: 45p/day
Unit export: 24.54p/kwh

I’ll take that. Isn’t as bad as I had expected.
Need to see what my new Go rates will be. Should find out at the end of this month. Hoping to still get the 7.5p rate.

Caporegime
Yep.

and expect less than 1% of those to actually follow through with their pledge to not pay!

I thit will be a lot higher than that.

So many think they have nothing to lose. Just spend some time (it's grim) reading comments sections. So much mis information. Particularly that they can't cut you off.

Back
Top Bottom