Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
It'll be interesting to see if advocates of using variable direct debits still think it's better if/when they're getting £1k+ bills in January...

I'll wait and see, if it becomes unmanageable I'll just switch back. The IHD/energy monitor will at least mean people can see what each day/week/month is costing them, rather than waiting for the shock of a bill at the end of a month/quarter.

Soldato
We have a budget, and say the prices just went further and further up.... honestly think we will just not pay it. It has to go wild before that happens but there has to be a line. Whatever happens after that situation would be the least of our problems, because we would likely be eating out of a bin at that point.

Soldato
@200sols if we ignore the standing charge because it's fixed, and has a calculable cost, use your figures:

Elec - 6300 kwh - 525kwh/month
Gas 15418kwh - 1284kwh/month

If elec was say 60p/kwh, and gas was 18p/kwh (probably a bit above where they may actually be in Jan):

525 * £0.60 = £315
1284 * 0.18 = £231

Total = £546

SC will add a bit, but it's still quite far below £1k/month if you spread your costs across all 12 months.

I mentioned earlier but electric usage is likely to remain fairly static, so you'd have to add an extreme gas kwh to Jan on top of that £315 electric bill to hit £1k even on variable DD.

Soldato
@200sols if we ignore the standing charge because it's fixed, and has a calculable cost, use your figures:

Elec - 6300 kwh - 525kwh/month
Gas 15418kwh - 1284kwh/month

If elec was say 60p/kwh, and gas was 18p/kwh (probably a bit above where they may actually be in Jan):

525 * £0.60 = £315
1284 * 0.18 = £231

Total = £546

SC will add a bit, but it's still quite far below £1k/month if you spread your costs across all 12 months.

I mentioned earlier but electric usage is likely to remain fairly static, so you'd have to add an extreme gas kwh to Jan on top of that £315 electric bill to hit £1k even on variable DD.
Pond uses a constant 200w, I could if I wanted cut that use by 3/4s by running 1 pump in winter.

But looking at last winters bill for 31 days in Jan -> Feb I used 2532gas units in that period where last month I used 462 units. Maybe it was cold, maybe not. Right now I'm cooking outside on the pizza ovens and BBQs hardly using any gas at all. Come winter I'll be cooking inside, heating on etc.

I didnt say I would hit £1k a month this winter, but if it rises by another 20% next year like they are saying it is entirely possible. I pay by DD anyway so will never have a bill like that myself and its not an issue anyway as I can afford it but many wont be able to.

Soldato
We generally use about 1000kWh of gas over the winter months, hope to get that down below 800 this year.
Gas this time of year maxes out at about 50kWh per month.

Electric over winter is about 150kWh, summer is about 200kWh.

Soldato
Pond uses a constant 200w, I could if I wanted cut that use by 3/4s by running 1 pump in winter.

But looking at last winters bill for 31 days in Jan -> Feb I used 2532gas units in that period where last month I used 462 units. Maybe it was cold, maybe not. Right now I'm cooking outside on the pizza ovens and BBQs hardly using any gas at all. Come winter I'll be cooking inside, heating on etc.

Pond will suck up power, normally fine, now using 5 kwh per day just about at 200w, or £3 a day if we're on £0.60 / kwh. I assume you have fish and can't totally revoke the pond pumps?

For heating, I wouldn't be in the camp of "never use it" but perhaps setting thermostat a little lower and dressing up a bit warmer, if I was using a lot of gas that would probably be my first strategy. I only tend to set mine to like 19/20 though. Not sure what you normally run with.

Soldato
I didnt say I would hit £1k a month this winter, but if it rises by another 20% next year like they are saying it is entirely possible. I pay by DD anyway so will never have a bill like that myself and its not an issue anyway as I can afford it but many wont be able to.

No you didn't indeed, someone else did, I think there is a little bit of over dramatising going on as well in general, not helped by the media constantly upping the ante, and saying new bill will be £5K per year. The measure they use isn't accurate for everyone and bills will differ by person.

Most people probably have no idea how much they use or how much it may cost them!

V F

V F

Soldato
I am selling items to make some money so that we have an emergency fund, house and food for the kids are the priority than luxury items.

Though I'm curious, at what point do we reach with them saying 2023 is going to be a no growth year if so many has went down that path, sold almost if not all their stuff and still out of pocket? Or get to a point where so many cannot afford to buy from others.

Back
Top Bottom