Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Caporegime
It won't happen, a reckoning or revolution. No. What is your alternative to capitalism BTW?
The problem isn't capitalism it's the abuse of it as crony capitalism that only sates parasites and incentivises unproductive exploitation. A reckoning will happen eventually because the majority will have nothing to lose.

Soldato
Electric standing charge £15 a month
51p a kw
Gas 17p a kw
£8 a month standing charge.
Scottish Power. fixed for 1 year, that's all they'd offer me.

Soldato
So sacrificing gas powered electric so we can use the gas? You still need electric to run central heating.. it makes no sense

We only have, what, 4-5 days of gas storage? If supplies are hit then that amount of gas would need to be stretched over longer periods, hence the need to turn off the gas users, i.e. gas power stations. They're basically saying the gas might need rationing, and if something needs rationing it needs to be used less. Like shipwreck survivors rationing water.

I think in South Africa they do this, they have schedules where supplies are turned off https://www.eskom.co.za/distribution/customer-service/outages/municipal-loadshedding-schedules/

Soldato
The problem isn't capitalism it's the abuse of it as crony capitalism that only sates parasites and incentivises unproductive exploitation. A reckoning will happen eventually because the majority will have nothing to lose.
I am not sure what you mean by a "reckoning" as it pertains to Saudi Arabia. The Saudis could simply decide to not pump the oil out of the ground and they'll just be fine (for a long time). Whereas, the rest of the world that relies on said oil (and gas) will be in anarchy.

Don
Turning off gas generation is more to do with stretching gas for heating, even if we do have ittermittent electric outages, best case is gas is turned off and hydro/coal that might otherwise not be used would pick up the slack.

People won't freeze to death going without electric for 6 hours, but running out of gas for days on end could lead to deaths if we are reliant on LPG imports from the USA.

Soldato
We only have, what, 4-5 days of gas storage? If supplies are hit then that amount of gas would need to be stretched over longer periods, hence the need to turn off the gas users, i.e. gas power stations. They're basically saying the gas might need rationing, and if something needs rationing it needs to be used less. Like shipwreck survivors rationing water.
I imagine that turning off gas power stations to conserve gas will cause the need for rolling brownouts. That'll certainly please the populace.

EDIT: What jokestar said.

Soldato

I think in South Africa they do this, they have schedules where supplies are turned off https://www.eskom.co.za/distribution/customer-service/outages/municipal-loadshedding-schedules/
9 days worth should be added to this within the next couple of months.

Soldato
I imagine that turning off gas power stations to conserve gas will cause the need for rolling brownouts. That'll certainly please the populace.

EDIT: What jokestar said.
Indeed it probably would, hence it seems they're trying to rename rolling blackouts to load shedding to make it sound less serious, unless there's a technical difference between the two terms?

Soldato
how’s this for a fix, no exit fees;
Electricity standing charge: 49.65p
Electricity unit: 52.60p kWh
Gas standing charge: 27.22p
Gas unit:13.32p kWh

I guess it’s better to go standard rate, as this fix will be above what they expect come October? But guess it could mean I’m better off come January. Argh. It’s so confusing! Why can’t they be transparent and publish predicted unit and sc rates.

Currently at 18.02p elec standing/19.53p unit and 19.27p gas standing/3.8p gas unit so a big jump up!

Last edited:
Don
Indeed it probably would, hence it seems they're trying to rename rolling blackouts to load shedding to make it sound less serious, unless there's a technical difference between the two terms?
Absolutely no difference, load shedding is the technical term for turning off less critcal users to preserve more critical users, in this case it would be ensuring the maximum amount of gas is reserved for domestic heating (industry that relies on gas consumption for whatever they make can also expect to be cut off).

dod

dod

Soldato
Not surprised, chinese takeaway in town went from £1k a quarter on gas to £10k and decided to close down as a result.

There's more to that story I believe. The big increase was due to out of contract rates being quoted which are normally punitive. A contract will "only" be about three times his current pricing which sounds about right at the moment

Soldato

V F

V F

Soldato
Not surprised, chinese takeaway in town went from £1k a quarter on gas to £10k and decided to close down as a result.

I assume you're subscribed to that? Since it requires subscription to read it.

At times it feels like everyone has become a Craig Whyte.

Soldato
Smart meters will mean they can turn off just those that are not vulnerable instead of whole neighbourhood's

Last edited:
Soldato
Huh? You like making things up?
No it is pretty much one of the core reasons for getting the public to install them, that and being able to change tarrif by the hour.

Don't tell me you bought the guff about saving you money?

Smart meters are used to detect which households are consuming below the prescribed limit. Households that comply remain connected. Non-compliers get remotely switched off (presumably with a chance to get back on when they reduce their demand).

Soldato
No it is pretty much one of the core reasons for getting the public to install them, that and being able to change tarrif by the hour.

Don't tell me you bought the guff about saving you money?

You don't have a clue how current smart meters work. They can't cut off supply. You are making stuff up. They would have to physically come and switch it off outside. Smart meters simply take readings, they do nothing else and definitely don't control circuits.

Soldato
I *think* smart meters can remotely cut supply, but I've not seen a single case where they've done it yet in the UK.

They'd get a lock of backlash for doing it, so I can only see them pursuing that course of action if they've gone done other avenues first.

Agree they won't save you money, but the IHD does make it easier to see usage in real time, which can be used as a tool to help save you money if you use it right.

Back
Top Bottom