Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Soldato
I *think* smart meters can remotely cut supply, but I've not seen a single case where they've done it yet in the UK.

They'd get a lock of backlash for doing it, so I can only see them pursuing that course of action if they've gone done other avenues first.

Agree they won't save you money, but the IHD does make it easier to see usage in real time, which can be used as a tool to help save you money if you use it right.

They definitely can't remotely cut supply via smart meters installed in people's homes today.

It requires a new generation of smart meter to control the circuit.

Soldato
Here is an article on this. It would also require additional legislation it looks like.

Under the plans all homes would need to have a third generation smart meter installed, to include a function that allows meters in the home to receive and carry out orders made by the energy networks.

This would dramatically alter the role of smart meters, which are currently capable only of sending data on energy use to energy networks.

If passed unchallenged, these 'modifications' to the law would mean that electric vehicle owners could plug in at the end of the day and wake up without sufficient charge to travel the next morning.

Don
Here is an article on this. It would also require additional legislation it looks like.

Current gen meters (SMETS2) can have their software updated (remotely) to enable remote disconnection by using the prepayment supply disconnect hardware.

Though yes, it needs a change in the law to allow them to do it.

Soldato
Current gen meters can have their software updated (remotely) to enable remote disconnection by using the prepayment supply disconnect hardware.

Though yes, it needs a change in the law to allow them to do it.

So the functionality has to be created first? Does this apply to SMETS1? Have you seen working versions of this update that can actually be rolled out without massive testing or incompatibility issues?

Also turning a meter into a prepayment meter, isn't really a disconnection. You just need to prepay.

Don
So the functionality has to be created first? Does this apply to SMETS1? Have you seen working versions of this update that can actually be rolled out without massive testing or incompatibility issues?
SMETS1 can’t be updated remotely, SMETS2 meters can have their software updated via the DCC network seemingly.

Software wise I doubt they’re particularly complicated.

V F

V F

Soldato
SMETS1 can’t be updated remotely, SMETS2 meters can have their software updated via the DCC network seemingly.

Software wise I doubt they’re particularly complicated.

I don't think I have either. My box looks nothing like SMETS1 or SMETS2 but there is a digital portable smart meter that plugs into the wall socket or powered via battery. It's just an RCD box with no digital inputs or screen.

Soldato
Interesting. NZ must be producing electricity through more renewable or sustainable routes?
Possibly. I don't really follow these things closely.

But we do have 3 free hours per day where we tend to cluster our heavy electrical usage (washing machine, dryer, showers, cooking where possible, etc).

We use a log burner for heating so we don't pay for electrical heating in the house.

Our bill is about £80 a month

Soldato
I know this sounds rough, but we as a nation need to get used to high prices moving forward. The world is in for tough times ahead due to climate change and if energy prices are bad now I wonder what they will be in 5 years or even 10 from now.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
I know this sounds rough, but we as a nation need to get used to high price moving forward. The world is in for tough times ahead due to climate change and if energy prices are bad now I wonder what they will be in 5 years or even 10 from now.

They said tough times after 2009. I don't think they know what the real tough times that are coming. We're going to be worse than what 2008-10 brought us. Even when some poorer children were eating out of bins in school playgrounds last early decade.

Associate
I know this sounds rough, but we as a nation need to get used to high price moving forward. The world is in for tough times ahead due to climate change and if energy prices are bad now I wonder what they will be in 5 years or even 10 from now.

So if they keep on climbing at the rate they’re you are happy to suck that up

Everyone would be broke

Commissario
Monzo has an option on the app to switch suppliers. When I put in our actual energy use figures, it quotes me £586/month to switch to Octopus.

I literally cannot afford that. If Shell (who I’m currently with) charges me the same, I quite simply won’t be able to pay it.

When we run out of flour, I’ll have to start buying bread rather than baking because it’ll be cheaper. I genuinely don’t see how we will be able to have the heating above 15°C this winter. I need new windows throughout the whole house but can’t afford to get them done.

We use a lot of juice and I’m already energy saving. RPis that used to be on 24/7 have been switched off. My NAS shuts down for seven hours overnight. All bulbs have been changed to LEDs already.

Soldato
I know this sounds rough, but we as a nation need to get used to high prices moving forward. The world is in for tough times ahead due to climate change and if energy prices are bad now I wonder what they will be in 5 years or even 10 from now.
I don't think we do need to get used to it, I think if everyone pulled in the same direction we could make significant changes to the way the country works.

Soldato
Monzo has an option on the app to switch suppliers. When I put in our actual energy use figures, it quotes me £586/month to switch to Octopus.

I literally cannot afford that. If Shell (who I’m currently with) charges me the same, I quite simply won’t be able to pay it.

When we run out of flour, I’ll have to start buying bread rather than baking because it’ll be cheaper. I genuinely don’t see how we will be able to have the heating above 15°C this winter. I need new windows throughout the whole house but can’t afford to get them done.

We use a lot of juice and I’m already energy saving. RPis that used to be on 24/7 have been switched off. My NAS shuts down for seven hours overnight. All bulbs have been changed to LEDs already.

Last edited:
Soldato

How are you using so much power to begin with?
On standard tariff we currently use £100 a month for gas and electricity. It will go to almost £200 in October due to the increase. This is for 3 adults. We will not be putting the heating on.

Back
Top Bottom