Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
It makes me chuckle how I see new housing developments spring up, all with gas combination boilers installed as opposed to air source/ground source heat pumps. There was also a time when solar panels were fitted to new builds and I don't see that anymore. Non fossil fuel burning device to heat your home and water (assuming electrical source comes from renewables) and a solar panels to generate electricity for you to use or pump back into the National Grid.

No doubt persistent lobbying from the house building industry ensured these were not mandatory requirements for new homes, probably due to the additional costs that they would have to take on.

I suppose it's little things like that ultimately add up.

Soldato
No explanation on the face of the earth is capable of digging you out of the hole you dug yourself.

I'll be honest though, it's made for a great Friday afternoon chuckle :D
Post 9701.. just trying to get into that leftie mindset to try and understand them better but regardless youre welcome..

Associate
if i had the cash spare I might consider it, the roi is still many many years.
I have solar and yes, my bills are lower as a result. It's also the only feasible way I can run AC on full all day in weather like this.
Solar is 100% going to lower your bills, but whether it makes sense for you is something you'd need to work out.

Additionally bigger upfront cost, payback will be measured in years, but it's green energy and eventually it will pay for itself and provide you with clean energy for free.

I am getting solar later this month, already booked.
Solar you need to make sure you have a big enough roof that gets a enough sun all day long, and your not planning on moving for 10 years.

Without grants it's a massive outlay that will pay back over time, but I suspect grants will come back at some point.
I already have it, had it since September 2017, best thing I've ever done to be honest for the house. The amount of power I would use for the crunching and folding and what I used to do mining wise when it was actually viable back when I first had the solar.. Not to mention now running the AC unit, that takes a lovely 1150W from the wall without anything else from the house being on...

I have a fairly small roof but I have 12 panels which are 305w each, can over produce to about 4000w at absolute all out (wind behind it type thing) but last few days I've seen nearly 25kW made a day which is great. I think max production I've seen from my solar has been about 30kW in a days production.

My feed back tariff isn't great but it was done before they took it away and just do the 'whatever you export is all you get paid pennies for' which I hate.. Not that the 5p or so I get for each kW is produced and what I get for the export is what I'd call great, its better than nothing.
What does anyone else get for their feed in tariffs?

Commissario
This thread I've been looking over for the last few days and I was just wondering, how of how many people reply in the thread, how many have solar panels on their own home at the moment?

I just thought I'd ask as I was interested purely to find out if the people with solar have noticed a drop or increase in their bills...
About 2 weeks ago, 80% plus of our daily usage, but we're exporting some as the battery fills up and doesn't quite last the whole night (or when the cooker and hob are on we exceed the 3k the battery can output).
Solar you need to make sure you have a big enough roof that gets a enough sun all day long, and your not planning on moving for 10 years.

Without grants it's a massive outlay that will pay back over time, but I suspect grants will come back at some point.

Our roof is about average size for a 3 bed 70's house, we're lucky in that it's SSE facing so pretty good for most of the day (at the moment it starts generating about an hour after dawn and stops generating about 2 hours before dusk as the sun goes fully behind the house).

4.7k of panels are producing around 30kw a day in this weather, during the much cloudier weather immediately after they were first fitted it was around 18kw.

It's a huge cost :( but for us we reckon the payback under April's cost will be about 8 years, under Octobers projected pricing around 4-5 years. we're not planning on moving any time soon, the key thing is to get a battery to allow you to make use of as much of what is produced as possible so you're not exporting it to the grid (at as little as 1/9th of what it costs to import it).
We took one look at the projected price rises and started doing the maths, as we are very heavy users (around 2.5x average), and were very very fortunate in that we could drop the money now to hopefully protect ourselves a bit in the future (especially if inflation goes how it's looking, as there is no way we're getting ~5-10% interest in the bank).

V F

V F

Soldato
This thread I've been looking over for the last few days and I was just wondering, how of how many people reply in the thread, how many have solar panels on their own home at the moment?

I just thought I'd ask as I was interested purely to find out if the people with solar have noticed a drop or increase in their bills...

I've been trying to get solar panels but E.On says we don't get enough sunshine to make it worthwhile. Yet the back of the house gets about 12 - 14 hours of sunlight. Cannot get it without forking out stupid amounts of money.

Commissario
I've been trying to get solar panels but E.On says we don't get enough sunshine to make it worthwhile. Yet the back of the house gets about 12 - 14 hours of sunlight. Cannot get it without forking out stupid amounts of money.
you doon't have to go with your electricity supplier, iirc there is an eu website that lets you enter in your location and facing of the house you want to put the panels on and it gives you an estimate of your monthly production based on that, your wattage of panels, and the angle of your roof.

Caporegime

Grants arent needed. a 12kw array is about £10k now and more efficient than old ones. With electric set to be 60p per kwh come October, depending on your usage you could see your £10k back in just a few years.

Back
Top Bottom