Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
were i work, they use to turn of the power to the battery bay between 5 pm and 7pm as there price per KW was insane between these hours, this was before any price increase. they had to stop doing it because it was causing problems with running out of enough charged batterys to swap in the trucks. love to see if they just suck up the cost now or try there luck again turning the power of. even with the huge solar set up they have

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow, those business rates! About a year before Covid we nearly took over a small coffee shop, decided not to in the end but even if we'd survived the pandemic this would have killed us off. :(

Soldato
Come on, this is decades in the making. New Labour are as much to blame.

Can we get over the whole ‘yeh but labour’ mantra in this thread.

Since 1979, so over the last 43 years, the conservatives have been in government for 30 years and labour 13 years.

Most of the decisions that got us into this mess happened in the 30 year period and not the 13 year period.

Once you break up and privatise something, it’s very hard to get it back and when you do, it costs way more than you got when you sold it.

For clarity, I’m not a labour supporter but to point any significant blame on them is utterly preposterous. The only thing is on their head potentially is not trying to deal with it in the Blair years but in reality the damage was done and there was little incentive to change course (E.g. build nukes) as prices were affordable.

Soldato
Wow, didnt you get yours locked in? I did our work and got 24p fixed for 4 years earlier in the year. kicked myself as could have got 14p last october for 5 years but decided it would be cheaper to leave it until this year :(

We came off the back of a 10p tariff so 24p is still going to take our work annual electric from £60k to £150k per annum. Just thankful that its not at 74.38p. That would be £444k per annum and I think that would ruin us.
It’s not my business rate

Soldato

Since 1979, so over the last 43 years, the conservatives have been in government for 30 years and labour 13 years.

Most of the decisions that got us into this mess happened in the 30 year period and not the 13 year period.

Once you break up and privatise something, it’s very hard to get it back and when you do, it costs way more than you got when you sold it.

For clarity, I’m not a labour supporter but to point any significant blame on them is utterly preposterous. The only thing is on their head potentially is not trying to deal with it in the Blair years but in reality the damage was done and there was little incentive to change course (E.g. build nukes) as prices were affordable.
This is what the Conservatives do for normal working people. Remember this the next time you're at the ballot box :p

Caporegime
Wow, didnt you get yours locked in? I did our work and got 24p fixed for 4 years earlier in the year. kicked myself as could have got 14p last october for 5 years but decided it would be cheaper to leave it until this year :(

We came off the back of a 10p tariff so 24p is still going to take our work annual electric from £60k to £150k per annum. Just thankful that its not at 74.38p. That would be £444k per annum and I think that would ruin us.

Is what's going to happen right?

If domestic are getting ruined it's going to be no difference for commercial.

I don't pretend to understand how much an office uses. But you can easily picture a pub.

They have to keep the place warm, lit and kitchen active even when no one is there. And they are already struggling.

Soldato
Is what's going to happen right?

If domestic are getting ruined it's going to be no difference for commercial.

I don't pretend to understand how much an office uses. But you can easily picture a pub.

They have to keep the place warm, lit and kitchen active even when no one is there. And they are already struggling.

Peking duck to go up :eek:

Associate
How fragile is our whole system, if one country invading another (not even that major, it's not like we have a full on world war or China vs. US or something) is enough to plunge most of the developed world into a long term energy crisis.

Seems daft as countries have to rely on other countries for basics like electricity

Rolls royce have a solution but won't start production of their module reactors till 2030 that's if they get the go ahead

Wonder if that is why they've been going around at work fitting timers on stuff and/or making lights motion activated rather than just on 24x7, suddenly getting around to disconnecting old lights which have just been going for years, etc. etc.

I was saying at the time the cost of the work would be way more than any electricity savings but at those kind of prices maybe not.

Wonder if we'll be banned from boiling a kettle at work, etc. LOL.

Yeah we have started taking it seriously finally at work. I've been banging on for years that our base load at weekends is 2000kw/h, yes you read that correctly 2000kw per hour. Week it peaks about 4000kw/h when in fully production, could be slightly higher now we added some more processes and a couple of new buildings (circa 10,000 sqm)
Its a large industrial site, with lots of lighting, and lots of air extracting and air handling.

