Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
New ATH for Dec 22 Gas Futures today, Previous high was 519p per therm, hit 522 so far today. Jan and Feb 23 futures are hitting their all time highs too today.
Just checked the futures for Dec 22 and it hit more all time highs today, peaked at 556 and dropped slightly to 545. I think its very realistic at this rate to see 600p per therm by the end of the month.

For reference:

545p per therm is 18.60p kwh
600p per therm would be 20.47p kwh

Disclaimer: This doesnt mean the cap will be near these prices, these are just contract prices for later in the year but they will effect the Jan cap

Last edited:
Soldato
I wonder how many will actually do it
People who are going to be faced with the genuine choice of either pay their gas/electric direct debits, or feeding their children are going to care in the slightest about the potential consequences in relation to their credit rating score if they are on the verge of being evicted Millions are pushed to breaking point, and absolute poverty nothing left to lose springs to mind :(

Soldato
on the other ... when the svp is announced we THEN buy the energy ahead for our customers at that price .. like, it's a self fulfillng prophecy,
and they couldn't buy it further in advance at a lower (locked in) price and then provide it to customers at that lower rate.
The guy can't be that stupid, but only answers the questions that are put to him
They buy in advance as soon as know they have a customer. Before this situation started they advertised the best prices they could buy in at and as soon as you sign up, they buy it.
Now of course that is a lot harder.

V F

V F

Soldato
Given the level of slacktivism in the UK maybe 5% if you're lucky. Would be much more impactful if all supposed 100,000 marched on downing street

One thing I've discovered a long time ago about this country, if you stand your ground trying to make a difference, everyone else will brand you or try to ridicule you as a crazy person. Everyone else is scared but are great at mouthing off on the Internet. When it come to the crunch, they run for the hills while up on the hill shouting you're a lunatic.

The priorities are all wrong in this country. Look what happens to the other protests that gets traction, based on feelings, gender or race but serious issues like this. Nah, they're not interested.

Soldato

Here's your past year in review​

Your current plan:
Simpler Energy
Plan type and length:
Variable
It ends on:
N/A
Electricity you used:
5708 kWh
Gas you used:
11901 kWh
How much it cost:
£1456

How much next year if usage is the same

Soldato
OK we have written to the landlord asking if he's OK with us getting a smart meter. Let's see how this goes and we can work out what's really happening with the electricity in our flat.
Is no need, he/she doesnt own the meter. I rent and swapped mine without contacting my LL.

Ironically they know I did it as by coincidence they came to read the meters not long after I did it (vacant neighbour flat) and never said a word to me, which they cant really.

Its really disconnections that are questionable but a meter swap no problem.

Also right now is a massive waiting time (several months) for smart meter installs, in some areas I think they cant even submit an order, so dont wait until then to submit an actual meter reading.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm with Scottish Power and my fixed rate ends at the end of the month. Up until yesterday, they were offering 1 and 2 year fixed (the 2 year fixed slightly more expensive, but includes a charity donation, so that's all right then), tonight the option of the 2 year fixed has gone. So have committed to the 1 year fixed. DD currently £62/month, predicted to rise to £200/month. I'm sure with a frugal approach, we can easily get that sub-£200/month.

Soldato
Makes me wonder what the government will do

Keep chucking out handouts every time the energy costs increase which could be indefinitely as far as we know

Force the energy tycoons to lower prices

Or the tory way let it stuff the country and do jack
Dont worry Truss says she will push her tax cuts in a emergency budget so lower corp tax, NI, inheritance tax etc, coming to help us out. So probably about £200 spread out over the year if you on median wage.

Soldato
Dont worry Truss says she will push her tax cuts in a emergency budget so lower corp tax, NI, inheritance tax etc, coming to help us out. So probably about £200 spread out over the year if you on median wage.

The rich need all the help they can get to heat their mansions though. :)

Back
Top Bottom