Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I'm not going to use Monzo to switch, it's just that it was offered to me in the app so I thought I'd have a look and see what it said.

Combi boiler, radiators.

Not at the moment. I have used those plastic clingfilm type sheets in the past, I suspect I'm going to have to do the same again this year.

Electricity is 6,363 kWh and gas is 11,163 kWh according to my most recent bill.
You're already doing the right things then, turning off electricals when not in use, etc. I still keep my PC on 24/7, mostly to prevent hard drive failure. If I thought an SSD would pay off, I'd buy one - realistically, I think it'll take a few years to pay for itself.

Gas usage will go down as you improve insulation throughout your home. I'm going to try not putting the heating on at all this winter, unless it's absolutely necessary - I'll probably end up caving in for Christmas and Boxing day, though. :o

If we don't have the heating on, it'll be dangerously low in here, probably below 10°C.
Is that because of poor insulation? I'm not sure if there is anybody who installs insulation from government or energy company grants these days, but it might be worth looking around.

If we don't have the heating on, it'll be dangerously low in here, probably below 10°C.

How come you still have single glazing, is it an old protected building or just the cost of having it done?

I'd look at finding a way to improve that as you are throwing money away on heating if its just going through the windows, that cling film stuff you used before can help if installed carefully. Alternatively you can get acrylic sheet cut to act as second pane, place like the clingfilm with an air gap and use a seal to keep it air tight.

Its a nuisance as you can't open the window but it does keep the heat in and stops condensation.

have you checked about your smets 1 meter? I had go with a smets1 no problem at all. i have since upgraded.it as it may have caused issues with my exported energy payments but it was fine for Go. I think it depends on the exact model of meter.

I had a SMETS1 ("Liberty 100") when I first joined Go, and there were no issues with them using it - as you say it probably depends on exactly which model.

They can't switch the meter out to SMETS2 without being charged, so they'll charge you for doing it.

SMETS1 in theory can do 30 min readings and should be fine for GO, but I don't think all of the SMETS1 meters are working on all suppliers still, they're trying to change that by updating them afaik.

I had mine swapped from SMETS1 to SMETS2 recently (middle of July) - they came to do my old dumb gas meter and did the electric at the same time.

Surely the man is allowed a holiday? its not like this is a short term problem..... It is a million miles away from Dominic Raab's holiday shenanigans imo. (and i am not even saying this with a political axe to grind....... any media pushing an agenda over this is about as weak sauce as having a go at Octopus CEO for letting their staff have a few drinks during a Friday 4pm meeting imo
We can all get away https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ece-wife-Carrie-SECOND-holiday-two-weeks.html

Is that because of poor insulation? I'm not sure if there is anybody who installs insulation from government or energy company grants these days, but it might be worth looking around.
It's the windows. They're old, they don't fit properly and the wind just comes through.

We tried to get cavity wall insulation done a few years back when there were grants, it was all booked, the company came out and told us it couldn't be done. I don't remember the reason why.

How come you still have single glazing, is it an old protected building or just the cost of having it done?
I can't afford the £15k to have it done.

Maybe you got it because you had the old dumb gas meter, but from what Bulb told me, they get charged to replace SMETS1 with SMETS2 meters.
Probably because there was no valid reason for them to spend the money replacing it.

If they can read it, or they plan to onboard it in time, it’s fine as far as they are concerned.

It's the windows. They're old, they don't fit properly and the wind just comes through.

We tried to get cavity wall insulation done a few years back when there were grants, it was all booked, the company came out and told us it couldn't be done. I don't remember the reason why.
Are your walls solid brick, with tie bricks to keep the two layers stable? If so, they can't be cavity filled, but you can have insulation put on the outside walls.

Maybe you got it because you had the old dumb gas meter, but from what Bulb told me, they get charged to replace SMETS1 with SMETS2 meters.
EDF didn't charge me to rip out my SMETS1 gas and electric meters and replace them with SMETS2 meters. In fact, they were more than happy to swap them out, no questions asked.

I can't afford the £15k to have it done.
Look at DIY secondary glazing options.

This is the sort of thing you can do with transparent acrylic sheet, obviously if you have large windows it will be more expensive

https://www.theplasticpeople.co.uk/magnetglaze-double-glazing-kit/ - No idea if this company if any good, was top search result.
https://clearviewsg.co.uk/diy-secondary-glazing/ - bit more permanent

Thick curtains will help as well.

EDF didn't charge me to rip out my SMETS1 gas and electric meters and replace them with SMETS2 meters. In fact, they were more than happy to swap them out, no questions asked.

This type of thing doesn't seem uncommon, because if I look at this page it also suggests other people having the same issue - https://community.bulb.co.uk/t/its-...ter-upgrade-cant-switch-to-ev-tariff/104823/5

There are fines levied for swapping out SMETS1 to SMETS2, people may have just gotten lucky? People in that thread I linked said EDF had the same stance, not swapping SMETS1 for SMETS2 for free.

I expect some dedication - French govt had made it's freeze anouncement a couple of weeks back, gordon brown hasn't been mute;
Indeed, I'm not sure why HofP business is suspended for so long, do other countries have this summer vaccum.

psychologically Keir brought up the vacation without prompting in the interview so he seems to feel guilty
It just shows utter contempt for labour voters - criticise the PM and Chancellor for going on holiday whist going on holiday yourself and then giving us all that prime minister in waiting bull.

I dont see Truss going on holiday and she is the real prime minister in waiting lol..

I just renewed on a fixed rate for 12 months on Octopus GO. Our cost of electricity is going from 16p per KWh to 40p per KWh.

I just did the sums and two 15 minute showers a day and 2 loads of washing in the tumble drier a day will cost £165 a month. That is not including any other use of electric! We are screwed. There are going to be loads more smelly people going about soon.

The tumble drier alone is going to cost us £114 a month! I think it might be cheaper to just go to Primark and buy new clothes each day and throw the dirty ones in the bin!

I just renewed on a fixed rate for 12 months on Octopus GO. Our cost of electricity is going from 16p per KWh to 40p per KWh.

I just did the sums and two 15 minute showers a day and 2 loads of washing in the tumble drier a day will cost £165 a month. That is not including any other use of electric! We are screwed. There are going to be loads more smelly people going about soon.

The tumble drier alone is going to cost us £114 a month! I think it might be cheaper to just go to Primark and buy new clothes each day and throw the dirty ones in the bin!
Why on earth are you using the tumble drier? At all, let alone twice a day?!

Join a gym - unlimited showers for £15 / month..

Heat pump tumble dryer?

Back
Top Bottom