To give you can idea of the idiocy i have been fighting against. The old warehouse used to have about 30 500w lights (about 60 feet up in the air), when they broke I insisted (Ie refused to sign off the expenditure) that they were LED.
The electricians were all against it for some reason. I eventually won but at one point they were refusing to fit them, I said I would instruct external which triggers them massively!
That same warehouse has no light switch, I mean at all, those lights have no way of being turned off. The only way is to access the locked control room and flip the trip. Imagine if they were still the old 500w jobbies up there burning away, when 1/3 of the week technically is supposed to be no one there. (24/5 site)

Good news is we have finally busted the hurdle of solar, we are likely to be getting into something like 1-2MW of panels next year. We have acres of unused land so makes loads of sense.

Soldato

We’ll just ignore the whole ‘theres no money left’ thing shall we?

The fact that Labour has had to wheel out Gordon Brown because Captain Hindsight is MIA says all we need to know about them.

The government need a strong opposition to hold them to account but we havent had one of them since 2010.

I wont even go into the scum Corbyn years.

Soldato

The fact that Labour has had to wheel out Gordon Brown because Captain Hindsight is MIA says all we need to know about them.

The government need a strong opposition to hold them to account but we havent had one of them since 2010.

"This whole mess is Labour's fault because they haven't properly held the Conservative government to account." Amazing.

Soldato
Yeah we have started taking it seriously finally at work. I've been banging on for years that our base load at weekends is 2000kw/h, yes you read that correctly 2000kw per hour. Week it peaks about 4000kw/h when in fully production, could be slightly higher now we added some more processes and a couple of new buildings (circa 10,000 sqm)
Its a large industrial site, with lots of lighting, and lots of air extracting and air handling.

To give you can idea of the idiocy i have been fighting against. The old warehouse used to have about 30 500w lights (about 60 feet up in the air), when they broke I insisted (Ie refused to sign off the expenditure) that they were LED.
The electricians were all against it for some reason. I eventually won but at one point they were refusing to fit them, I said I would instruct external which triggers them massively!
That same warehouse has no light switch, I mean at all, those lights have no way of being turned off. The only way is to access the locked control room and flip the trip. Imagine if they were still the old 500w jobbies up there burning away, when 1/3 of the week technically is supposed to be no one there. (24/5 site)

Good news is we have finally busted the hurdle of solar, we are likely to be getting into something like 1-2MW of panels next year. We have acres of unused land so makes loads of sense.

Large industrial with big roofs should have solar on them as much as possible to help.

Costs to commercial/industrial going up is going to cause price hikes on lots of goods/services as well.

Soldato

New levels of delusion even by your usual high (low?) standards :cry:

Soldato
"This whole mess is Labour's fault because they haven't properly held the Conservative government to account." Amazing.
Thats not what I’ve said but you clearly agree that the opposition is hopeless if they have no part to play.

No comeback on the money or Corbyn parts either lol

Caporegime
Can we just not on the whole Tory vs Labour argument? I'm sure both are equally incapable.

There's been no one good to vote for in years. I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to vote in a GE.

I blame them all.

Tories being tories and Labour being absolutely useless as an opposition.

As to parties securing out future? I also blame them all. We could have been building nuclear power stations for years. This isn't just hindsight. I've always thought we should go to nuclear until renewables are fully up to speed.

Large industrial with big roofs should have solar on them as much as possible to help.

Costs to commercial/industrial going up is going to cause price hikes on lots of goods/services as well.

Issue for us is, without going into too much detail, we had a fire in one of our plants (not UK) that basically levelled a factory about 6-7 years ago.
It was a flagship solar project and was the trial. Was eventually traced back to a faulty bit of high voltage wiring.
At that point they basically ditched any solar the moment anyone proposed it.

We can avoid putting them on buildings so its been a long battle to say look its like 100 meters away from the nearest building without our US based exec board dismissing it without even looking.

Back
Top Bottom